Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:21:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Running  (Read 98 times)
poby (OP)

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 22, 2021, 02:15:18 AM
Merited by nc50lc (2)

...was a classic 70's scifi flick (which most of you probably haven't seen) but that's not what this thread is about  Grin

A few months ago, I decided to replace all the fans in my rigs with noctuas with the goal of reducing the noise level.  72 fans later, I am impressed with the result. 

My cards are Gigabyte 1070s and 1070tis, 3 rigs, 8 per rig.

They now run so quiet to be virtually inaudible unless it's a very quiet room.  In fact the main remaining noise was from the Silverstone 1500ti power supply so I went a step further and replaced that fan with a noctua NF14 industrial, connected to a motherboard header for control and monitoring.  My rigs are now so quiet that I can use them in a bedroom (which is ideal during winter.)  Another advantage is noctuas are rated for 150,000 hours which is like 20 years and laugh at dusty hot environments.  The stock fans began to seize up after 6 months and over the years I have replaced all the original sleeve bearings with ball bearings which stopped them seizing up but didn't help with the noise.

Cooling seems to be slightly improved too as temperatures with the fans running at maximum speed are slightly less than the originals running at their maximum speed.  The only downsides are losing the pretty lights (meh) and the fan calibration monitoring is completely wrong now as the bios thinks 4200rpm is 100% (original fan), so when the noctuas are running at maximum (2200 rpm) monitoring indicates 54%  This makes absolutely no difference to the cooling; it's just I need to do some mental gymnastics to determine the real percent.

And finally, the noctuas use less power.  Around 5 to 7 watts per card which adds up when you multiply it by 24 cards running 24/7.  Around 3kw less per day.  Which adds up over time.

So in summary:

PROS

Very quiet!
Way less prone to failure.
Slightly better cooling.
Slightly less power used.

CONS

Expensive x 24
Displayed fan percent incorrect.
Losing the pretty lights.

The result while costly, means that even when mining barely covers the cost of the electricity, I can happily run my rigs during during winter, using them as heaters.  Each rig draws around 1100 watts which provides the same heat as an 1100 watt heater.  BUT they are actually quieter than an equivalently powered heater!

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
August 22, 2021, 03:18:37 AM

Yeah those fans are great. I used them before with an undervolted Antminer S3/S5 and it ran fairly quiet (not silent) compared to the stock fan. And surprisngly it pulled enough air to provide adequate cooling even if the room temp was fairly high.

The only reason why I didn't use more of them is because they are crazy expensive. And I looked at other brands of "silent" fans but none came close, there werent even any chinese clones which you could get cheaper.

Love the setup, very clean.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 22, 2021, 11:27:17 AM

Everything was done very carefully. I will not flash photos of my video cards, because everything is crooked and the fans are attached to the cable ties.
This does not affect the quality of cooling, but they work louder. but in my case it doesn't matter.
I don't understand why you did vertical installation of video cards. Thermal pads on these video cards do not emit liquid.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
poby (OP)

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 22, 2021, 12:38:16 PM

I don't understand why you did vertical installation of video cards. Thermal pads on these video cards do not emit liquid.

I designed the rig to:

1. Maximum air space between cards.
2. Have a taller narrower form factor.  (Makes it easier to pick up and move not having to bend down so much.)
3. So I can comfortably fit 8 cards in an area where normally you would only have 6.

...and finally because personally, I think it looks more bad-ass!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: