Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:49:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help getting all 6gpu's working on a MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max Ryzen 5 3400g  (Read 123 times)
Frenchy19951 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 10:19:32 AM

So I'm on to like my third mining rig and up until now I have been using Intel, and using the exact same set up except for one rig where I have a motherboard specifically for the 3060s. Anyways so I decided to build my next rig this time using AMD chip and mining both AMD and Nvidia GPU's.

So far I have been able to get three cards going. Two Nvidia cards and one AMD. It will recognize all the cards if I only plug three in, no matter which three it will recognize it, but if I add more than three it will not recognize it in device manager. The fans turn on and everything so they are getting power.

I have changed all the bios settings that I am aware of, these including 4G decoding, crypto mining, PCI i.e. link speeds (I have tried Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 but to no avail).I have tried turning both on and off CSM, but no change either way. I am unaware of any other settings to adjust.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

(I had forgotten to add "gaming plus Max" to the motherboard description so I redid the post)
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 10:52:17 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2021, 11:29:44 AM by sxemini

So I'm on to like my third mining rig and up until now I have been using Intel, and using the exact same set up except for one rig where I have a motherboard specifically for the 3060s. Anyways so I decided to build my next rig this time using AMD chip and mining both AMD and Nvidia GPU's.

So far I have been able to get three cards going. Two Nvidia cards and one AMD. It will recognize all the cards if I only plug three in, no matter which three it will recognize it, but if I add more than three it will not recognize it in device manager. The fans turn on and everything so they are getting power.

I have changed all the bios settings that I am aware of, these including 4G decoding, crypto mining, PCI i.e. link speeds (I have tried Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 but to no avail).I have tried turning both on and off CSM, but no change either way. I am unaware of any other settings to adjust.

Thank you

(I had forgotten to add "gaming plus Max" to the motherboard description so I redid the post)

First don´t touch pcie gen. That help nothing, i know many people say it can help, but no it makes no difference if you using other pcie gen.

You are using SSD Sata or SSD/nvme for M2 socket? Some mainboards can´t use all pcie slots if you are using the M2 sockets.

Look in the bios and hardware monitor -> look at the pcie slots -> are they recognized or not?

You using riser for all cards? Internal GPU activated? How much RAM?
VRMdude

Activity: 106
Merit: 31

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 11:28:58 AM

Thank you

I solved a similar problem under linux tho on a B550 mobo by using a 1 to 4 pci-e splitter on the primary pci-e x16 slot.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 11:31:45 AM

Thank you

I solved a similar problem under linux tho on a B550 mobo by using a 1 to 4 pci-e splitter on the primary pci-e x16 slot.

Solved? That is not solved. Solved is when you get it run without a splitter. The MSI x470 gaming can handle 6 GPU´s -> i know it because i use it with 6.
VRMdude

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 12:15:03 PM

Thank you

Solved? That is not solved. Solved is when you get it run without a splitter. The MSI x470 gaming can handle 6 GPU´s -> i know it because i use it with 6.

The ideal is I agree to make the rig work using as few parts as possible. However if a quick solution is a cheap splitter then problem solved in clearly a less than ideal way for you to accept but none the less the problem would be solved. The profit from a rig not functioning for a day could well be the cost of a splitter and so mess about seeking the ideal solution at much cost or solve it quickly and profit.... Not ideal but commercially viable sticky plaster approach.

There is a bios setting in recent mobo's which lets us decide how to split the pci-e ports up and i had some success with it but for the life of me i cannot recall its name lol.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1056

View Profile
October 27, 2021, 03:45:51 PM

Thank you

In fact, this technique is used by many miners who do not study motherboards before buying.
Those who are afraid to use a splitter because of the risk of fires, but then you need to choose the right motherboard, and not look for a solution to the problem after purchase.
see this thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5366659.msg58224025#msg58224025
VRMdude

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 02:06:10 PM

For me recently after some light research on latest chipsets i bought a range of mobo's with differing amd chipsets to play with including B450 (yuk) B550 (better it stayed in the rig and works great) X570 (building a gaming pc with that bad ass) because its been a good long while since i built a new pc or rig having skipped Ryzen gen 1 & 2 lol ihave goe from A series APU straight to Zen 2 and have had to learn about m2 issues and ryzen pci-e allocations etc etc as all new to me but this HW should last a few years now.

As far as fire goes when using splitters its an odd thing to worry about imo as there is no real power in a splitter with it being all signal so fire is unlikely going to be caused by a pci-e splitter where powered risers are properly deployed like one string to each riser. I have known failed splitters as they do get hot so keep spares about as you do thou the Borg surely wouldn't approve of such redundancy haha. But bear in mind my rig also heats the house in entierrity so down time is also cold time and winter is coming....

I used a splitter because with an M2 NVME installed it cut down available lanes and solved the problem quickly avoiding any more down time but the M2 NVME makes compiling drivers so quick i can do in an hour what used to take all day when testing driver versions....

In a production environment a better solution is to buy dedicated mining hardware and I fancy a 8+ GPU rig now so looking about at those for a "play" but still have spare slot in the splitter and could swop out the M2 NVME and replace with a USB riser to attempt 8GPU on this consumer level mobo might even get 9 out of it, perhaps in time and if it gets properly cold this winter.... However i am conscious of the philosophy "if it isnt broke then dont fix it".

Cool
miner29

Activity: 1266
Merit: 140

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 03:17:37 PM

Those who are afraid to use a splitter because of the risk of fires,
[/quote]

What is the risk of fires?

There is no risk of fire from a PCIe 1-4 splitter. 
The splitter does not carry power to the risers or even draw much from the bus to power its operations.  Its same as a riser only moving data. 
Maybe this is missed typed or misunderstood but a splitter like a riser reduces chance of fire from over taxing the mobo bus power.
VRMdude

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 03:27:07 PM

Re splitter fires...

I dunno its like there is a miner maximalist sect that wont tolerate the use of splitters as its none cannon blasphemy such is the crusade among the sect for HW purity and to eliminate redundancy from the miner maximalist orthodoxy lol. Maybe miner jesus said "Thou shall not use a splitter needlessly especially to mask ignorance or thy shall be cast down unto the flames of a burning rig". Grin

I jest dont lose your  Cool over it folks...
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 04:10:41 PM

I use splitters since 2016...

risk of fires?
JayDDee

Activity: 1400
Merit: 222

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 04:49:42 PM

I used a splitter because with an M2 NVME installed it cut down available lanes and solved the problem quickly avoiding any more down time but the M2 NVME makes compiling drivers so quick i can do in an hour what used to take all day when testing driver versions....

It makes sense to use NVME for a test rig but a production rig would be better to use SATA to free up
PCIe lanes for GPUs.

Mobos with more features that aren't needed for mining like Bluetooth, high speed USB, extra SATA ports, Wifi, NVME, etc,
will have fewer lanes avalable for the PCIe slots.

In the case of a budget CPU like Celeron or Pentium, it may not supply enough PCIe lanes to serve all the slots
at once.

Check the mobo and CPU specs before buying.

VRMdude

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 05:20:01 PM

It makes sense to use NVME for a test rig but a production rig would be better to use SATA to free up
PCIe lanes for GPUs.

Mobos with more features that aren't needed for mining like Bluetooth, high speed USB, extra SATA ports, Wifi, NVME, etc,
will have fewer lanes avalable for the PCIe slots.

In the case of a budget CPU like Celeron or Pentium, it may not supply enough PCIe lanes to serve all the slots
at once.

Check the mobo and CPU specs before buying.

I dont disagree with this at all other than to say my own situation is not a production environment so im going to solve my headache with a splitter and put my feet up for a bit to restore blood pressure to nominal values. At this time with so many changes and developments going on so fast in the pc world i had to just dive in to learn as reading up on it all wasnt working any more possibly as my own organic embedded processor is in need of a serious defrag and purge of all technology data files less than 32 bit in width. purism such as dont use a splitter to solve your problem is for the yoof possibly dwelling in a production environment as scaling up like that would be unsound technologically and financially, that is agreed i think.... I might also point out that an advantage to using a splitter could be preservation of the mechanical pci-e slots especially if removing GPUs a lot it could wear those slots out, im sure we all had one fail from time to time or go a bit clicky.

Grin Cool
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1056

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 01:10:46 PM

What is the risk of fires?

There is no risk of fire from a PCIe 1-4 splitter.  
The splitter does not carry power to the risers or even draw much from the bus to power its operations.  Its same as a riser only moving data.  
Maybe this is missed typed or misunderstood but a splitter like a riser reduces chance of fire from over taxing the mobo bus power.

I agree that there is no need to worry about the fire, although this tale is very popular.
Most opinions say that using such splitters is not the most reliable solution for stable mining.
The main problem is that these splitters do not work with all motherboards, so they are useless in many cases.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: