Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:56:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: thermal pads for gddr6x and a bit of patience  (Read 317 times)
arielbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
October 14, 2021, 07:08:02 AM
Merited by philipma1957 (1), flip4flop (1)

I just changed the thermal pads of my msi 3080ti suprim x. (applicable to any cards specially the ones with gddr6x)

here is something people should do before panicking, disassembling and reassembling their cards again.

after you install the high quality thermal pads, there can be a little bit of size difference (thickness) of the newly installed and the previous one. (of course you should use the right thickness but still there can be a little bit of difference.)

the problem is if the new thermal pads are a bit thicker the gpu core might not have good contact to heat sink. if temps does not go directly to 100c, more like around 80C, just let it mine for a day, the thermal pads just needs a bit more time to squish to the right size and then the next day the core is now at around 65-78c.

vram was around 90-104c, now it is 68-78c.

items used.

-kryonaut extreme 2g
-Thermalright Extreme Odyssey Thermal Pads
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
October 14, 2021, 09:41:16 AM

Exactly, you deserve merit OP, I learnt this the hard way and here is my own story, I changed my Vega 56 thermal pads and the temp went way up as if I don't change it at all and after making sure the old thermal is same size with the new that's when I gave up and start using the GPU with fans cranked up a bit more but after 24hours I noticed the temp kept slowing down and after two days it's back to normal

thermal pads don't work in an instant sometimes depending on the GPU model, you gotta give it time

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 14, 2021, 09:43:49 AM

I've seen a video on youtube of somebody using copper pads, i wonder how good that is x what you have done, your memory temperatures has had an incredible upgrade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/q5z6xh/thermal_pad_mod_for_rtx_3080_rtx_3090_thermal/

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
deedeeranged

Activity: 325
Merit: 42

View Profile
October 14, 2021, 08:56:57 PM

Igor'sLab has done some youtube video's abt. thermal pads. The video's are in german but he has a website in english
 https://www.igorslab.de/en/thermal-pad-tests-on-the-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-four-reference-pads-and-brachial-temperature-rise-of-the-hot-gddr6x-to-50/
arielbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2021, 02:25:11 AM

I've seen a video on youtube of somebody using copper pads, i wonder how good that is x what you have done, your memory temperatures has had an incredible upgrade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/q5z6xh/thermal_pad_mod_for_rtx_3080_rtx_3090_thermal/

it was the massive suprim x cooler/heat sink, the thermal pads job is to simply pass the heat to the heat sink.

i used copper shim in a laptop a long time ago, i think the only major advantage of copper, like what happened in my laptop is that it functions as a heatsink too not just a heat transfer (to heatsink) material.

aside from conductivity copper needs to be used with pads because minor dents and its hard nature can do damage if not in a perfect fit example: if 3mm is required, use 2mm copper and 0.5mm on both sides.  

Igor'sLab has done some youtube video's abt. thermal pads. The video's are in german but he has a website in english
 https://www.igorslab.de/en/thermal-pad-tests-on-the-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-four-reference-pads-and-brachial-temperature-rise-of-the-hot-gddr6x-to-50/

around 11 W/(m*K) is the sweet spot for gddr6x specially if you are a miner, if you are on gddr6 then 7 W/(m*K).
CryptoATM

Activity: 368
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 15, 2021, 08:45:06 AM

I remember creating a topic about this gold thermal pads but the comments I got are discouraging, many said it won't work and some said I don't know what I'm saying cos there is nothing called gold thermal pads, anyways I'm glad there is proof
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 18, 2021, 07:32:23 AM

around 11 W/(m*K) is the sweet spot for gddr6x specially if you are a miner, if you are on gddr6 then 7 W/(m*K).

I have changed the thermal pads today, I dont mine with my 2 x evga 3080, so I never bothered about changing it, since my deep learning software dont use memory aggressive like eth, these gpus i bought back in february for $900 each, so evga was still using bad thermal pads, many people who bought old cards need to change if they want to use aggressive memory overclocks.

EVGA 3080 ftw3 needs both 1mm and 1.5mm, combine them into a 2.5mm and use it on the memory, vrm and mosfests can be used the same ones that came with the gpu as there is no need to cool them down more than it was already done by evga pads, so no need to spend money on that and buy a 15kw for it, if somebody wants a little better memory temps 3mm for the back is also good too if you place a fan on the backplate of the gpu. I used gelid 15wk, https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-GP-Ultimate-90x50x0-5mm-TP-GP04/dp/B0824ZMJLY?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

This https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-85x45x2-5mm-Conductive-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B094Z9TLJ7 is a better alternative and it has at 2.5mm however it is at 12.5kw, little less effective than the gelid 15kw however its price cant be beaten and as gelid has no 2.5mm, so this product is a lot better in value.

End result mining eth
before padding,  memory 106 - 110c,
after padding, memory 74c - 80c

Yeah, you need a bit of patience. I spent 4 hours on both gpus. Anyway now if I want I can mine memory intensive algos, will keep them on imaging and deep learning for now, actually changing thermal pads was fun.

arielbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2021, 08:57:39 PM

I have changed the thermal pads today, I dont mine with my 2 x evga 3080, so I never bothered about changing it, since my deep learning software dont use memory aggressive like eth, these gpus i bought back in february for $900 each, so evga was still using bad thermal pads, many people who bought old cards need to change if they want to use aggressive memory overclocks.

EVGA 3080 ftw3 needs both 1mm and 1.5mm, combine them into a 2.5mm and use it on the memory, vrm and mosfests can be used the same ones that came with the gpu as there is no need to cool them down more than it was already done by evga pads, so no need to spend money on that and buy a 15kw for it, if somebody wants a little better memory temps 3mm for the back is also good too if you place a fan on the backplate of the gpu. I used gelid 15wk, https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-GP-Ultimate-90x50x0-5mm-TP-GP04/dp/B0824ZMJLY?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

This https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-85x45x2-5mm-Conductive-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B094Z9TLJ7 is a better alternative and it has at 2.5mm however it is at 12.5kw, little less effective than the gelid 15kw however its price cant be beaten and as gelid has no 2.5mm, so this product is a lot better in value.

End result mining eth
before padding,  memory 106 - 110c,
after padding, memory 74c - 80c

Yeah, you need a bit of patience. I spent 4 hours on both gpus. Anyway now if I want I can mine memory intensive algos, will keep them on imaging and deep learning for now, actually changing thermal pads was fun.

Thermalpad longevity is another thing to consider, let's see if they will still perform after summer.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 01:13:22 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2021, 03:25:46 AM by Metroid

Thermalpad longevity is another thing to consider, let's see if they will still perform after summer.

I'm curious about that, I'm monitoring how the temperature will change over time.

I forgot to say that, while mining eth my 3080 was 110c and at 100% fan hehe, now is at 85% fan and at 78c. That is a huge step up, ambient room temperature with ac is around 28c.

XUR_TIP

Activity: 227
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 06:06:20 AM

I have 3070ti and I haven't changed its thermal pad since I bought the GPU, it's a gigabyte version with gddr6x on board and when mining the memory temp is always around 80°C to 86°C, my point is some cards has good thermal pad in stock than others and they don't need any changing

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 07:24:48 AM

I have 3070ti and I haven't changed its thermal pad since I bought the GPU, it's a gigabyte version with gddr6x on board and when mining the memory temp is always around 80°C to 86°C, my point is some cards has good thermal pad in stock than others and they don't need any changing

Manufactures changed thermal pads on new batches after many users started to complain about it, before that change, manufactures used to place bad thermal pads. So consider yourself lucky eheh, I think manufactures started placing good thermal pads in May 2021 on gddr6x gpus.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 27, 2021, 03:42:58 PM

This video would be great if any of you decide to choose thermal pads

"Thermal Pad Showdown! What you should (and Shouldn't) Buy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIIA57treo

flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
December 27, 2021, 05:38:03 PM

I 100% agree on needing to change thermal pads on 3080s and 3090s. My founders editions run so hot out of the box I could not even get the max hashrate without crashing the cards. Once I changed the thermal pads once (first time was nerve-racking) I felt much better about it and the cards run so much cooler. There are quite a few good guides out there to help you along the way as well as some have posted.  I used the one below to change the pads on my 3080s.

https://willmnorris.medium.com/guide-to-nvidia-3080-fe-thermal-pad-mod-cf378339f7ac
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 03:05:36 AM

Yes I had this issue also. Bought some custom kit from some seller on eBay which claimed they would work on my GPU. However they were a different material, more thicker and didn’t squeeze as easily as the factory ones which were more like gum.

As soon as the GPU entered windows, it instantly overheated. Temperatures spiked up. At first I assumed I damaged something but then I took a look and could see the huge gap.

Basically managed to put on the old pads and things were fine ever since.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
legcramp

Activity: 49
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 04:17:17 PM

I just buy a huge jar of thermal putty and never have to worry about this again.

https://www.tglobaltechnology.com/product/tg-pp-10-silicone-thermal-putty/
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 04:34:30 PM

I just buy a huge jar of thermal putty and never have to worry about this again.

https://www.tglobaltechnology.com/product/tg-pp-10-silicone-thermal-putty/

yeah but that thermal putty is good for anything other than the memory itself. They say is a 10w but in reality must be a little less than that but yeah that thermal putty i think is the best in the market right now concerning cost benefit. I bought one just in case I need to use in the future.

"Can be used to fill gaps from 0.25 – 8mm", perfect solution for anything other than the memory. The gelid ultimate 15w thermal pad is clearly the best in the market right now on cost benefit too, the only issue it doesn't have 2.5mm and gpus like evga nvidia series like 3080 and 3090 need 2.5mm. So in this case the thermalright 12w is the best cost benefit.

patrik1313

Activity: 14
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2022, 04:43:10 PM

I changed. Using gelid 12w.
https://youtu.be/3CoNtVSZ_t8
Refrumatrix

Activity: 301
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:24:15 AM

You can't change thermal paste and expect instant correlation, you have to give it time, in the past days of 660ti Nvidia we change thermal paste and leave the card for 24hrs before using it again for gaming I guess that's old skool now

P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:47:09 AM

Exactly, you deserve merit OP, I learnt this the hard way and here is my own story, I changed my Vega 56 thermal pads and the temp went way up as if I don't change it at all and after making sure the old thermal is same size with the new that's when I gave up and start using the GPU with fans cranked up a bit more but after 24hours I noticed the temp kept slowing down and after two days it's back to normal

thermal pads don't work in an instant sometimes depending on the GPU model, you gotta give it time

Uhhh Vega's use HBM2 memory which is on the core die.... Changing thermal pads isn't going to do much there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: