Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:40:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Mining Necessary?  (Read 67 times)
AceKnight (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

Web Designer/Developer here!

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2021, 06:26:50 AM

I've started learning Blockchain Development and something I don't understand is that why is Mining Necessary? Why do we have to find.. for example "0000xxxxx" the 4 zeros in a hash for it to be added to the blockchain?

tromp
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1088

View Profile
October 23, 2021, 06:42:05 AM

Mining serves two purposes:

1) reaching consensus on successive blocks of transactions

2) new coin distribution

To make these happen at some desired pace, the difficulty of the mining puzzle is regularly adjusted.

Proof-of-stake can only serve the first purpose, which is why pure PoS coins are 100% premined by the coin creators.
AceKnight (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

Web Designer/Developer here!

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2021, 06:49:29 AM

Mining serves two purposes:

1) reaching consensus on successive blocks of transactions

2) new coin distribution

Proof-of-stake can only serve the first purpose, which is why pure PoS coins are 100% premined by the coin creators.

Oh okay, So it can be done in other ways too? Like if wanted the miners to help in rendering a 3D model or Scene just like how renderpools work. Would that be an acceptable way as well?

Not in bitcoin ofcourse, but lets say my own blockchain

aliashraf
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174

Always remember the cause!

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2021, 09:03:31 AM

Oh okay, So it can be done in other ways too? Like if wanted the miners to help in rendering a 3D model or Scene just like how renderpools work. Would that be an acceptable way as well?

Not in bitcoin ofcourse, but lets say my own blockchain
Nope. It'd be both impractical and pointless having miners to solve a meaningful/usable math problem whatsoever.

First and foremost the whole point of mining is to offer computational power and energy as a sacrifice in the worship of the consensus goddess. It'd be considered pretty much idolatry to find a "customer" for what you are sacrificing.

And it is very hard, and may be provably impossible, to find an algorithm for such "rendering miners" to distribute rewards proportional to their commitments because the strongest one always solves the rendering problem faster, taking the whole cake. A sophisticated job scheduling scheme would be needed also with inclusion of a complementary auditing and accounting process, no decentralized model has been ever proposed for this while I suppose it is not very hard to establish a mathematical proof for infeasibility of such a model to exist ever.

It is also important to note that any hybrid model fails to help with the paradox as far as it is polluted with rendering stuff, a say 90% rendering 10% mining model is just equal to use 10% of one's capacity for mining purposes and the rest for rendering, no added value of any amount or type is yielded, zero, so it'd be much wiser to stick with simple resource allocation policies instead of a new model.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: