Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:16:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin 51% attacked?  (Read 10202 times)
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 10:24:59 AM

That addressed solved 582 out of 3020 blocks. A far cry from 5 out of 10. As far as custom— it looks like the coinbaser patch from bitcoin.

If you look at their payments, they sure look like pool payouts.  Anyone mining on a pool with about 20% of the hash power care to look and confirm that your inputs came from that address and identify the pool for us?
Actually, it's most likely a pool that's using PoolserverJ's recently-added Litecoin and workmaker support. Both features have been available for about a month now and I doubt that shads would have implemented Litecoin support if he didn't expect someone to use it. It probably doesn't even require any client patch, depending on how up to date the official Litecoin client is.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:06:38 PM

The unknown part of the litecoin mining power is still at 80% . This kind of "unknown" amount mining a coin is quite unheard of. The fact some people here laugh it off like it's nothing to worry about it is quite concerning.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:28:47 PM

The unknown part of the litecoin mining power is still at 80% . This kind of "unknown" amount mining a coin is quite unheard of. The fact some people here laugh it off like it's nothing to worry about it is quite concerning.

Unheard of because it isn't feasible to solo-mine in most other chains.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 02:40:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that Solidcoin hovered around that percentage for some time after the release of 2.02, before the extra mining power disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 03:00:05 PM

Unheard of because it isn't feasible to solo-mine in most other chains.

Also pools suck. They centralize what should not be centralized, they suffer DDOS attacks, and they crash. They might be useful for BitCoin but they serve little purpose for LiteCoin at the current difficulty. I don't see why anyone would want to use a pool for LiteCoin mining unless they had very old computers and could not afford cheap cpu/mainboard/memory upgrades.

My CPU power isn't great but I solo mine. I'm not part of some evil-pool.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 04:42:42 PM

By "unheard of" you mean that SC keeps tabs on all the peasant nodes and Bitcoin uses pools because the difficulty is so high.
In Litecoin the nodes are not unknown, they are just unaffiliated. That is actually the goal by the way, to have a high percentage of hashing power not under the control of a single person.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 06:49:47 PM

If i remember correctly the "dick" had an almost equal level of dominance on SC2 until it got turned off/went away/wasnt payed any longer.

Might ask, why went it away? Didnt you need it  botnet any more to keep the price stable at the subsiedy cut? Its dissapearance was yet another nice coincidence, wasnt it? It left after SC was changed to 5CPB... all those mysteries arround that Scamcoin are also dead obvious and if true something never happened and far worse than a possible 51% attack..
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 09:40:42 PM

I don't know about litecoin, but I have mined about 10 blocks of ioc and none have shown up in my wallet.  The connections drop from 3 then rise to 8 as a fluctuation.
Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 10:02:13 PM

I don't know about litecoin, but I have mined about 10 blocks of ioc and none have shown up in my wallet.  The connections drop from 3 then rise to 8 as a fluctuation.

Umm... yes. That is LTC related. No?
localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 01:49:34 PM

By "unheard of" you mean that SC keeps tabs on all the peasant nodes and Bitcoin uses pools because the difficulty is so high.
In Litecoin the nodes are not unknown, they are just unaffiliated. That is actually the goal by the way, to have a high percentage of hashing power not under the control of a single person.
That sums it up pretty well.
On a side note, I'm doing like 2-3 transactions per day and didn't notice any issue with them yet, so doesn't look like a silent sneaky 50%+1 attack is going on, as far as I can see.

-
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 04:34:00 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2011, 12:43:22 AM by Explodicle

I'm going to replace my original offer with something even more appealing, since I find complete bullshit so intolerable.

10 BTC says no 51% attack on Litecoin by 2012-01-01, 00:00:00 UTC.

CoinHunter - if you think a longer period would be fair for 50/50 odds, or we should stick with January 1st but have a more fair ratio than 50/50, I'm all ears. You can make money off us decentralized currency suckers and exchange it right back to SC before your victory!

Edit - I have joined the main bet here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53796.msg642542#msg642542
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:02:02 PM

Blah, blah, blah, MY COIN IS SAFE AND THE BEST, blah, blah, blah...

Hey, CH and all your equally offensive trollish sock-puppets? Nobody gives a damn about your thoughts or fears or public safety announcements. Really, what you have to say, and your heartfelt concern for our best interests doesn't matter a single goddamn to anyone on this board other than those same sycophantic brown nosers who adore you in your own world. Take your concern, your horseshit, your noise and your predilection for self-aggrandizement back over to your little warped fantasy world and leave the grown-ups alone. You are an irritating little bitch who makes way too much noise.

You are as lame at FUD as you are at coding and promoting your shortbus-coin. Which is to say utterly and completely.
BigCpuMiner

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 11:39:32 PM

If you look at last week's LTC chain data, you will see that about 5 out of every 10 blocks had the same address for the generate. This means someone is running a custom miner or daemon, and controls a very large chunk of the mining power.

For your reference:
http://blockexplorer.sytes.net/address/LSQAz3zmxfKAEPZJd9693Udrg19gEidHs8

I guess it is me.
BigCpuMiner

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 11:40:52 PM

If a botnet pool has 51% of the hashing power, they can generate half of the total coins. That's 14,400 litecoins a day or 76 bitcoins a day. If they can make that much legitimately, why risk it with a double spend attack that would likely kill your source of daily income. 550 btc is not worth it from the perspective.

You right about daily income.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 11:53:34 PM

If you look at last week's LTC chain data, you will see that about 5 out of every 10 blocks had the same address for the generate. This means someone is running a custom miner or daemon, and controls a very large chunk of the mining power.

For your reference:
http://blockexplorer.sytes.net/address/LSQAz3zmxfKAEPZJd9693Udrg19gEidHs8

I guess it is me.

Do you mind telling us how much hashing power you have?

BigCpuMiner

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:01:29 AM

I don't calculate how much hashes I produce, I am just mining, sorry Smiley
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:24:21 AM

His username + his posts + the fact no one ever fibs on the internet

Seems legit.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
BigCpuMiner

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:27:00 AM

His username + his posts + the fact no one ever fibs on the internet

Seems legit.

Yes! And I have a badge "trust me"! Smiley
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 03:43:13 AM

Well, do you mind saying on average how many litecoins you make a day? We could work out the hashrate from that.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 09:03:26 PM

There was some discussion recently about Litecoin having a "dark pool" with about 55% of the network mining power. Coblee is aware of it and seems to be hiding the fact this imminent 51% threat exists to Litecoin.

It is possible this dark pool already done multiple 51% attacks as they seem to be continually stopping their mining and "doing something else for an hour or so" before resuming. Hopefully someone is monitoring the reorgs which have been occurring and determining if anyone is actually losing Bitcoins on the exchanges.

Have you ever noticed that when you speak, it seems a politician?!
That is, a card-carrying liar who speaks beautiful but, in reality, is a bastard...
CH, you have no credit.
Get out with your centralized-pseudo-cryptocurrency called shitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: