Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:16:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet recovery  (Read 356 times)
Kamiil (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 9

View Profile
November 11, 2021, 08:06:11 AM
Merited by LoyceV (4), o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (1)

Hi.
Let me ask you a question.
I set up my wallet in 2014, I think it was Bitcoin Wallet software from Google Play.
I bought a 0.05 BTC.
I made a backup (bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18)
The address is 1MV2No1t2VAyoKhXAKNzGFyZmcXiNfjdB3.

Unfortunately, when I restore this backup in the new version of Bitcoin Wallet software, I don't see anything there.

Is there any way to get back to my bitcoins?

The file "bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18" contains a number of characters:

1MV2No1t2VAyoKiXAKNzGFyZmcXiNfjdB3
149cen8AKLfWrfhpWS5cHnBFZLkfXSDZoK
13bCDmpKyccq8fx8ZTnsDSBrjs2MLcCQ98

(I intentionally changed a few characters so that it would not be misused)

Thank you very much for any advice
Kamil

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PawGo
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1367

View Profile
November 11, 2021, 08:27:52 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2021, 09:24:38 AM by PawGo
Merited by LoyceV (4), o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (2)

I am not an expert in Bitcoin Wallet (for android), but it is possible that something has changed during 7 years, it would be necessary to check release notes.
Maybe they by default work now on (Native)Segwit, not on old 1xxxx format? No idea.
Did you protect wallet with PIN?

Anyway, they say you may manually restore private keys from backup file (scroll to the bottom):
https://github.com/bitcoin-wallet/bitcoin-wallet/blob/master/wallet/README.recover.md
You may try to use their tool (preferably being offline).

As you receive WIF, you may probably easily import it to any other client, mobile or desktop.
Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2021, 08:33:07 AM

Thank you.
Yes, I secured my wallet with a password. I know the password.
PawGo
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1367

View Profile
November 11, 2021, 08:35:52 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I think the best would be to extract private key and use other client - anyway you will need to do it if you want to get your altcoins (check https://findmycoins.ninja/ for your address)
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
November 11, 2021, 10:11:56 AM

Unfortunately, when I restore this backup in the new version of Bitcoin Wallet software, I don't see anything there.
What happens when you restore the wallet? When you say "you don't see anything", do you mean the app can't find the wallet file to restore it, it finds it but won't restore at all, or it does restore but shows you an empty wallet? If it doesn't restore at all, does it give you an error message? If it does restore, do the addresses in the wallet match the addresses you have above? Do they begin with "1" or do they begin with something else?

If you are going to go down the route of dumping your raw private keys, then you should preferably be doing this on an offline computer for security reasons.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16614

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2021, 10:57:58 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2021, 02:26:27 PM by LoyceV

I made a backup (bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18)
From my Recover Bitcoin topic topic:
Determine wallets based on filenames (note: these are the default filenames, you could have renamed yours)
I assume you've tried the first option, that leaves the second option.

I am not an expert in Bitcoin Wallet (for android), but it is possible that something has changed during 7 years, it would be necessary to check release notes.
Maybe they by default work now on (Native)Segwit, not on old 1xxxx format?
I just installed Bitcoin Wallet on Android myself, and opened a backup from early 2015. Weirdly enough it instantly crashes, but after restarting it started syncing my backup (with legacy addresses). It's currently still syncing my old transactions (80 months to go), but instantly showed several old transactions, so it looks like it's still working.
Syncing this wallet takes a very long time. To ask the obvious: did you wait long enough?
Update: After 3.5 hours, I still have 73 out of 80 months to go. It looks like it's going to take more than a day to fully sync.

altcoins (check https://findmycoins.ninja/ for your address)
They're called Forkcoins Wink Note for Kamiil: don't even think about this before moving your Bitcoin out of that address. Otherwise you risk losing it to a compromised wallet.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6264

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2021, 06:58:19 PM

Maybe they by default work now on (Native)Segwit, not on old 1xxxx format?
I just installed Bitcoin Wallet on Android myself, and opened a backup from early 2015. Weirdly enough it instantly crashes, but after restarting it started syncing my backup (with legacy addresses). It's currently still syncing my old transactions (80 months to go), but instantly showed several old transactions, so it looks like it's still working.
Syncing this wallet takes a very long time. To ask the obvious: did you wait long enough?
Update: After 3.5 hours, I still have 73 out of 80 months to go. It looks like it's going to take more than a day to fully sync.

Much like core on a PC, there are a lot of variables as to the speed of sync.
Older phone / tablet with 2GB ram? Or new flagship?
But unless something else is going on it seems like way to long a time.
I have not used the wallet in years but I can probably dig up an old backup and check when I get home to see how long it takes.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2021, 07:31:18 PM

Older phone / tablet with 2GB ram?
Even less Shocked

But unless something else is going on it seems like way to long a time.
I'm not sure exactly what it's doing. Electrum or Mycelium would just instantly get the full data on my addresses from the server and it's done, this wallet seems to somehow check or download something in chronological order.

Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2021, 04:15:58 PM

What happens when you restore the wallet? When you say "you don't see anything", do you mean the app can't find the wallet file to restore it, it finds it but won't restore at all, or it does restore but shows you an empty wallet? If it doesn't restore at all, does it give you an error message? If it does restore, do the addresses in the wallet match the addresses you have above? Do they begin with "1" or do they begin with something else?

If you are going to go down the route of dumping your raw private keys, then you should preferably be doing this on an offline computer for security reasons.

Now I've renewed my wallet. I waited a long time for 60 months to load.
Now I see mBTC 0.00 - so the wallet is empty.
No error message.

The wallet address is different and there is a comment that this address will change after each transaction for security reasons.

In the first post I wrote incorrectly what my backup file "bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18" contains

It correctly contains the following:
U2FsdGVkX1809I / daCCv4Qor7gyUZNvp00Z3Z5TMpJKSRpvDVs1wxikwES5UiKeU0Z4R ....

and many other characters
Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2021, 04:22:02 PM

Maybe they by default work now on (Native)Segwit, not on old 1xxxx format? No idea.
Did you protect wallet with PIN?

Anyway, they say you may manually restore private keys from backup file (scroll to the bottom):
https://github.com/bitcoin-wallet/bitcoin-wallet/blob/master/wallet/README.recover.md
You may try to use their tool (preferably being offline).

As you receive WIF, you may probably easily import it to any other client, mobile or desktop.

Thank you, I tried it according to the instructions, I got to the DECRYPTING paragraph.
I have Windows, I have installed Ubuntu, but I do not know how to enter the path to the file in the command line :-(
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2021, 05:02:59 PM

The wallet address is different and there is a comment that this address will change after each transaction for security reasons.
Does the new address in the restored wallet being with "1", or with something else ("3" or "bc1")?

It correctly contains the following:
U2FsdGVkX1809I / daCCv4Qor7gyUZNvp00Z3Z5TMpJKSRpvDVs1wxikwES5UiKeU0Z4R
That is OpenSSL encrypted Base64 data. The initial string U2FsdGVkX1 decodes to "Salted_". This is normal for a backup from Schildbach's Bitcoin Wallet.

When you open the wallet file with your Bitcoin Wallet app, are you prompted for your password? Do you get an option to choose an address type or derivation path?

I have installed Ubuntu, but I do not know how to enter the path to the file in the command line :-(
/path/to/wallet/bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2021, 05:15:00 PM

Thank you, I tried it according to the instructions, I got to the DECRYPTING paragraph.
I have Windows, I have installed Ubuntu, but I do not know how to enter the path to the file in the command line :-(

What step you are now following? Is that the "RECOVERING FROM BASE58 KEY FORMAT" or "RECOVERING FROM PROTOBUF WALLET FORMAT" or are you still decrypting the wallet?

Anyway I found an old guide and maybe it can help you [HOW-TO] Export seed and private keys from your Bitcoin Wallet for Android

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2021, 05:04:10 PM

Does the new address in the restored wallet being with "1", or with something else ("3" or "bc1")?

The new address is "bc1qve5gf6juven........"

That is OpenSSL encrypted Base64 data. The initial string U2FsdGVkX1 decodes to "Salted_". This is normal for a backup from Schildbach's Bitcoin Wallet.

When you open the wallet file with your Bitcoin Wallet app, are you prompted for your password? Do you get an option to choose an address type or derivation path?

Yes, I am prompted for a password. I know the password. Nothing more to choose from.

/path/to/wallet/bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18

But where should I copy the file to disk if I have Windows with Ubuntu installed?
By the way - thank you for your willingness!

Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2021, 05:10:17 PM

What step you are now following? Is that the "RECOVERING FROM BASE58 KEY FORMAT" or "RECOVERING FROM PROTOBUF WALLET FORMAT" or are you still decrypting the wallet?

Still decrypting the wallet. I don't know where to upload the backup file. I have Windows (C: \ ..) and installed Ubuntu on Windows. I'm sorry, I'm an amateur in Linux.

Anyway I found an old guide and maybe it can help you [HOW-TO] Export seed and private keys from your Bitcoin Wallet for Android

Thank you, I'll look into it
LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2021, 05:16:16 PM

Now I've renewed my wallet. I waited a long time for 60 months to load.
Now I see mBTC 0.00 - so the wallet is empty.
No error message.
For what it's worth: my old transactions showed up when I restored my backup. If there are no transactions: any chance you have the wrong backup?

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2021, 05:56:47 PM

The new address is "bc1qve5gf6juven........"
This is a segwit address. The address you had before, beginning with "1", is a legacy address. This is why your wallet cannot see your coins. In your wallet, try going to Options (three small dots at the top right) and click on "Request to legacy address". Then hit the share button and look at the address which pops up. Does this match any of your old addresses?

But where should I copy the file to disk if I have Windows with Ubuntu installed?
How have you installed Ubuntu? In a virtual machine? You can copy it anywhere your Ubuntu install can see it. I would just stick it in /home/ for ease.
Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2021, 08:20:29 PM

In your wallet, try going to Options (three small dots at the top right) and click on "Request to legacy address". Then hit the share button and look at the address which pops up. Does this match any of your old addresses?

When I do this twice in a row, the old address is always different.

First:
113EEBvAoP16AZtmsL6UjUdtvCxY8xdNYM
Second time:
18QRDZbjEbmPojspNqvEMsBpgmMxmwjwL6
Third:
18x23KHaTwmuA72VSVoBWkSQd6GAcGoFmg
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2021, 08:29:28 PM

When I do this twice in a row, the old address is always different.
Yes, that's normal. Every time you request coins to an address, it considers that address "used" and will generate the next address in the wallet when you request another one. If the first handful don't match any of your old addresses, then you can stop going down this path.

I think your best option at this point is going to be to decrypt the wallet file as discussed above and dump the raw private keys. How are you getting on with using Ubuntu?
Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2021, 08:31:51 PM

If there are no transactions: any chance you have the wrong backup?

I hope I have the right backup.
If I make a backup before buying bitcoins, do I always need to make a new backup?
Kamiil (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2021, 08:38:04 PM

How are you getting on with using Ubuntu?

I followed the instructions - I installed Ubuntu from the Windows Store.
But I still don't know where to copy the backup file to my computer :-(

kamiil@vitasekk10:~$ openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -md md5 -a -in bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18 > bitcoin-wallet-decrypted-backup
Can't open bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18 for reading, No such file or directory
139925001474688:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69:fopen('bitcoin-wallet-backup-2014-08-18','r')
139925001474688:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76:
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: