Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:53:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gitcoin  (Read 2638 times)
markm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 02:30:37 PM

I just now got to the part of my new GitHub project where I pushed a LIMITATIONS file for it when it struck me, having just basically suggested that at least some nodes of the project should run git repos not just (like most nodes) git clients, that maybe no-one had snapped up gitcoin,com, gitcoin,org and gitcoin.net yet.

Well it turns out that GoDaddy has, but no one seems to be actually using, GitCoin.com (GoDaddy is trying to sell it it looks like, before who-ever isn't using it lets it expire even maybe, and likely for more than they normally charge for a dot-com domain) but gitcoin.org and gitcoin.net seem to be available.

I haven't yet got to the part of the project in which "would you prefer to run all the alt chains' daemons yourself, or just use Open Transactions as generic gateway to coins in general and currencies in general" part of the configuration process usrs aka admins using the project will need to go through to configure what exactly their node will be up to and how it will implent getting up to it, but *coins are definitely implicated in the overall project.

Maybe if someone likes the idea of using *coins to help lubricate the operations of such a project, such as by rewarding nodes that do choose to host git repos, they might consider whether gitcoin might be a useful term for bundling all coin-based reward schemes independent of which types of coins are used / supported / preferred by which nodes into a general "this is about coins in regard to git" term.

Services such as GitHub cater to open data, and are not as p2p-ish as people running repos themselves on their own machines. They are not good for things like putting data intended for specific entities or groups, in encrypted form only the target entity or group can decode, out where who actually pulls it might not be very controlled/restricted.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the name out here in case it interests anyone. Maybe even enough to think about starting yet another blockchain to mint actual Gitcoins, who knows? Smiley

-MarkM- ( My new GitHub project? GitHub-only portion of Galactic Milieu project )

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 02:40:33 PM

can you explain in few words what you're trying to do here ? 10 minutes reading on all git text and your post left me with no clue...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 02:44:43 PM

can you explain in few words what you're trying to do here ? 10 minutes reading on all git text and your post left me with no clue...

Hmm how about lines 38 through 46 of https://github.com/knotwork/galacticmilieu/blob/master/PURPOSE ...

Surely is it obvious at a glance that the purpose is to
take control of your computer, or at least one user on your
computer. Wink Cheesy

It is all part of Tux and Tuxette's implementation of
their part in carrying out the Grand Plan of Linus (GPL):
taking over the world.

The rest is mere implementation details. Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
o

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 03:31:09 PM

I would be happy if my codes on the git are spendable as coin Wink
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 03:53:51 PM

I have to agree with the cat snuggling tit's guy. His icon always distracts me. Better yet, I'll tell you what I thought and hoped this thread would be about:

How cool would it be if the bitcoin blockchain were a git repository? Each commit is a block. Both systems already SHA-hash the entire tree. Both systems are already decentralized, distributed. Both systems assume branching and trusted sources. You could just clone/pull from anywhere, easily verify the latest commits/blocks from peers, and rollback (reorg) from any point in the chain/tree.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 05:37:14 PM

I have to agree with the cat snuggling tit's guy. His icon always distracts me. Better yet, I'll tell you what I thought and hoped this thread would be about:

How cool would it be if the gitcoin blockchain were a git repository? Each commit is a block. Both systems already SHA-hash the entire tree. Both systems are already decentralized, distributed. Both systems assume branching and trusted sources. You could just clone/pull from anywhere, easily verify the latest commits/blocks from peers, and rollback (reorg) from any point in the chain/tree.

Fixed typo for you.

Would it be cool enough to be worth picking up the domains I mentioned for use in such a project?

I somehow failed to notice what the avatar was showing, instead mention of Egyptian deities caught my eye.

Upon investigating I thought hmm, that peek inside thing is nice, and i2p is already p2p, why use a gitr repo to distribute data to nodes?

Well of course just because people use git doesn't mean the also use p2p, so maybe knowing they have git one could use git to deliver p2p, not everyone need be coming from p2p out into the universe where git seems mostly to live, maybe some people might be persuaded to let git get them tooled up to do i2p and who knows, maybe they too will encounter egyptian deities osmewhere on one side or the other of the veil behind which what goes on speculation may run rampant but maybe only such deities know for sure...

(If even they do, heh heh.)

-MarkM- (So, wanna actually do it, then?)

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 05:58:57 PM

Are you telling me that the original seven paragraphs with randomly placed commas and some diatribe about domain names was in fact related to my two line summary?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 12:15:01 PM

ditto, still kinda confused, but almost there.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: