Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:25:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin donate widget for wordpress blog  (Read 2117 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 11:12:08 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2012, 06:07:05 PM by film2240

Hi,
I'm just wondering if it's possible for someone to create a widget that I can add to my blog that'll let me accept bitcoins more easily to help support the BTC? If someone's already developed it,can they please link to it with setup instructions for a wordpress.com based blog as wordpress.org based blogs are self hosted whereas my blog:www.film2240.wordpress.com is hosted on wordpress own servers (not my own) and may have restrictions on what code can be run or which widgets can be installed.I'm really not sure so thats why I'm asking.

Thank you

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 12:43:17 PM

Take a look here for an example of how this can be done without any special widget: http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack

Just install a suitable Bitcoin client (e.g. MultiBit see http://multibit.org) and then post the generated QR code (or Bitcoin swatch) on to your site. The private key remains within your client and is never exposed.

Takes 5 minutes.

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 05:05:36 PM

garyrowe,this solution you've created is very easy to setup and I have now added it to my blog.
The blog is:www.film2240.wordpress.com

It's being used for the donate feature (as I dislike paperwork and traceable money issues).I need a few volunteers to test that this works for me.The donate cost is set at 0.5BTC for testing purposes.I'm not sure if that 0.5BTC tells the client to automatically donate 0.5BTC or if it lets you insert the BTC address manually and then able to donate what you wish rather than the set figure. If this works fine,I'd like my blog to be added to the list of websites that accepts BTC as I feel I can do my part to make BTC more widely adopted as well as more valuable (and therefore profitable)

It's a QR code,so you'll need your phones for this one.

Thank you.:-)

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 05:20:48 PM

Nice to see your QR code on your blog.

For MultiBit (the client Gary and I have been writing), you can drag the QR code onto the 'Send Bitcoin' form and it fills the form for you (with the address, label and amount).   The user can then tweak the amount if they like.

Here is a screen shot where I have tweaked the 0.5 BTC amount to 0.51 BTC:

http://multibit.org/postImages/film2240.png

The user then has to press 'Send' and then has a confirmation screen to navigate through so it will not automatically spend other people's bitcoins.   It is a pretty simple 'drag', 'click', 'click' operation though.

I imagine most phone clients will do something similar.

Jim

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
garyrowe

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 05:23:56 PM

Having a quick look over the site www.film2240.wordpress.com it appears that the donate by Bitcoin doesn't explain how to donate for those people unfamiliar with Bitcoin. I'd suggest adding some text pointing to lovebitcoins.org which was suggested as the public face of Bitcoin for mainstream access at the Prague conference.

The Bitcoin URI currently encoded into the QR code is a valid address and would show up in a typical mobile client as a suggested donation, the customer/donator is free to change this value to whatever they prefer. The label also helps with tracking for the customer.

The MultiBit (http://multibit.org) client will support the customer/donator performing a drag and drop payment from the browser so that's also good. However, it is often helpful to provide the raw address since it can be copy/pasted into any client thus making sure you don't accidently exclude some potential donators.

I will be updating my own example to reflect these suggestions, so please accept my apologies for the lack of detail.

garyrowe

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 05:24:20 PM

Hat tip to Jim for a speedy response.

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 05:51:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reponse guys.I'll be adding an explanation for users unfamiliar to bitcoins as I feel it is high time this idea got more acceptance.Once I sort out the explanation with the link provided,I'll then be able to sort out the other issues that remain.

Thanks for the very helpful and quick responses guys :-)

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 05:57:48 PM

Update:The  guide has been added and embedded to the QR code so that when you hover over it,a caption tells the user to click on it to access the http://lovebitcoins.org/ link to read more about Bitcoins and guide the user.

I forgot to say thanks for the donation in my last post.Sorry about that.

The raw bitcoin address will be added alongside the QR code so that everyone has access to it.This should be done fairly soon.

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 06:25:58 PM

Update:The how to use link is now added underneath the QR code as that link contains the BTC address as well as QR code linking to http://lovebitcoins.org/ when clicked on and a blog post was made here http://film2240.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/featuredonate-via-qr-code/ outlining the change on the blog and how to use the feature basically.

If everything works out nicely for most users,then can my blog be added to the BTC accepting sites.I need people to test that the information is clear and easy to understand and that clicking the code sends you to this site http://lovebitcoins.org/ as intended thanks.

As for that how to use thing below it,I cant seem to make wordpress turn that into a link for some reason as that's plain text (that's embedded in the caption and captions aren't allowed to be text in wordpress.com blogs I think) that has to be copied into the address bar or just select and drag (or open new link after right clicking in your web browser).

I hope this makes life easier for people.Now if only the main payment processors (Paypal,banks,e.t.c) would make it this easy for other to donate :-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: