Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:05:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [INFO] Tips to keep your account safe from thieves and scammers  (Read 582 times)
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 940
Merit: 417

Eclipse© Cryptographic equipment

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2021, 06:24:54 PM
Merited by krogothmanhattan (3)

A few more ways that you can avoid being prey:

1. Employ a robust email software security solution that can detect phishing emails before they reach an end-user. Even if a solution is unable to detect all phishing and spear-phishing emails sent today, a solution that detects an appreciable percentage of phishing messages can decrease your organization’s exposure to phishing-based threats.

2. Leverage user awareness training that addresses real-world email phishing techniques used by threat actors today. For example, teach end users that ransomware attackers are hijacking email accounts and inserting themselves into ongoing conversations to introduce malicious attachments or links into a conversation appearing to come from a trusted user.

3. Caution vigilance for “reply all” emails that contain only an attachment or link with a very brief or no message.

4. Emphasize that “unpaid invoices” is a very common phishing lure."

Citation:

Dwyer, J. (2021, November 30). Understanding the Adversary: How Ransomware Attacks Happen. Security Intelligence. https://securityintelligence.com/posts/how-ransomware-attacks-happen/

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
██████▄█▄██████████▀█████
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
██████████████▄███▄██████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Steeley

Activity: 1125
Merit: 265

Byzantine Generals' Problem solved,Prosperity Next

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 11:00:29 PM
Merited by owlcatz (1)

I vote for this thread to be added to the permanent list of threads at the top of the forum. Too many people getting scammed here.

Steeley

Beware of scammers. I will never discuss the sale of Collectibles on Telegram or any other messaging client outside the forum.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
December 11, 2021, 03:31:41 PM

I vote for this thread to be added to the permanent list of threads at the top of the forum. Too many people getting scammed here.

Steeley

Sounds good - I have some stuff in my sig that can help learn PGP/GPG as well...

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
MrCryptHodl

Activity: 1078
Merit: 872

In Bitcoin We Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2021, 03:48:05 PM

Steeley

Sounds good - I have some stuff in my sig that can help learn PGP/GPG as well...

So I've used PGP a lot on Tails or whatever, but I don't know if it's really suitable for all users.

Of course this is one of the best methods, people can check messages and keys etc, but maybe too much for lot of users here.

I don't know if it's possible, but there should at least be the possibility of activating a 2FA with PGP on the forum, because the sales and the sums here are very important, we are not talking about small amount. (So that people who know how to use can set it up on their accounts, especially sellers / creators)

Est2013

Activity: 399
Merit: 122

View Profile
December 11, 2021, 04:31:52 PM

So I've used PGP a lot on Tails or whatever, but I don't know if it's really suitable for all users.

Of course this is one of the best methods, people can check messages and keys etc, but maybe too much for lot of users here.

I don't know if it's possible, but there should at least be the possibility of activating a 2FA with PGP on the forum, because the sales and the sums here are very important, we are not talking about small amount. (So that people who know how to use can set it up on their accounts, especially sellers / creators)

A login 2FA would be a great addition. But I disagree with the mentality of "too much for lot of users here." While that may be true, imo that is the cost/requirement of "being your own bank" and transacting on a community driven platform.

Everyone has a line/comfort zone, if you have not taken the time to learn PGP and the additional steps to protect yourself, you simply haven't been pushed across that line of inconvenience yet. We should encourage new and existing members to cross that barrier and learn, before learning the hard way.

Promoting from newbie status should be a crash course in security; rather than a single merit.

PGP FINGERPRINT: D30B DBBF 5110 0DEB 73C9  4BCF 4590 5E19 1997 3FB5
MrCryptHodl

In Bitcoin We Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2021, 04:38:49 PM

A login 2FA would be a great addition. But I disagree with the mentality of "too much for lot of users here." While that may be true, imo that is the cost/requirement of "being your own bank" and transacting on a community driven platform.

Everyone has a line/comfort zone, if you have not taken the time to learn PGP and the additional steps to protect yourself, you simply haven't been pushed across that line of inconvenience yet. We should encourage new and existing members to cross that barrier and learn, before learning the hard way.

Promoting from newbie status should be a crash course in security; rather than a single merit.

ah but when I say that it's a lot for some it's a reality, I mean the PGP is not necessarily for everyone, nowadays people use platforms like Binance or Coinbase with the 2FA of google, I don't think they necessarily see the side being their own bank.

And a lot of people here just buy, that's why I was saying for sellers and creators, I assume that a Creator already has a lot of Opsec behind.

But I agree that the people who are here should get out of their comfort zones and learn in depth, but here people have such a close life and I don't think everyone has time to do that unfortunately

owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2021, 04:49:11 PM

Unfortunately thermos already said multiple times that 2fa won't be implemented despite the fact that billions were spent on a new forum that nobody uses.. will edit with links later. Roll Eyes

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Est2013

Activity: 399
Merit: 122

View Profile
December 11, 2021, 04:52:31 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2021, 05:13:49 PM by Est2013

ah but when I say that it's a lot for some it's a reality, I mean the PGP is not necessarily for everyone, nowadays people use platforms like Binance or Coinbase with the 2FA of google, I don't think they necessarily see the side being their own bank.

And a lot of people here just buy, that's why I was saying for sellers and creators, I assume that a Creator already has a lot of Opsec behind.

But I agree that the people who are here should get out of their comfort zones and learn in depth, but here people have such a close life and I don't think everyone has time to do that unfortunately

You have good points MrCryptHodl  Smiley

But I say, let's not focus all our efforts on changing the platform, but keep encouraging change from our users.

You are right, the Binances/Coinbases of the world are simplifying crypto, which is the key for adoption, but those platforms are run under a strict set of rules to govern and protect its users. With that comes necessary restrictions - That mentality is for the ebays of the world.

But I don't totally disagree with your direction and points. Thanks for the discussion  Smiley

EDIT: We are both deff on the same page in the overall direction here. I just think we should be hesitant to cater to the convenience for all users on this specific platform; seems like a slippery slope. But +1 for login 2fa!

PGP FINGERPRINT: D30B DBBF 5110 0DEB 73C9  4BCF 4590 5E19 1997 3FB5
MrCryptHodl

In Bitcoin We Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2021, 05:00:17 PM

Unfortunately thermos already said multiple times that 2fa won't be implemented despite the fact that billions were spent on a new forum that nobody uses.. will edit with links later. Roll Eyes

Oh, a valid reason? Or does he just not want to spend time on it? because this is the Bitcoin Forum, it should not stay that way indefinitely, new people are starting to discover collectibles, they are coming to the Forum, everyone deserves protection. We don't try to modify the creation of Satoshi, just a 2FA in the forum XD

You have good points MrCryptHodl  Smiley

But I say, let's not focus all our efforts on changing the platform, but keep encouraging change from our users.

You are right, the Binances/Coinbases of the world are simplifying crypto, which is the key for adoption, but those platforms are run under a strict set of rules to govern and protect its users. With that comes necessary restrictions - That mentality is for the ebays of the world.

But I don't totally disagree with your direction and points. Thanks for the discussion  Smiley

I completely agree with you, we are not going to put all our efforts on it, in any case we are making newcomers aware of this subject, whether through this post, or by PM, But I just find its not really good that the community does not have a say in it, it's not very Bitcoin.

and yes that for the ebay of this world what Binance or Coinbase do.

You're welcome ! thanks to you too  Cheesy

krogoth

Activity: 1217
Merit: 138

Krogothmanhattan alt account

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2021, 05:03:28 PM

2Fa with a yubikey would be great just like Gmail login setup.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CIPHER BILLS-CIPHER BONDS-CIPHER STAMPS * www.CYPHERHODL.com * COLD STORAGE BITCOIN CERTIFICATES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2021, 02:41:56 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2021, 02:55:55 AM by owlcatz
Merited by Steeley (1)

So I can't find anywhere he addresses 2FA directly, but here are some of the many posts brought up about it since 2013. Roll Eyes

👍

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
XYZo

Activity: 95
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 03:23:55 AM

Good looking, we need more like you.
krogoth

Activity: 1217
Merit: 138

Krogothmanhattan alt account

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2021, 06:14:09 PM

Yubi also came out with a yubi biometric version....even adding another layer of protection!

https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-bio-series/

Passwordless multi-factor authentication
Secure and convenient passwordless MFA login with the YubiKey Bio authenticator and biometric information using a fingerprint, with a PIN as a fallback.

2Fa is the way to go with these type of log in requirements.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CIPHER BILLS-CIPHER BONDS-CIPHER STAMPS * www.CYPHERHODL.com * COLD STORAGE BITCOIN CERTIFICATES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2021, 02:32:14 AM
Merited by krogothmanhattan (1)

Stay aware that hacked accounts are sending phishing links. Don't click the link sent by an account you don't know.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2022, 03:40:01 PM

Looks like the phishing attempts have been ongoing since June 01, 2018

from user MCHouston:

"User sent me a PM with a link to what seems like a bitcointalk post, upon further inspection it is a link to a completely different site, that looks like bitcointalk trying to steal passwords and try other things.

Link to their profile: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=940588

Screenshot of PM and the real URL it would send you too."

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2022, 01:41:41 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2022, 01:57:50 PM by owlcatz

Actually phishing has been going on since 2014 at least, but I don't know how far back you can find it documented here ...

This change used to help, but I don't know if people know about it or not anymore, or even notice it's different. Roll Eyes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1432118.0

Edit - Example - Hover over the different links in my signature. Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████