Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:43:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on a cell phone  (Read 15994 times)
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 05:02:53 AM

So I recently purchased a smart phone.  Should I be tapping into it's single core processor to get some more coins?  I'm sure it's not very cost effective, but just out of curiousity, has anyone tried this?

Is there anyone who has used a cell phone to mine one of the cpu mining chains?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:35:28 AM

So I recently purchased a smart phone.  Should I be tapping into it's single core processor to get some more coins?  I'm sure it's not very cost effective, but just out of curiousity, has anyone tried this?

If the coin can be mined using a graphics card, then mining on any regular processor is going to be a waste of money.
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 05:36:46 AM

If the coin can be mined using a graphics card, then mining on any regular processor is going to be a waste of money.

Agreed, so I'm talking about Litecoins, Tenebrix, or Fairbrix.

I believe Solidcoin now has some way of going through a GPU.

Fold for spending BTCs

Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:37:36 AM

You would have to write a custom miner to do it, I think. Unless it runs java, in which case you could try pooler's online one. I don't think it would be worth it though -- from my experience phone heatsinks leave something to be desired, not to mention it would kill your battery. To top it all off, those little ARMs don't have all that much muscle.

But if you try it, please post results =)
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 05:41:09 AM

You would have to write a custom miner to do it, I think. Unless it runs java, in which case you could try pooler's online one. I don't think it would be worth it though -- from my experience phone heatsinks leave something to be desired, not to mention it would kill your battery. To top it all off, those little ARMs don't have all that much muscle.

But if you try it, please post results =)

Gotcha, it seems like Java doesn't exist on android phones. 

I agree that it would kill the battery, but if I had a charger at work, in the car and at home, I'm not too concerned about that. 

My phone's only a single core processor though, which is more my concern.

Pooler's online miner doesn't work on my phone, I already tried that and posted in that forum.  Smiley

Fold for spending BTCs

Vanderbleek

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:59:23 AM

Once pooler releases the source, assuming your smartphone is android, it shouldn't be TOO difficult to port it into an android app (android is coded in Java, primarily). By kill the battery I didn't mean drain it, but wear it out -- IIRC that's why you're supposed to remove the battery from you laptop when plugged in and at 100%.
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 06:27:17 AM

Once pooler releases the source, assuming your smartphone is android, it shouldn't be TOO difficult to port it into an android app (android is coded in Java, primarily). By kill the battery I didn't mean drain it, but wear it out -- IIRC that's why you're supposed to remove the battery from you laptop when plugged in and at 100%.

We need a Dalvik miner. Seriously.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 06:32:37 AM

Or a native C miner and call it using the Android NDK.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 01:25:38 PM

Or a native C miner and call it using the Android NDK.
Last I checked, we had one.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

can't android just run binary compiled for armel architecture?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 08:59:52 PM

I would be curious to know if we could mine LTC on a Raspberry PI. http://www.raspberrypi.org/ It's only $25 and really low power. And runs linux. :-)

more or less retired.
Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 09:20:20 PM

I would be curious to know if we could mine LTC on a Raspberry PI. http://www.raspberrypi.org/ It's only $25 and really low power. And runs linux. :-)

It would be interesting to know how many k/hashes that device could do.

Bitcoin is the future !
pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:32:03 PM

Sadly the $25 model has no Ethernet controller... but it has a HD GPU Cool

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 09:41:21 PM

If I had to guess, you'd earn approximately $0.01 USD worth of litecoin per year, as well as wear out your battery and processor a lot faster than with normal use.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE

Activity: 438
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:45:07 PM

I would be curious to know if we could mine LTC on a Raspberry PI. It's only $25 and really low power. And runs linux. :-)

It would be interesting to know how many k/hashes that device could do.

FWIW, there is a single line in the Mining Hardware Comparison mentioning a single core ARM processor. At current rates, a fraction of a megahash per second will take a long time to add up to much. The ARM architecture went for energy efficiency vs. raw speed a long time ago, it's a different animal for a different purpose.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Model     Mhash/s    Mhash/J    Mhash/s/$    ACP [W]    Clock    Version    Comment
ARM        0.187    ?    ?    ?    1200 MHz    cpuminer    Seagate Dockstar ArchLinux

A mining effort that could utilize such small devices as cell phones might avoid the seemingly entropic decay of the return on mining as mining computing power has increased. Weighting the return based on the computing power of the source, such as is done with some projects using the BOINC distributed computing client, would make the game much more interesting.

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 03:27:15 AM

Gotcha, the megadrain on the processor hurts the ultimate battery life?  I'll remember that if I'm using a laptop.  Thanks!

Fold for spending BTCs

Vanderbleek

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 03:53:45 AM

Gotcha, the megadrain on the processor hurts the ultimate battery life?  I'll remember that if I'm using a laptop.  Thanks!

I think it more has to do with the fact that the battery is discharging/recharging at the same time. There may be newer designs that fix this -- it's just a habit I've gotten into. The heat produced by the processor is also not good for battery chemistries.

Activity: 438
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:17:31 AM

I think it more has to do with the fact that the battery is discharging/recharging at the same time. There may be newer designs that fix this -- it's just a habit I've gotten into. The heat produced by the processor is also not good for battery chemistries.

"Wearing out" due to being kept at full charge constantly and not being discharged thoroughly will cause the older nickel-cadmium cells to no longer release their full charge, hence the advice to avoid leaving them charging all the time makes sense. Full discharges followed by a charge to capacity are good for such batteries.

The lithium ion batteries common in cell phones, cameras, and laptops ( the 18650 cell is most common in laptop batteries ) have rated lifetimes in terms of the number of charge/discharge cycles and actually benefit from fewer "deep" discharge cycles. Leaving them on charge with an intelligent charger ( as most are ) shouldn't be an issue if heating is not a problem.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 09:00:57 AM

The lithium ion batteries common in cell phones, cameras, and laptops ( the 18650 cell is most common in laptop batteries ) have rated lifetimes in terms of the number of charge/discharge cycles and actually benefit from fewer "deep" discharge cycles. Leaving them on charge with an intelligent charger ( as most are ) shouldn't be an issue if heating is not a problem.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Yep, I live in a hot climate and I keep my laptop's (li-ion) battery in the fridge most of the time.

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:25:42 PM

Android includes most of the standard Java classes in its SDK, so all you need to do is port the litecoinpool source to an app and run it.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: