Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:02:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What 9GPU+ Gaming Motherboards are you guys using?  (Read 224 times)
deadsix (OP)

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 08:46:38 PM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

The last I got running with 9 GPU's were the Asus Z270f boards, with 2x M.2 to Pcie adapters.

But since then I have found almost no newer board that can run 9 GPUs without splitters, none of them have 7 pcie slots anymore.

So want to know about your experiences - what Regular Gaming boards have you gotten to run with 9+ GPUs?

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
BitKongy

Activity: 405
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 09:02:07 PM

Forget gaming motherboards and go for motherboards designed for mining crypto only, they have more than 10 pcie slots for GPU like these two motherboards

1. https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=1600323725134&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D1600323725134%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

2. https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=1600225240009&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D1600225240009%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer
deadsix (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2021, 09:26:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but im looking at gaming motherboards only.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Synerggy

Activity: 248
Merit: 13

Futiracoin.com

View Profile
October 18, 2021, 04:33:06 PM

No gaming motherboards comes with many pcie slots since they aren't build for mining but for gaming only, the highest you will find on gaming motherboards are 4-5pcie slots, few has two pcie x16 slots for crossfire and some don't

●          ◯        Futira Coin        ◯          ●
████ ███ ██ █        First Crypto-Enabled Telecommunication Network       █ ██ ███ ████
Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     LinkedIn     |     Github     |     Discord
FomoMiner

Activity: 26
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 19, 2021, 12:21:45 PM

if you find one MB with 6 pcie + 1 or 2 m2 nvme slots + the use of pcie extender (1 to x4 pcie), depending on the config (motherboard+cpu= numbers of lanes) then you can achieve more than 6gpus, at least 7, 8 or even 9 or more who knows.
you will have to use m2 adapter to pcie and the pcie extender x1pcie to x4pcie
so in this scenario your goal is to find gaming mb which has the more pcie available and m2 slots, like for instance this one:

- Asrock B450 Steel Legend AMD  : x6pcie (2x16slot + 4 x1slots) + 2m2 nvme slots
- MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max : x6pcie (2 x16slot & 4 x1) + 1 m2 nvme slot
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
October 19, 2021, 04:37:15 PM

if you find one MB with 6 pcie + 1 or 2 m2 nvme slots + the use of pcie extender (1 to x4 pcie), depending on the config (motherboard+cpu= numbers of lanes) then you can achieve more than 6gpus, at least 7, 8 or even 9 or more who knows.
you will have to use m2 adapter to pcie and the pcie extender x1pcie to x4pcie
so in this scenario your goal is to find gaming mb which has the more pcie available and m2 slots, like for instance this one:

- Asrock B450 Steel Legend AMD  : x6pcie (2x16slot + 4 x1slots) + 2m2 nvme slots

True, is really important the CPU lanes, right now you can get a Atlhon 3000g but only have 6 lanes, you can use it only with 6 gpu with the 4g decode option, the only way to max it is using a pcie extender x1pcie to x4pcie for a total of 9 gpu. (some ppl say that found a way to use 2 extenders on 1 motherboard, not sure about that, i need 2 adapters to test that). Remember 1 to 4 pcie adapters are pci splitter, they dont add more lanes... in other words it divide the bandwidth of 1 lane to 4.
deadsix (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2021, 06:49:10 PM

No gaming motherboards comes with many pcie slots since they aren't build for mining but for gaming only, the highest you will find on gaming motherboards are 4-5pcie slots, few has two pcie x16 slots for crossfire and some don't

As mentioned in the original post, Z270f's (and several other Z170, Z97 etc before them) GAMING motherboards, that I was using come with 7 PCIe slots, and 2 m.2 slots that with adapters allowed use of 9 GPUs. I however was looking for more recent alternatives, since these are hard to find now. No point in typing out a response when you dont know the answer, is there?

True, is really important the CPU lanes, right now you can get a Atlhon 3000g but only have 6 lanes, you can use it only with 6 gpu with the 4g decode option, the only way to max it is using a pcie extender x1pcie to x4pcie for a total of 9 gpu. (some ppl say that found a way to use 2 extenders on 1 motherboard, not sure about that, i need 2 adapters to test that). Remember 1 to 4 pcie adapters are pci splitter, they dont add more lanes... in other words it divide the bandwidth of 1 lane to 4.

Umm the 3000G has 20 PCIe lanes, but 8 are reserved for the chipset (x450/470), 8 for the x16 slot and 4 for the m.2 slot. Technically you should be able to use 12 GPUs with the 3000G if you disable integrated graphics, but I'm yet to find an X470 motherboard that will work with a 1x4 splitter and go beyond 8 GPUs.

Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for. We can add the Asus B450-F Gaming to the above list as well, since that too has 6 PCIe slots.
B450 chips however will only let you use one of the two m.2 slots while the 6 PCIe slots are populated, so that brings us to a total of 7 on these boards.

That appears to be the limit for now - 7 GPUs. Untill we switch to Intel and factor in 1x4 PCIe splitters.

fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2021, 05:39:26 AM

The last I got running with 9 GPU's were the Asus Z270f boards, with 2x M.2 to Pcie adapters.

But since then I have found almost no newer board that can run 9 GPUs without splitters, none of them have 7 pcie slots anymore.

So want to know about your experiences - what Regular Gaming boards have you gotten to run with 9+ GPUs?

i'm using gigabyte b250 fintech with 12 pcie lines, is pretty damn stable without any issue installing those gpus,

i wont using gaming motherboard for mining, there is strange issue happen sometimes, better to buy dedicated mining board

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 11:49:45 PM

As mentioned in the original post, Z270f's (and several other Z170, Z97 etc before them) GAMING motherboards, that I was using come with 7 PCIe slots, and 2 m.2 slots that with adapters allowed use of 9 GPUs. I however was looking for more recent alternatives, since these are hard to find now. No point in typing out a response when you dont know the answer, is there?

Umm the 3000G has 20 PCIe lanes, but 8 are reserved for the chipset (x450/470), 8 for the x16 slot and 4 for the m.2 slot. Technically you should be able to use 12 GPUs with the 3000G if you disable integrated graphics, but I'm yet to find an X470 motherboard that will work with a 1x4 splitter and go beyond 8 GPUs.

Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for. We can add the Asus B450-F Gaming to the above list as well, since that too has 6 PCIe slots.
B450 chips however will only let you use one of the two m.2 slots while the 6 PCIe slots are populated, so that brings us to a total of 7 on these boards.

That appears to be the limit for now - 7 GPUs. Untill we switch to Intel and factor in 1x4 PCIe splitters.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/athlon/3000g

"The 3000G includes 6 PCIe lanes - 4 for a discrete graphics processor and 2 for chipset."

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/kyj1zx/pcie_lanes_on_b450_motherboard_confusion/
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
November 14, 2021, 05:29:50 AM

What "gaming" mobo needs that many? Seriously you won't get any more because that's all that will fit the
form factor, not require risers, and provide rear panel access for monitors. Whichever way you go make sure
you get a real Ryzen that doesn't reduce the available PCIe lanes.

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 14, 2021, 12:48:07 PM

ASROCK B450 STEEL LEGEND overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLEYcvhD4hw
I read reviews about this motherboard,
maximum 7 video cards and a lot of problems.
Let gamers buy these motherboards Smiley
But if you enjoy solving problems, be sure to check the list of supported processors before buying.
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 22, 2021, 10:53:43 AM

never seen before if gaming mobo has 9 pcie  Grin, 8 with m.2 converter, and nowdays getting less pcies

manufacture focused on m.2 slot rather than pcie, sli & crossfire getting less atention from gamer & developer they run poorly on gaming performance

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀