Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:36:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Derivation path for brute forcing "25th word" on a multisig wallet  (Read 87 times)
asdfghj (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 8

View Profile
November 26, 2021, 07:17:17 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2021, 07:50:05 PM by asdfghj
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), LoyceV (2), ABCbits (1), nc50lc (1)

So I added a 25th word to my seed, forgot it, and am (after 6 months of on and off guessing) relegated to brute force (3rdIteration/btcrecover).

Succinct question: what derivation path should I specify in the --bip32-path argument?

• Hardware: Original Trezor
  • Wallet creating software: Electrum in 2017
  • Wallet setup: 2o3
  • Wallet current software: Electrum in 2021
  • the xpubs are known

Electrum 2021 shows:
  • script type, p2sh
  • cosigner 1 [HW] trezor1 m/45'/0
  • cosigner 2 [HW] trezor2 m/45'/0
  • cosigner 3 unknown unknown.
  • addresses, previous sends, balance (though maybe these are stored and not derived??)

I am trying to crack cosigner 2.

It is possible I copied the xpub from an old wallet so I am questioning the guarentee that m/45'/0 is the correct derivation path.  This is a multisig wallet. In electrum the walletinfo pane lists a derivation path of m/45'/0. Is this a derivation path I can use to crack my xpriv > xpub? Or is this misleading me and is instead a derivation path from xpub x 3 > multisig addresses (in this case my xpriv > xpub path could be anything)?

I've gone through most of the character spaces which I think my passphrase could occupy so I am hoping I am doing something wrong or the transition from 2017 to 2021 electrum has introduced a variation I have missed.

Any tips on what to double check? Notably this[1] post lists m/44'/0/

btcrecover command: python3 btcrecover.py --tokenlist tokenlist2.txt --mpk "xpub69XXX" --bip32-path "m/45'/0" --mnemonic "24 words verified to match my trezor" --bip39

[1]: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/51989/what-bip32-derivation-path-does-electrum-use-for-multisig?rq=1
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
November 27, 2021, 02:36:54 PM
Merited by asdfghj (1)

The derivation paths shown by Electrum for each individual cosigner will be the derivation path for that individual cosigner, and not for the multi-sig wallet as a whole. Whatever xpub is shown for cosigner 2 in Electrum will be at the derivation path that it shows for cosigner 2. m/45'/0 is the standard Electrum derivation path for legacy multi-sig, so it does indeed seem that your cosigner 2 xprv will be at m/45'/0. If the xpub for cosigner 2 had been copied from another wallet and pasted in when creating this multi-sig wallet, then it would display the derivation path as "unknown". The fact that it is showing you m/45'/0 (and that it knows it came from a Trezor) means that this is not the case.

Your btcrecover command looks fine as far as I can see, provided you are sure your seed phrase is correct and your tokenlist is doing what you think it is doing. You can use the --listpass command to check.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: