Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:43:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to power this mobo for mining  (Read 113 times)
Looper_U (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 16

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 30, 2021, 02:37:49 PM

Guys please take a good look at the picture below and you will see where my green arrows are pointing, the thing is I don't know if I have to power those slots for the pcie slots to work or I don't need to power them at all? Or I just need one molex or just one 6pin inserted into the motherboard

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
July 30, 2021, 02:52:56 PM

No you dont need because your risers are allready powered risers.
Looper_U (OP)

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 30, 2021, 04:21:37 PM

Thanks for replying @batsonxl so what's going to happen if I decide to power that slots? Will it feed all those pcie slots power? I mean if I'm using a riser that has no power, something like just normal pcie extender with no power

miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
July 30, 2021, 04:51:34 PM

If you are using a full extender not riser (extender doenst have power connector) then you will need bus power.  This is very hard on a mobo as multiple cards are not generally designed to get up to 75W each from mobo.  This is why miners use Risers which have separate power connectors.  Risers also dont pass power from mobo to riser/gpu.

Since you will need power from bus you will need to plug either a molex 4 pin or pcie6 pin into one of those two slots.  As best as i can tell from the poorly done manual they are  wired the same so either should work.  I would us the 6pin as it allows more watts than the 4 pin.

In looking at this only gpu0 will have full power from mobo...the short slots should just use standard risers meaning they get a power plug each and dont use mobo power.

I would do the same for the long slot on gpu0 and then not worry about pcie power. 
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
July 30, 2021, 07:19:58 PM

Thanks for replying @batsonxl so what's going to happen if I decide to power that slots? Will it feed all those pcie slots power? I mean if I'm using a riser that has no power, something like just normal pcie extender with no power
Nothing will happen it will work like used to be. It will help you ONLY if you decide use extender.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 04:19:00 AM

Reason why they put that there is so you don't pull the +12V power from the motherboard connector. So if you put the GPU inside the actual slot or use an extender ribbon (not a riser) then it'll need to pull +12V to power the GPU.

They do this on regular gaming motherboards also, usually there is an aux connector where you can connect a SATA or Molex connector. And what that does is if you got a SLI setup going then the +12V thats required to power the cards plus the memory, cpu, etc will need to pull the power from the motherboard connector and might overload that wire. Hence if you use aux power it'll pull less current and you don't need to worry about anything melting.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 05:50:32 PM

What is the name of this MOBO? Looks like those Chinese motherboards aka colorful and others that have no brand name, anyways they did their jobs right if you don't mess things up yourself, forget those slots since you will be using risers anyways, just connect risers and start mining
Looper_U (OP)

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
August 07, 2021, 05:10:31 PM

It's indeed a Chinese motherboard but I've power it up running hive OS right now, another issue I'm facing is it only detect 5 GPUs if I try inserting a 6th GPU the motherboard will trip off and restart again

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: