Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:27:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Micron weirdness  (Read 150 times)
maxpaxmaster (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2021, 08:35:48 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2021, 09:54:53 PM by maxpaxmaster

Hello!

K so, I'm mew to GPU-mining. I bought a BTC-T37, 1600w PSU and three 1060 6GB Asus cards and got it all working very good in hiveOS, more cards on the way.

Today I got a Gigabyte "GTX 1080 8 GB G1 Gaming" with  Micron GDDR5X memory. I watched the youtubes and searched the interwebs for where to start and all went well until I activated "the pill".

In t-rex I get a "can't find nonce" error before crash, in phoenixminer and MBminer I also get errors. The card says "rev 1.0" on it so I set the pill delay to -50 and just by a fluke I tested some settings that some youtuber had (core 50, mem 500, PL 110, pill on) with NBminer and it started hashing at 30Mh+ Wonderful!, but... as soon as I try another miner, it crashes. As soon as I change any frequency or PL value, it crashes. The only way I have found to make it get going again is to turn off the pill, reboot the worker, let it get going on the above mentioned values in NBminer for a couple of minutes, and then turn on the pill. Been stable for 3 hours with 100% accepted shares now.

Any ideas?

My monitors broke and I only have laptops so I can't check motherboard bios settings until I get a monitor (on it's way). When it crashes, oftentimes any restarted miner can't find any GPU at all, that tells me it can be a bios setting issue (like Gen 1, gen 2 etc), but I don't know...

Regards,

maxpax

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
long2905

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 01, 2021, 09:16:55 AM

forget the pill, try trex or gminer with -mt 3 or 4 and go from there.
maxpaxmaster (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 01, 2021, 03:04:18 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2021, 03:56:17 PM by maxpaxmaster

Hi.

I continued searching and indeed found that this issue seems quite common, and I did just that which you proposed. Works nice, and I'm happy I am not bound to special startup sequences or such anymore. After tweaking I found the most efficient setting with mt 5, core 75, 111 PL with 31.13 Mh @ 115w measured. Touching memory clock at all wouldn't work. The eth pill in nbminer was just a tad more efficient (-0.1W/h), but not worth the trouble as t-rexminer has higher efficiency on all the other cards.

Thanks, going forward now.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 01, 2021, 03:22:29 PM

On my hive Os, such a video card works fine with a tablet.
power  +50
memory 1000
power limit 165

34 megahashes.
The tablet is activated in the miner settings, no additional settings needed.
On Ethereum, the hash rate is constantly decreasing with each new epoch for old Nvidia video cards.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
abikobong

Activity: 432
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2022, 11:48:56 PM

when it comes to overclocking memory thats already overclocked thru timings is a bad idea and it creates instability and can force the card to set different timings then intended by the pill. gtx 1080 gets lower hashrate as soon as you increase memory frequency.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
February 22, 2022, 11:35:07 AM

when it comes to overclocking memory thats already overclocked thru timings is a bad idea and it creates instability and can force the card to set different timings then intended by the pill. gtx 1080 gets lower hashrate as soon as you increase memory frequency.

Dude can you stop writing bullshit? Overclocking and tied timings is no problem, everyone do it on this way for years now.

Hello!

K so, I'm mew to GPU-mining. I bought a BTC-T37, 1600w PSU and three 1060 6GB Asus cards and got it all working very good in hiveOS, more cards on the way.

Today I got a Gigabyte "GTX 1080 8 GB G1 Gaming" with  Micron GDDR5X memory. I watched the youtubes and searched the interwebs for where to start and all went well until I activated "the pill".

In t-rex I get a "can't find nonce" error before crash, in phoenixminer and MBminer I also get errors. The card says "rev 1.0" on it so I set the pill delay to -50 and just by a fluke I tested some settings that some youtuber had (core 50, mem 500, PL 110, pill on) with NBminer and it started hashing at 30Mh+ Wonderful!, but... as soon as I try another miner, it crashes. As soon as I change any frequency or PL value, it crashes. The only way I have found to make it get going again is to turn off the pill, reboot the worker, let it get going on the above mentioned values in NBminer for a couple of minutes, and then turn on the pill. Been stable for 3 hours with 100% accepted shares now.

Any ideas?

My monitors broke and I only have laptops so I can't check motherboard bios settings until I get a monitor (on it's way). When it crashes, oftentimes any restarted miner can't find any GPU at all, that tells me it can be a bios setting issue (like Gen 1, gen 2 etc), but I don't know...

Regards,

maxpax

Such high mem clock is not needed anymore and the pill is useless. Use --mt 2 parameter is more useful. PciE Gen1 or 2 is not needed, i never set this option in the last 5 years.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: