Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:49:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capital Gains My Ass! The IRS Just Invested In Bitcoin!  (Read 1533 times)
rat (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:39:36 PM

GTFO of my country you thieving mafia thugs!
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:46:51 PM

i think that this is a good thing because its actually some positive media about bitcoin if the irs is noticing it and going to start taxing it

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 08:52:41 PM

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

They had a form of money that gave themselves a monopoly on power through control over the printing (=inflation) of currency.

We invented a far superior form of money, completely transcending their greedy, selfish system.

Is anyone surprised they now want a piece of our pie? They're bullies! They've always been bullies.

Look, the IRS could have chosen the path of reason and logic, convinced us of the merits of government and the reasons we should support it (as crypto-enthusiasts are doing every day!). Our government could have chosen to solicit donations and raise awareness of the value of roads, schools, fire departments, police, water treatment, recycling, and garbage collection. But they didn't.

Every government has this choice between reason and force. And all of them have chosen coercion and force, because up until cryptocurrency, this was the path of least resistance. They felt justified because "we're the federal government!", just as feudal lords felt justified in the use of force against disobedient peasants, because "We rule by the will of god!". Both are bullshit, of course.

Cryptocurrency is making that path - the path of force and violence - impossible and irrelevant as we speak. This is a great thing for all the people of the world excluding the oligarchs!

In the future, governments will need to justify their existence through virtuous action, rather than impose their existence and their will on the people by force, deception, and manipulation.

Technology (specifically augmented reality), and the ever-accelerating speed at which information flows, will soon make deception obsolete and useless as a method of getting what you want. Any authority which relies on the combination of deception and force will melt away, like early-spring snow in the first light of dawn.

Nation-state governments will either adapt to this new environment by changing their ways (for the better of all humanity) or they will destroy themselves by struggling to cling to their ill-gotten power.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:59:36 PM

To whom are you speaking?

I think the original poster is addressing the IRS and those the support and push this type of policy but I could be wrong.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 10:16:18 PM

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

They had a form of money that gave themselves a monopoly on power through control over the printing (=inflation) of currency.

We invented a far superior form of money, completely transcending their greedy, selfish system.

Is anyone surprised they now want a piece of our pie? They're bullies! They've always been bullies.

Look, the IRS could have chosen the path of reason and logic, convinced us of the merits of government and the reasons we should support it (as crypto-enthusiasts are doing every day!). Our government could have chosen to solicit donations and raise awareness of the value of roads, schools, fire departments, police, water treatment, recycling, and garbage collection. But they didn't.

Every government has this choice between reason and force. And all of them have chosen coercion and force, because up until cryptocurrency, this was the path of least resistance. They felt justified because "we're the federal government!", just as feudal lords felt justified in the use of force against disobedient peasants, because "We rule by the will of god!". Both are bullshit, of course.

Cryptocurrency is making that path - the path of force and violence - impossible and irrelevant as we speak. This is a great thing for all the people of the world excluding the oligarchs!

In the future, governments will need to justify their existence through virtuous action, rather than impose their existence and their will on the people by force, deception, and manipulation.

Technology (specifically augmented reality), and the ever-accelerating speed at which information flows, will soon make deception obsolete and useless as a method of getting what you want. Any authority which relies on the combination of deception and force will melt away, like early-spring snow in the first light of dawn.

Nation-state governments will either adapt to this new environment by changing their ways (for the better of all humanity) or they will destroy themselves by struggling to cling to their ill-gotten power.

Very poetic, and I agree with your sentiment, but how will "augmented reality" prevent deception? Hasn't the ubiquity of technology made corruption and malfeasance easier? Do you really think we'll all be saved from "coercion and force" by the latest Apple/Google-approved tech and/or crypto? Even in an RMS utopia of all open-source and "free as in freedom" hardware and software, how does technology change human nature? "Binary blobs do not a prison make."

I remember a time long before web pages, smart phones, google glass, even before Mosaic and old baud modems, and let me assure you, very little has changed other than the public using all these new gadgets as fancy toys for trite socializing and corps/govts using them to spy on everyone.

It's clear that the world is changing, such that many traditional institutions are being rendered outmoded and obsolete—a healthy purging perhaps. Cryptocurrencies, for instance, are great. But they reflect virtue—or a lack thereof—as much as they foster it.

I hope you're trolling, young man, but if you're not, try some sunshine, light exercise, travel, and fun for an even more augmented form of reality.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 10:20:37 PM

Very poetic, and I agree with your sentiment, but how will "augmented reality" prevent deception?
Augmented reality will prevent deception when it evolves to the point of being able to enhance our bullshit-detection abilities. When we can say, "computer, verify this information please", and computer says back to you "warning: this information is worded deceptively" or "warning: sources checked, information is FALSE" in a matter of seconds. It won't be long before our augmented reality devices can google things for us, giving us a direct and instant connection to the "extended mind" of the internet.

And the software that does this will almost certainly be open source, and selflessly gifted to the world just as cryptocurrency was.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
MarketNeutral

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:14:53 PM

Very poetic, and I agree with your sentiment, but how will "augmented reality" prevent deception?
Augmented reality will prevent deception when it evolves to the point of being able to enhance our bullshit-detection abilities. When we can say, "computer, verify this information please", and computer says back to you "warning: this information is worded deceptively" or "warning: sources checked, information is FALSE" in a matter of seconds. It won't be long before our augmented reality devices can google things for us, giving us a direct and instant connection to the "extended mind" of the internet.

And the software that does this will almost certainly be open source, and selflessly gifted to the world just as cryptocurrency was.

Except to me, that reality sounds worse than dealing with regular reality.

I hope you're right, insofar as being able to trust google to be virtuous, or to trust a programmer to know how to write bug-free code for truth-recognition and also being able to trust the corporation that's paying his salary. Sorry, I don't trust most people, and therefore, I don't trust most tech, since tech comes from people. However, I will reconsider my position regarding google when all their hardware and software is completely open source. I don't even care under which license they publish their code.

Personally, I have zero interest in augmented reality. I also have zero problems with others wishing to connect to the latest google machine as long as I'm not required to do so, as well. Imposing AI-google-apple-truth-tech upon people "so you can stay connected" seems a more likely scenario than the utopia you're expecting.

Could be wrong. Hope my misanthropic tendencies are unwarranted.

brb preparing for a life of living amongst the squirrels and raccoons
brb selling my investment companies for a van down by the river
brb preparing to explain to the borg why I don't want to be borg
brb wondering how many great symphonies and paintings have never been produced because people were too busy twittering and facebook stalking
brb wondering what's taking the Sun so long to produce a planetary-wide EMP-level event
brb brb

Wayyyy off topic, I know.

On topic, methinks quite a few people working for the IRS actually hold bitcoins. Hats off to ya, ya smarmy paper pushers! Cheers!
lurking-hippy

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:20:49 AM

i quit using cash to get away from them, now there here on ma ass again..
redwhite037

Activity: 560
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:53:20 AM

My guess is that since they know they cannot shut bitcoin down, then they will do what they can to suppress it. We are talking about the bankers afterall ... the only group in the world that is threatened by bitcoins existence.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 07:39:43 AM

the more high level government officials/bankers have invested in bitcoins

the better it is for bitcoin holders as they wont want to fuck over their own bitcoin holdings

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:51:25 AM

The IRS guidance is actually very good for btc
Clarity helps, uncertainty doesn't

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:53:59 AM

I think the original poster is addressing the IRS and those the support and push this type of policy but I could be wrong.
My unambitious cousin works for the IRS as a seasonal clerical worker who was so happy when his pay grade went up to GS-7. He's probably a typical example of the IRS workforce. I doubt the OP was speaking to people like my cousin.
MarketNeutral

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:26:48 PM

My unambitious cousin works for the IRS as a seasonal clerical worker who was so happy when his pay grade went up to GS-7. He's probably a typical example of the IRS workforce. I doubt the OP was speaking to people like my cousin.

lol. This is actually a very astute perspective. Srs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: