Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:15:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Usb sticks don't last long for mining?  (Read 254 times)
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 21, 2021, 01:00:31 PM

yes guys i would recomend using ssd rather than usb stick, and ssd getting cheaper anyway after m2 nvme taking the place buy 120/128 gb ssd is good rather installing on usb stick
ssd disk increases the boot speed of windows. For Linux systems, the boot time of the operating system with ssd and hdd is the same, or the difference is very small.
Why overpay for something that you can buy very cheap.
Used hard drives can be bought in bulk at very competitive prices.

I just ordered 10 120gb ssds for 219 usd. I had a few coupons so they cost me 160 at 16 a drive they are worth it.
I bought 80 GB sata HDD for $ 2 and this HDD have a perfect SMART  Smiley
If there is an opportunity to save money, then I will use it.
For 5 years, not one of their hard drives has broken.
And now a lot of HDDs are sold due to the purchase of ssds.
You can buy hard drives with large gigabytes of cheap.
0verseer

Activity: 480
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 21, 2021, 03:09:55 PM

yes guys i would recomend using ssd rather than usb stick, and ssd getting cheaper anyway after m2 nvme taking the place buy 120/128 gb ssd is good rather installing on usb stick
ssd disk increases the boot speed of windows. For Linux systems, the boot time of the operating system with ssd and hdd is the same, or the difference is very small.

I just ordered 10 120gb ssds for 219 usd. I had a few coupons so they cost me 160 at 16 a drive they are worth it.

You've got a very good deal, most low GB HDD storage I saw today has been used for a very long time and does not have a perfect SMART. If they have that, definitely a better choice compares to running OS on USB sticks. Also for HDD, if you can't find a one with a perfect SMART and have to go for a lower, at least make sure there are no bad sectors in it. SSD is quite expensive nowadays. Used SSDs are quite cheap but the TBW from most of them are horrible.
devil2man

Activity: 759
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 21, 2021, 07:30:02 PM

usb sticks do not usually last so long for this type of activity, you can always buy branded ones to lengthen their life cycle a little but perhaps it is better to really look for something else like a cheap hd with a few gb or a very expensive ssd nvme
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 22, 2021, 12:59:56 PM

You've got a very good deal, most low GB HDD storage I saw today has been used for a very long time and does not have a perfect SMART. If they have that, definitely a better choice compares to running OS on USB sticks. Also for HDD, if you can't find a one with a perfect SMART and have to go for a lower, at least make sure there are no bad sectors in it. SSD is quite expensive nowadays. Used SSDs are quite cheap but the TBW from most of them are horrible.
Older hard drives were of better quality. Bad sectors are absolutely not dangerous if there are several of them and they are not in the first 8 gigabytes. You can even lock the beginning of the hard drive for recording, but this takes more time.
In my country, a used 500GB hard drive can be bought for $ 10, and 80-160GB hard drives are hard to sell, so they are very cheap.
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
October 23, 2021, 05:31:05 AM

In my country you can get a HDD for as low as 10$ meaning they are more reliable and cheap at the same time than using usb sticks but it's been proven that logs are the real enemy of a usb stick

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: