Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:36:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electricity costs mining at home (Austin TX) S19j PRO???  (Read 204 times)
satseed (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2021, 03:00:12 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2021, 06:20:24 PM by satseed

This question is specifically to get insight into how much it costs to run 1 ASIC S19 Pro from home 24/7 in Austin TX.

I'm trying to figure out a couple things:

• If the S19 uses 3250 W / h, I estimate that the miner will use approximately 2340 kWh per month. Any s19 pro users out there who can verify if this is correct in the real world?
  • How much is the actual Austin Energy bill for running an s19 pro at home? It would be great to hear from someone who's paying the bills. Based on my calculations, it's going to cost me about 15¢ per kWH in the summer, and a little less in the winter due to less time in the higher tier (> 2500 kWh)
  • Profitability calculators look pretty good with 15¢ per kWH. Are there other significant energy related costs to running this miner that I may be missing?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2021, 05:04:17 PM

Your calculation is right if the miner is 3250w and running stable you can get 2340kWh every month.
There are no energy-related costs unless if you need an AC to keep your miner cool down. So your total cost every month with 15¢ would be $351 and the rest is your profit.

Why not use a tool instead to calculate your electricity cost and profit? There are many tools check this one https://www.mycryptobuddy.com/BitcoinMiningCalculator

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
satseed (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2021, 05:10:49 PM

Thanks for the response

I have checked out many profit calculators and they look great - just checking with real world home miners to verify

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6269

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2021, 08:56:44 PM
Last edit: October 27, 2021, 10:06:57 PM by DaveF
Merited by mikeywith (4)

BitMaxz is correct, but, since you are a new user just the standard warnings.

1) Difficulty will change along with BTC price so the numbers you see today on the tools will not be the same tomorrow.

2) Don't look at it as a 3250w miner look at it as a 3250w space heater depending on where it is you do have to dissipate that.

3) Thay generates a LOT of noise. Like ear hurting 81 dB noise. You can't run it in an office or your bedroom.

If you are not sure about something ask, most of us are friendly :-)

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
satseed (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2021, 03:05:25 AM

Hey Dave - thanks for the response.

I'm planning to put it in my garage / office. I know the noise is going to be something terrible, so I'm planning to build an sound proof box and cutting some holes in the wall for airflow. I do have a couple more questions:

- Do you think the noise from 1 S19j Pro is going to be a problem for neighbors? Even if it's insulated, my concern is the noise coming from the air flow holes on the side of the house about 15 feed from the neighbors home. I am also slightly concerned that the noise may bother my wife. My garage is about 30-40 feet from my bed...

- Doing a lot of research online and it looks like I need to have a 20a double pole breaker installed. Is that enough to run one S19pro? I'm having my electrician come out next week to see about installing a new breaker and running a cable to my garage. Is there anything specific I should let him know other than the power I'm going to be drawing?

- It looks like I need I need C13 x NEMA 6-20P cables and a NEMA 6-20R receptacle. I'm also looking at getting a PDU Power Strip. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks for your help!
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6269

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2021, 01:29:23 PM

Hey Dave - thanks for the response.

I'm planning to put it in my garage / office. I know the noise is going to be something terrible, so I'm planning to build an sound proof box and cutting some holes in the wall for airflow. I do have a couple more questions:

- Do you think the noise from 1 S19j Pro is going to be a problem for neighbors? Even if it's insulated, my concern is the noise coming from the air flow holes on the side of the house about 15 feed from the neighbors home. I am also slightly concerned that the noise may bother my wife. My garage is about 30-40 feet from my bed...

- Doing a lot of research online and it looks like I need to have a 20a double pole breaker installed. Is that enough to run one S19pro? I'm having my electrician come out next week to see about installing a new breaker and running a cable to my garage. Is there anything specific I should let him know other than the power I'm going to be drawing?

- It looks like I need I need C13 x NEMA 6-20P cables and a NEMA 6-20R receptacle. I'm also looking at getting a PDU Power Strip. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks for your help!

15 feet is a tough call.
For every doubling of distance you loose about 6db. the 82db is at 15cm. So 15cm is 82db, 30cm is 76db, 60cm is 70db, 120cm is 64db, 240cm is 58db, and 480cm (a little over 15 feet) is 52db. So it is background noise at that point and having a wall will make it better. BUT it's still the droning of high speed fans. If it's a mostly unused room you are probably fine. If it's a bedroom and they like to sleep in perfect quiet then....

The soundproof box will need a lot of airflow so you will probably have to get creative with the ducting. The miner will shut down if it gets too hot, but you really don't want to keep hitting max temps so do a lot of testing.

For the power, let the electrician know that it's 24/7/365 pull at that power. Not intermittent use.

He can advise what is best in terms of receptacles and codes in your area. I can tell you what you need where I live but the next county over here in NY, is different. I am not even going to guess what code is in a different state.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 03:33:46 PM
Merited by mikeywith (2)

The incredible noise that miners make is something that many/most home miners just do not realize and overlook: it is on par with an old industrial shop-vac or a leaf blower - but louder. A simple test: find your loudest home appliance -- preferably one that is almost painful to hear -- fire it up in the garage and see how loud it is near your neighbors. Odds are you are going to need to put in sound insulation...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6376

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 09:31:55 PM

sound insulation...

These are hardly effective, in the past, I have tried all the different crazy ideas that people on the internet talk about, the noise gets reduced, but nothing close to what most people expect, most people think the center of the noise is the miner itself, so they put in a closed box and expect the sound to disappear, the problem is, the noise is generated by the fans which you can't sound-proof, you can run all the ducts in the world, but the noise will still be there.

of course the longer the duct is the less the noise on the other hand, but that will also mean the miner will run hotter, and thus the fans will spin faster, you need a lot of trial and error to get to the optimal temp to noise results.

IMO the best result is the one you get from underclocking your miner, you can then reduce the fans to ass low as 20% to eliminate most of the noise.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
satseed (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2021, 02:33:26 PM

I have a couple more questions:

- Regarding Bitmain Antminer S19j Pro 104T vs MicroBT M30S+ 102T. Does anyone have any insight on which one is more reliable for someone getting started? Any info about noise would also be appreciated.

- I'm thinking about building a "soundproof" box outside my home. I've attached a rough sketch of what I'm planning to build. Any feedback on the design? The inside will be lined with fire-retardant soundproofing foam and building the box from 3/4 MDF

Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/JekMawA.jpg
satseed (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2021, 08:02:03 PM

Also for the cables that supply power the the miner. C13 x NEMA 6-20P cables will suffice?

Having a hard time finding any information regarding this online
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 02, 2021, 01:32:55 AM

Also for the cables that supply power the the miner. C13 x NEMA 6-20P cables will suffice?
Having a hard time finding any information regarding this online
Mainly just need to make sure they are at least 16ga or preferably 14ga wire. check stayonline.com for cables, good prices and made in USA, UL/CSA rated.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6376

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
November 02, 2021, 05:05:10 AM

Regarding Bitmain Antminer S19j Pro 104T vs MicroBT M30S+ 102T. Does anyone have any insight on which one is more reliable for someone getting started? Any info about noise would also be appreciated.

MicroBT anytime and everyday in terms of reliability, the noise part isn't all the difference but I'd say the 2 of the Whatsminer 14cm fans would be slightly higher than the 4*12cm fans on the S19 pro, but nothing really big, just a minor difference.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████