Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:15:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 second elevator speech  (Read 4357 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 10:03:42 PM

Ditto with that experience.
The first ten people I told about Bitcoins thought it was a ponzi scheme, it took me around half an hour each to convince them it wasn't.

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 02:41:12 AM

Bitcoin is a currency that was created by Bernie Madoff in 2008, it's backed by a large cache of du-rags and bottles of OE 800 malt liquor that are currently stored and protected by the Montana militia. If you would like to purchase a Bitcoin please send all your money to Nigeria.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 02:56:44 AM

Bitcoin is a currency that was created by Bernie Madoff in 2008, it's backed by a large cache of du-rags and bottles of OE 800 malt liquor that are currently stored and protected by the Montana militia. If you would like to purchase a Bitcoin please send all your money to Nigeria.

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times. Pen all your good ideas in E-Prime.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:10:49 PM

Hows this:
Bitcoin is a fundamental technology based on mathematics. It will do to banks what email did to the post office, but that's just the beginning. It took many years for fractal mathematics to go from making pretty pictures in movies to changing the way we understand the universe. Bitcoin will change the way we understand economics and how we function as a civilization.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:13:57 PM

It took many years for fractal mathematics to go from making pretty pictures in movies to changing the way we understand the universe.
This will only confuse people. Most people don't know about fractals. Most who do know, still see it as pretty pictures.

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:18:06 PM

It took many years for fractal mathematics to go from making pretty pictures in movies to changing the way we understand the universe.
This will only confuse people. Most people don't know about fractals. Most who do know, still see it as pretty pictures.

Heh, I was trying to think of an allegory based on math. Maybe I should use "It took many years for people to understand New Math."  Cheesy

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:21:49 PM

Heh, I was trying to think of an allegory based on math. Maybe I should use "It took many years for people to understand New Math and most still don't understand it."  Cheesy

FTFY
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 05:43:27 PM

I used: "With modern technology, the average person can run a bank from their back-pack." I also added "(If it takes off), governments would not be able to cut Iran and Syria off from the International banking system."

That second point is profound, if scary: not even governments can have their accounts frozen. The first point ensures that the average person can not have their accounts frozen either.

Edit: I also mentioned the concise, if technical: "Bitcoin is a peer to peer crypto-currency with a psuedonymous public transaction record."
I like that

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 05:46:59 PM

I used: "With modern technology, the average person can run a bank from their back-pack." I also added "(If it takes off), governments would not be able to cut Iran and Syria off from the International banking system."

That second point is profound, if scary: not even governments can have their accounts frozen. The first point ensures that the average person can not have their accounts frozen either.

Edit: I also mentioned the concise, if technical: "Bitcoin is a peer to peer crypto-currency with a psuedonymous public transaction record."
I like that

And mine?:

Bitcoin functions as a decentralized, peer-to-peer crypto-currency with a pseudonymous public transaction record.
BitcoinRedLight

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 07:19:20 PM

...think about it. Isn't this the way we all should be thinking?

Why
How
What

In that order. Not versa visa.

'Why' is near the root of the matter. I certainly agree.
But not everyone can hear the same
answer to that question.

People function at very different levels of
consciousness.

There are higher orders of answer
to 'Why'
than you or I are capable of hearing
even right now

But someone sophisticated enough
to know that
is not going to beat you or I
over the head
with that answer, albeit properly correct

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 09:57:43 PM

I like that

And mine?:

Bitcoin functions as a decentralized, peer-to-peer crypto-currency with a pseudonymous public transaction record.

Your definition is fine, but i was refering to his first speech, the "With modern technology..." thing. Smiley

Your definition is more completed than the phillip one, cause it add "decentralized" (and it's an important thing, especially when compared to thing like scamcoin that ARE NOT decentralized (closed source client? lol))

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 10:45:01 PM

I like that

And mine?:

Your definition is fine, but i was refering to his first speech, the "With modern technology..." thing. Smiley

Your definition is more completed than the phillip one, cause it add "decentralized" (and it's an important thing, especially when compared to thing like scamcoin that ARE NOT decentralized (closed source client? lol))

I see, now. Thanks for the pat on the back. Note, I also tossed out the 'is' to make it an active sentence.

I was going to post a YouTube video of E-Prime, and found a guy who, not only is into E-Prime, but against the Federal Reserve. Hope you enjoy this 3:15 video among others this guy is in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRAY3t1L-o
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 05:59:42 AM

Ponzi scheme is such an often overused and misunderstood term.

So is 'bank'.

This worries me (with reference to the "bank from a back-pack" idea). You can certainly put a (fire) safe in a back-pack, but security would still be a problem.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 06:59:21 PM

I think the solution lies within this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4

No need to watch the whole thing and, for those who've viewed it before, re-view it again starting at 2:00, or skip to 4:05 where I feel the answer lies.

I really liked that video.  Here is my try.

"My finances aren't anyone's business but my own. Bitcoin means I don't disclose or ask for anyone's permission when I make a transaction. Bitcoin lets me safely store, send, and receive money with anyone in the world for less than a penny per transaction. Unlike using my bank, credit card, or PayPal,  I am the only one who controls my money, and there is no middleman taking a cut." 

This is shorter that 30s, I might add, "It uses the same top-of-the-line encryption technology as the US government, so my money is more secure than if I stored in Fort Knox."

Might be a little weird to do it cold, but if you want to get bold you could try to buy coins from random people. Just be like "I need some bitcoins, do you know anyone?". You'll get like 100% nos of course, but you'll up exposure and it's just odd enough an interaction you'll probably get a solid % googling it later. And it'll help them understand right away that bitcoin isn't a MtGox(tm) product, you can buy it from your peers on the street.

Cool idea.

"Like Western Union via email and almost no fees."
Short and sweet.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 08:31:11 PM

Does a fee enter the equation if Bitcoin is not converted to fiat, e.g. transferring P2P and purchasing coffee or socks?
BitcoinRedLight

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 09:55:43 PM

Does a fee enter the equation if Bitcoin is not converted to fiat, e.g. transferring P2P and purchasing coffee or socks?

"Like Western Union via email."

That's even better.

(though Western Union has a stigma for fees)

Re: your question,
that of course leads to a currency discussion.
Don't get me wrong. Bitcoin can stand-up to any major existing currency in a debate.
But the topic of this thread is 'elevator pitch', ostensibly to a total newbie. And I believe that one of the biggest mistakes, in that regard, is to immediately overwhelm a newbie with ideology and/or technospeak.

It's like a spaceship trying to enter a planet's atmosphere, too steep and it burns up ("Ponzi! Ponzi!"), too shallow and it bounces off ("Oh, another digital utopia.").

As for me, personally, I am VERY intent on ideology. Indeed, the essential point of my website (targeted to folks who are already further along the path) is taking the Bitcoin ideology to its natural interface with personal liberation.

So, yes, as per your 'Why' posit...count me in.

[FYI...I also dug your Robert Wilson vid & posted it up.]

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: