Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:26:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering few Vega at once  (Read 156 times)
Bitbtc8 (OP)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 07:32:14 PM

I'm trying to power up to 6 Vega 56 GPUs and they have 2x 8pin power slot on them but my power supply only has 4x 8pin plugs so I can only power two Vega 56 cards so my question is are there server power supply that can power many Vega 56 GPU at once ?

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 08:34:06 PM

Sure an hp1200w server psu with breakout board will do this no problem. 

Google 1200w server psu with breakout board

Bitbtc8 (OP)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
August 03, 2021, 07:00:57 PM

The 1200 watt power I have (akasa) don't have enough 8pin plugs to power all the graphic cards since you need two 8pin plugs to power a single Vega card, this is a big problem right now as I have to get another power I guess

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
August 03, 2021, 07:48:21 PM

You can also get 8pin splitter. so 1 cable for 1 vega
ZaebaloRegitsa4

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 03, 2021, 09:49:34 PM

So if you use 100 splitters, you can connect 100 video cards to one cable! [sarcasm]

I'm trying to power up to 6 Vega 56 GPUs and they have 2x 8pin power slot on them but my power supply only has 4x 8pin plugs so I can only power two Vega 56 cards so my question is are there server power supply that can power many Vega 56 GPU at once ?
First, make sure that your power supply can withstand this load. ~180W per vega in ETH.
Then you can buy wires with 8pin connectors and solder them to the 12V bus inside the power supply. It's much easier than it seems.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32887487329.html
https://aliexpress.ru/item/33002013028.html
Or you can cut all the unnecessary wires. Then connect all the yellow wires (+12) together and all the black wires (-) together. Next connect new 8pin wires to them.
anu1908

Activity: 770
Merit: 268

View Profile
August 04, 2021, 08:11:59 AM

if you're not familiar with electronics, i don't think you should try to solder your power supply. leave it to the professional, or just buy another power supply. using a splitter might be a bad idea if the load is bigger than what 8 pin cable can withstand. i've seen a lot of burned cables/power supply on youtube due to this, cmiiiw.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1033

View Profile
August 04, 2021, 10:07:14 PM

The 1200 watt power I have (akasa) don't have enough 8pin plugs to power all the graphic cards since you need two 8pin plugs to power a single Vega card, this is a big problem right now as I have to get another power I guess
In your case, either you use 2 ATX power supplies or order a server power supply with the required number of connectors.
It is better to start 2 power supplies with this synchronizer.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32834557384.html
You can buy a second power supply for your mining farm

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
August 05, 2021, 09:10:39 AM

So if you use 100 splitters, you can connect 100 video cards to one cable! [sarcasm]

Are you blind reading. 1 cable 1 CARD.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
August 05, 2021, 12:30:41 PM

Are they need the 2x8 Pin connectors? I ran my RX570 only with 1x 6Pin and most of this cards have 2x 8Pin. My 1070 and 1070tis all run with only 1x 8Pin also.

1x 8 Pin deliver 150watts + 75watts over the riser - so 1x 8Pin is enough
TheMimic1

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
August 05, 2021, 12:51:28 PM

Get an extra power supply, 700 or 850watt and a add2psu to use two power supply at once on a motherboard, this won't cost you much compare to buying a 1600 watt power or 2000 watt

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     ITSMYNE     ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social-plus NFT marketplace for official sports NFTs
[      t w i t t e r      ]  [    t e l e g r a m    ]  [   i n s t a g r a m   ]  [      d i s c o r d      ]
ZaebaloRegitsa4

View Profile
August 05, 2021, 01:09:41 PM

Are you blind reading. 1 cable 1 CARD.
Wake up akasa 1200W has dual 8pin connectors on the same cable!
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
August 05, 2021, 03:26:35 PM

Do not use a splitter where you split the 8 pin PCIe connector into 2 - 8 Pin PCIe, you are asking for trouble that way. Even if you properly undervolt, what will happen if one day due to some software bug, it reverts the voltage back to stock and you end up pulling more current than before. Very dangerious.

There are only 2 ways to do with this. You need to get one of those heavy duty server PSUs and make sure you got enough 8pin PCIe connectors. Another method is to use 2 psu on the same rig. Buy that Add2PSU adapter and make sure you don't mix any voltages together to prevent current from flowing into one PSU to another and you should be good.

Another method is just get another motherboard and run half of them on one rig instead of all 6.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
ZaebaloRegitsa4

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 04:36:42 PM

Do not use a splitter where you split the 8 pin PCIe connector into 2 - 8 Pin PCIe, you are asking for trouble that way. Even if you properly undervolt, what will happen if one day due to some software bug, it reverts the voltage back to stock and you end up pulling more current than before. Very dangerious.
I will only add that vegas have an unpleasant feature. If the 8pin power is turned off but the socket power is saved, it will burn 100%.
My friend lost several cards by this way.
Gunday_07

Activity: 280
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 07:36:41 PM

Vega GPUs are power consuming I only have two Vega 56 and I don't plan on adding more Vega 56 to my list, would definitely sell once I got my ROI back, I have a Nvidia rig with 6 GPUs and it consumes 460 watt from wall and the Vega rig is just two Vega 56 and they consume 550 watts @ 88MH on ETH while the Nvidia is doing 185MH, they are such a bad cards unless your electricity bill is cheap

fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 11, 2021, 06:24:29 AM

evga should be enough pcie power cable, but dont use splitter for vega cards it will burn the cable, u can buy other pcie cable from aliexpress depend on psu model,
i do recommend antec hcp platinum 1300w minimum, 2x1000w should be perfect, no need buy additional pcie cables

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀