Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:53:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new website project (non-BTC related) about TV series need input  (Read 55 times)
mocacinno (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2021, 09:06:51 AM

I know, I know,... There are better forums for this discussion... But i'm a crypto fan, and i'm only active on this one... So i might aswell ask some input from you lot  Grin

I was fed up watching yet another netflix show that got cancelled on a mayor cliffhanger, so i decided to start looking on the internet for a database of TV shows that got cancelled without any proper ending. I'm not talking about those shows that have an intentional open ending, i'm talking about the ones that leave half a story arc wide open so they can continue next season, but netflix (or hulu, or HBO, or...) just pulls the plug, leaving all fans hanging...

To my dismay, i did not find any *real* database that was sufficient... Sure, there are sites that list all cancelled shows (but they fail to mention wether they stop on a cliffhanger or not), you have blogs that cherrypick single cancelled shows and completely dissect them, you have incomplete lists and incomplete databases,... but nothing that could serve as a reference for the community.

So, i created https://www.showstopped.com

On my current to-do list are:
  • Add captcha to signup form
  • Fix the point counter: it seems like only one thumbs up (or down) gets counter per voter => votee combo
  • Pre-color thumbs up/down on already voted
  • admin-script for nuking users (with option to remove all shows/remarks/votes)
  • a contact me-form instead of pushing people to e-mail me manually
  • show toplist, add badges
  • https://www.google.com/webmasters/markup-helper/u/0/?hl=nl uitbreiden
  • when adding a pre-existing show, give a proper warning message instead of a white grim page
  • make login/logout/... redirect to the last page you were visiting instead of the main page

There's a flimsy bitcoin link, since i accept bitcoin donations, and if this ever becomes popular, i'll accept btc for adds Wink

My main reason for posting: my current test audience is me, my wife and my daughter (and maybe the cat)... If you could spare 10 minutes out of your day, i'd be gratefull if you'd visit the page and give some feedback (preferably things i'm currently missing, and blatant bugs).

Oh, yeah, before i forget: if you also have a hobby site somewhere out there and you're interested in a link exchange, that can also be set up Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
October 15, 2021, 09:58:59 AM

Interesting.
Trying to see how popular your site will be (assuming it's well promoted by you and others), one of the main thing I was looking for that could satisfy visitors alot is the rest of the series that continued the cancel shows from the cliffhanger parts. I think you could attract lots of curious visitors if you could get them to watch the remaining part. But i guess not all the shows will have the remaining parts especially if they are still in productions.
By the way, I wonder what problem you are trying to solve with this. Do you want to create a space to attract the series fans to discuss and predict what next the remaining show will be, or just discuss anything of interest that relates to the show and also add their own series?

I don't watch much. If I watched, that would probably put me in a better position to advise on how the site should be like and what it should and should not have.
mocacinno (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2021, 10:09:40 AM

@Ucy: thanks for the input Smiley
As an answer to your question: the main idear would be to warn people that a show was cancelled and the final episode ended on a cliffhanger...
Netflix is a prime example: they keep pumping out new TV shows, the makers of the show end their season on a cliffhanger (because they think that would decrease their odds of getting cancelled), yet netflix still cancels them... The end result is: all fans of the show are left hanging... They saw the final episode (ever) ending on a huge cliffhanger which never gets resolved.

For me, this behavior is a dealbreaker: i refuse to watch an older show if i know it doesn't have a proper ending (an open ending can also be a "proper" ending, i'm basically talking about the shows that end on a cliffhanger, but it was obvious the show wasn't meant to stop at that point)... Offcourse, shows that are still running are always a gamble.

I'm trying to make a public database people that love TV shows could visit before they start watching an older show... That way they can look up wether or not the show they are interested in has a proper ending before investing a lot of time into watching a show that abruptly stops and leaves them hanging high and dry.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 15, 2021, 12:50:54 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2021, 01:18:04 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Emerald City that NBC ran for just 1 season is one of those. A terrific series with great promise, had a strong following, great season closer leading into What's Next and - bam - it never returned.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mocacinno (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2021, 12:55:48 PM

Emerald City that NBC ran for just 1 season is one of those. A terrific series with great promise, had a strong following, great season closer leading into What's Next and - bam - it never returned.

I didn't hear from this one (yet), but i added it straight away Smiley
Thanks!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
October 15, 2021, 04:32:03 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2021, 04:49:24 PM by Ucy

@Ucy: thanks for the input Smiley
As an answer to your question: the main idear would be to warn people that a show was cancelled and the final episode ended on a cliffhanger...
Netflix is a prime example: they keep pumping out new TV shows, the makers of the show end their season on a cliffhanger (because they think that would decrease their odds of getting cancelled), yet netflix still cancels them... The end result is: all fans of the show are left hanging... They saw the final episode (ever) ending on a huge cliffhanger which never gets resolved.

For me, this behavior is a dealbreaker: i refuse to watch an older show if i know it doesn't have a proper ending (an open ending can also be a "proper" ending, i'm basically talking about the shows that end on a cliffhanger, but it was obvious the show wasn't meant to stop at that point)... Offcourse, shows that are still running are always a gamble.

I'm trying to make a public database people that love TV shows could visit before they start watching an older show... That way they can look up wether or not the show they are interested in has a proper ending before investing a lot of time into watching a show that abruptly stops and leaves them hanging high and dry.

Really useful solution to the problem... but I wonder how many people will be interested in knowing whether TV Shows they are interested in have proper ending. Ofcourse, I know what it feels like to leave people hanging with cliffhanger after investing lots of time (plus the emotional attachments) on shows they find really interesting. I'm not sure how many people will be interested in avioding such shows if they are hard to resist.

Anyway I guess there will quite a number of people who will be very much interested in this kind of service/detail. Maybe you could get people to be interested if there are not alot out there.
By the way, I noticed you are doing this because no one has been able to do it like you want. In the end you may end up attracting people who want or would want thesame service
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: