Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:03:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Mobo with extra slots isn't a waste of money  (Read 87 times)
MidNite36 (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 08:51:55 AM
Merited by XUR_TIP (1)

Buying 6x pcie slots mobo is like a waste of money to me, I thought I would stop upgrading my rig when I have 6 graphic cards running but now I have enough money to add more cards, what comes to my mind is

1. What have I done? Why buy mobo with 6pcie slots when I can afford 12x pcie slot mobo in the first place?

2. Why buy 750watt power supply when I can afford 1200+ power supply?

Now I have to buy another MOBO which will result in more money and more electricity consumption too, if you are new to mining always go for the best components just in case, there is a chance of upgrading in future

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MCcryptonia

Activity: 155
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 09:23:46 AM
Merited by XUR_TIP (1)

Hmm makes sense, I had to sell few mobo with 5 and 6pcies slots for a single motherboards with 12 and more slots and this gives me more rooms and also less power consumption too, roughly 150 to 200watts are been saved

CryptoATM

Activity: 368
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 09:33:38 AM
Merited by vapourminer (2), XUR_TIP (2)

It depends, some miners don't care about extra space and power draws, those mobo with six pcie slots still works for many, if you are the type that cares about power draw and slots then

1. Buy motherboards with many pcie slots, I've seen some with more than 12 spaces for graphic cards

2. Buy high end GPUs only, this will give more space and less slots to use very handy is you are keeping your miners in your living room e.g 5 rtx3090 will give you 600MH, you just need a single MOBO with 6 pcie slots while lesser GPUs will take more slots and space combine
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 06:17:48 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

Buying 6x pcie slots mobo is like a waste of money to me, I thought I would stop upgrading my rig when I have 6 graphic cards running but now I have enough money to add more cards, what comes to my mind is

1. What have I done? Why buy mobo with 6pcie slots when I can afford 12x pcie slot mobo in the first place?

Now I have to buy another MOBO which will result in more money and more electricity consumption too, if you are new to mining always go for the best components just in case, there is a chance of upgrading in future
A modern motherboard with a processor consumes 40-60 watts, and you will not save much money if you buy 1 motherboard for 12 video cards instead of 2 motherboards for 6 video cards.
Further, there are many nuances about power supplies. Even on an ATX 1200 watt power supply unit, there may not be enough key connectors to connect 6 powerful video cards, so you have to use 2 850 watt power supplies or a server power supply unit.
It's harder to find a buggy graphics card on a farm of 12 graphics cards instead of 6.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Looper_U

Activity: 369
Merit: 16

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 09:13:31 PM

A modern motherboard with a processor consumes 40-60 watts, and you will not save much money if you buy 1 motherboard for 12 video cards instead of 2 motherboards for 6 video cards.
Further, there are many nuances about power supplies. Even on an ATX 1200 watt power supply unit, there may not be enough key connectors to connect 6 powerful video cards, so you have to use 2 850 watt power supplies or a server power supply unit.
It's harder to find a buggy graphics card on a farm of 12 graphics cards instead of 6.
Easy, your power supply doesn't have to get all the pcie 8pin and 6pin out of the box, OP will need to get 6pin to 2x 8pin extension cable on Amazon or other stores for cheap price, this will turn a single 6pin power connector to 2x 8pin power connector and it works well

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: