Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:02:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S17+ Immersion - PSU Fans  (Read 330 times)
kcnelson (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 04, 2021, 01:29:49 PM

I plan to build out immersion system for an Antminer S17+, how do we deal with the fans inside the PSU?

This is a question about the three small fans inside the PSU housing, which are two wire.

It sounds like the PSU must recognize that the fans are consuming voltage for the PSU to power on properly.

Any experience is greatly appreciated.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
December 04, 2021, 01:45:51 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

I believe it is safe to just let them run in the liquid. The fans need to spin or the PSU will shut down, but they apparently don't need to spin very fast. To disable them, you'd need to open up the supply and install fan simulators, which would be a real pain the ass.

These guys have a ton of info on their website about using immersion with miners

https://www.engineeredfluids.com/

Here's a video from them demonstrating how they prepare an S19 for immersion cooling:

https://vimeo.com/499856075

And the S17:

https://vimeo.com/499859272

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
kcnelson (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2021, 02:10:25 PM

Thank you for the video links.  In those videos, the S17 PSU fans are removed but never referenced, the S19 PSU fans remain but never referenced.

My question remains for the S17+ which is similar to the S19 configuration through obviously different.

I have 15ohm resistors at the ready, but I'd really like to find some experience with the S17+.
wndsnb

View Profile
December 04, 2021, 02:21:24 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2021, 02:53:33 PM by wndsnb

I believe they specifically say in the video that they don't bother removing the fans since they don't draw much power and it takes a lot of effort to open up the PSU and install fan simulators.

The feedback signal from the fans is normally a pulse signal that varies frequency with the RPM of the fan, so just a resistor would not work. The simulators generate that signal so the control electronics thing the fan is spinning.

There is more info in the "SLIC Primer" pdf that you can download from the website as well.

edit: looks like they didn't mention why they don't recommend removing the fans in those videos, but they did in another one of theirs I saw, if I find it I'll post the link.

kcnelson (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2021, 02:33:09 PM

Again, thank you.

The PSU fans are 2 wire, only positive and negative no feedback signal indicating the fan RPM.

The large case fans on the front and back of the miners are four wire, do have the feedback for RPM, do require circuit boards for simulation.  I have these circuit boards as part of my plan for the case fans.

My question remains open, does anyone have experience with S17+ Immersion for how to deal with the PSU fans?
wndsnb

View Profile
December 04, 2021, 03:27:07 PM

Ha ... you are correct, they are 2 wire fans! I didn't pay much attention to the fans when I last opened some up, but just grabbed an APW9+ and popped it open to take a look.

In the S17 video, they have the fans removed but the guy gives instructions for how to just remove the fan guard without dropping the fan the same as in the S19 video if you decide not to remove them. The PSU for the S17 is identical to the S17+ internally. Still trying to find where I saw them talking about the PSU fans specifically.

edit: found it... http://faq.engineeredfluids.com/3571166/When-immersing-the-power-supply-for-S17-do-you-need-to-spoof-the-fans-also

kcnelson (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 04:39:35 AM
Merited by wndsnb (2)

I left the PSU fans connected, but removed the cover.  All in all the fans help to circulate the fluid.
wndsnb

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 01:07:25 PM

Thanks for posting that it worked. Would love to see a pic of your setup.

Be careful with that PSU cover off... those caps in the PSU will hold a charge and can give you a pretty bad shock if you touch the wrong spot soon after removing power.

kcnelson (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2021, 05:37:13 AM

I'll create a thread with pics amd my reasoning once I have things balanced.
menoiazei

Activity: 368
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 15, 2022, 03:35:02 PM

What type of immersion cooling you using bro??

waiting for one to be delivered to me from dcx and my plan is to use it with S17+s so any inside for that welcomed

Cause is not before and effect is not after
sotpap

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 08:43:00 AM

Great work,looking forward for your news i am in the process of immersion and so far just received the coolant from dcx.I had to send my 3 boards of s17+ for repair so i have now time to see what to do with those loud fans of the PSU.I also have seen that they are 2 wire.Seeing the repair manual it doesnt say anything for apw9 stopping to work without fans here https://www.zeusbtc.com/manuals/Antminer-APW9-plus-power-supply-repair-guide.asp

I am thinking if i dont do the immersion cooling project to put 3X120 quiter fans on side and print a hose to throw the air from the 3 holes of the small 4` fans to make it more silent.i am on 3 just to replace and hook them so in case something is checking the power draw in pins
thierry4wd

Activity: 446
Merit: 347

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2022, 04:36:23 PM

i already try lot of mods for this psu .... i confirm, this PSU don't check fans, just if you unplug all (3) fans, the psu start without any problem !

this psu is just on temperature control for safe place ... on immersion, no problem !

Grin

kcnelson (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2022, 01:38:26 PM

Many thanks for the confirmations.
Nomadix

Activity: 12
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 31, 2022, 08:21:16 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Running s19 and s19 pro all fans removed asics and psu using only spoofers on the asics and not psu, no issues so far other than some faulty spoofers, reconfirmed with friend he has s17's identical setup as me all fans off as well.
flameit

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2022, 11:37:59 AM

I plan to build out immersion system for an Antminer S17+, how do we deal with the fans inside the PSU?

This is a question about the three small fans inside the PSU housing, which are two wire.

It sounds like the PSU must recognize that the fans are consuming voltage for the PSU to power on properly.

Any experience is greatly appreciated.

Hey, we are FlameIT - Liquid Immersion Cooling company based in Poland.

You can check our web page for information about our liquid/pumps.

https://flameit.io Liquid Immersion Cooling solution/ cooling for crypto miners/server - there are links to our socials, You can check on FB/Instagram what we are doing (but those are not all of our products).

IF you still have problems with PSU You can contact me directly via WhatsApp. I will try to help.

BR, Paweł.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: