Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:30:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What's your risk management in futures trading?
use StopLoss - 5 (62.5%)
adjust Margin - 3 (37.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using stop loss vs. margin adjustment  (Read 165 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
btcb3g1nn3r (OP)

Activity: 177
Merit: 32

View Profile
August 28, 2021, 05:37:50 AM

hello,

I am not a stop loss fan, I'm using margin adjustment instead, I accept the risk of market crash or pump but I use the right leverage that in general fits the day/week evolution for a particular coin.
What about you? Did you use both methods for keeping your position in profit? Which one you consider better?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zilon

Activity: 966
Merit: 421

Bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2021, 06:01:01 AM

Margin adjustment is still a good alternative but what if the market goes against you and takes longer time to retrace back wouldn't your emotion push you to close your trade with even higher losses compared to the little loss you would have gotten if you used a stop loss. Both are good but for me I prefer using stop loss since it saves my account a lot
StanleyBoyle

Activity: 93
Merit: 23

What you worry about will control you

View Profile
August 28, 2021, 06:59:03 AM

hello,

I am not a stop loss fan, I'm using margin adjustment instead, I accept the risk of market crash or pump but I use the right leverage that in general fits the day/week evolution for a particular coin.
What about you? Did you use both methods for keeping your position in profit? Which one you consider better?

Thanks
I kind of think that you must set a red line for leveraged trading. Under no circumstances should you exceed the red line,As long as you exceed the red line, it means that there is a problem with your mentality,Regardless of fear or greed, you should specify an indicator. Because greed is betting on all assets, you cannot choose liberation because of fear.
GreatArkansas
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1345

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2021, 08:58:51 AM

I'll go with using a stop loss. It will not make your plan destroyed or abandoned.
A good trade is always following your plan. Using stop loss is always a good idea.

On adjusting the margin, why you are adjusting it? Because your analysis becomes invalid? If so, the best way is to close your position or put stop loss, so your plan is still there.

Adjusting margin will just make you not move on a trade, there is always a good opportunity to enter a trade.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
btcb3g1nn3r (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2021, 09:16:20 AM

why adjusting the margin? Because you'll not lose anything, you can close your position as soon you're still in profit so then change the strategy or just wait till the market is more clear
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
August 28, 2021, 06:42:57 PM

By trading you can calculate monthly and you can do as daily. But of course you have to keep in mind the rate at which you will gain every day and how much you will gain monthly.If you calculate every day then you will set a monthly target. Because to calculate the loss and profit quickly.
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
August 28, 2021, 10:57:19 PM

Stop loss is a much better approach. Trading requires a lot of discipline and if you are to stick to your trading strategy, you have a chance of making some decent profits. By adjusting your margin, how far will you keep going in case the market trend keeps going against your open position?

Adjusting your margin might end up making much bigger loses than expected.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 28, 2021, 11:18:28 PM

I am more confident with the other. I'm more with stop loss but just like the usual traders advise.

Whatever is effective to you, stay to that.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
tvplus006
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1655

To the Moon

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2021, 10:31:43 AM

...Whatever is effective to you, stay to that.

When the market is very volatile, using a stop loss is harmful for the deposit, since it will be triggered regularly, and then the price will return to its original value and this can lead to its loss. In this case, in my opinion, it is preferable to reduce the margin and, accordingly, your risks will also decrease.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
ccFOUND

Activity: 69
Merit: 12

Invest in Wisdom - Only at ccFOUND

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2021, 02:20:03 PM

Margin adjustment is a very good way to add some extra margin and save your position from being liquidated, we know of potential risks but the risks are much less compared to a high leverage trade even with a stop loss as when wicks take place, they eat out almost all the stops before they start to stabilize and that's when this marginal adjustment can prove to be the best decision taken by a trader.

el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 30, 2021, 05:28:19 PM

I would say that margin adjustment is a lot better if it is what I mean it is. I do DCA all the time and that means if something falls then we are going to make a lot of money from it by just ignoring it and buying more when it falls even more. I do not care if it falls because usually the coins that I own are not coins that will suck in the future.

What I believe will happen is that most of the coins will not break over their ATH all that frequently, it sometimes takes years for it to happen, there are still tons of coins from top 20 in the 2017 peak time, that are no longer in top 20 now and they failed to break their ATH as well, however if you did DCA properly then you will be in profit and that is why I prefer to do DCA and buy more when it falls down to get my problem go away a lot faster.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2021, 11:02:31 PM

Margin adjustment is a very good way to add some extra margin and save your position from being liquidated, we know of potential risks but the risks are much less compared to a high leverage trade even with a stop loss as when wicks take place, they eat out almost all the stops before they start to stabilize and that's when this marginal adjustment can prove to be the best decision taken by a trader.
Why would you use very high leverage in the first place, knowing how risky or volatile crypto price movements can be?

The risk is even higher when you have no stop loss in place. Even a position of 2x can still easily get liquidated if there's a price trend in a specified direction.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
btcb3g1nn3r (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2021, 05:02:01 AM

ETH and BTC can be traded with high leverage, these coins won't move that much so margin adjustment can be easily done to recover during the impulse phases and still stay in profit area with your position
Ararbermas

Activity: 1988
Merit: 283

View Profile
August 31, 2021, 09:44:36 AM

hello,

Thanks
i don't used stop loss as well since i have full time to monitor the graph especially when it comes the candles sticks where i can determine the potential of the growth rate, so far i have no problem even through day trading wherein i can manage the right time to sell and buy, but for me it takes time because i want to make everything will follow on my technical analysis.. And also i never trade before sleeping because it's not safe since i don't used any tools to prevent losses when market crash.. Actually probably its not important especially if you have so much time to handle the situation of your trade. I mean stop lose are for those people only who don't enough time for it in my personal opinion.
palle11

Activity: 2310
Merit: 332

View Profile
August 31, 2021, 11:50:35 AM

Thanks

I guess you are playing with wide fire Op because stoploss is the best way to preserve your balance. Your account can be wiped off by a single mistake of not using stoploss. Leverage is not same with application of stoploss because while stop loss can stop your losses and you have your balance with you, using leverage won't stop your market order but it will slowly burn down.

Sterbens

Activity: 1848
Merit: 341

Duelbits.com

View Profile
August 31, 2021, 05:23:36 PM

Did you use both methods for keeping your position in profit? Which one you consider better?

Stop Loss is important to stop losses for a while, whereas if you are ready to make a margin then you must be prepared with all possibilities so that it does not happen again. The risk depends on how you trade on altcoins which have relatively high price fluctuations and fairly rapid declines.
Return to your adjustments when trading which if determines the target profit percentage.

DuelbitsSPORTS
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10% CASHBACK
          100% MULTICHARGER
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2021, 11:22:59 PM

ETH and BTC can be traded with high leverage, these coins won't move that much so margin adjustment can be easily done to recover during the impulse phases and still stay in profit area with your position

I don't know how long you have been trading derivatives using leverage, but I have done so with very high leverage and low leverage. Trying a high leverage with no stop loss?
Your margin won't stand a chance.

Who told you ETH and BTC don't move much. Below is a 5 minute chart of ETH today.

If you shorted or longed using 50x at for example $3234, your margin would get liquidated at $3266 and $3202 respectively

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Kimonoe

Activity: 700
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2021, 07:40:15 AM

Did you use both methods for keeping your position in profit? Which one you consider better?

Stop Loss is important to stop losses for a while, whereas if you are ready to make a margin then you must be prepared with all possibilities so that it does not happen again. The risk depends on how you trade on altcoins which have relatively high price fluctuations and fairly rapid declines.
Return to your adjustments when trading which if determines the target profit percentage.
It is very important to use a stop loss, because of course in a day we may not be in front of the market, especially if we are on the road and driving, of course with a stop loss will give a sense of security and comfort when doing other activities

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
faithupgrade

Activity: 475
Merit: 253

ARCS - A New World Token

View Profile
September 01, 2021, 08:27:51 AM

Due recent loss in futures, I decided not to use 100x anymore lols. I am using a leverage of 3x, I think this is more safe and practical for a not so very good trader like me. Always put a stop loss, there is no perfect person and we cannot predict the exact future.

▄▄██████▄
    ▄███████████
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄▄
 ▄████
█▀             ████▄
█████               █████▄
█████                 █████
█████               █████
 ▀████
█▄           ▄█████▀
  ▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
ARCS
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██████████████████████████     ██████████████████████████     ██████████████████████████     ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
A   N E W   W O R L D   T O K E N
|     WEBSITE     |     TWITTER     |   TELEGRAM   |     MEDIUM     |  WHITEPAPER  |
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██████████████████████████     ██████████████████████████     ██████████████████████████     ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Sterbens

Activity: 1848
Merit: 341

Duelbits.com

View Profile
September 01, 2021, 04:42:45 PM

]
It is very important to use a stop loss, because of course in a day we may not be in front of the market, especially if we are on the road and driving, of course with a stop loss will give a sense of security and comfort when doing other activities

That's how it should be, because stopping or limiting losses early is better, especially for those who are not very strong in long-term holdings. Then the stop loss method is the most effective way. In terms of using stop losses, either by installing indicators, resistance, or by using trend lines, everything can be adjusted to the needs of each trader.

DuelbitsSPORTS
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████