Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:30:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin wallet.dat, transaction fees and exchange  (Read 247 times)
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 09:01:49 AM

I don't know how it'll all work in taxes.
Since you said you are in the US, then this page will help you out: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-on-virtual-currency-transactions

First see question 31. You owe no tax at the moment since the bitcoin your received was a gift. However, you'll want to work out what your uncle's cost basis is, otherwise your cost basis will be zero meaning you will pay capital gains tax on the full amount you sell it for, rather than just the gains. I am not a tax expert though, so I have no idea how this works given that your uncle is not a US resident.

I'm planning to move to Ethereum (which at this time seems more stable).
It's a crazy idea to sell all your bitcoin for a centralized altcoin, but note that this would be a taxable event. See question 16 on the link above.

Laptop is on Windows 10; very old laptop that I don't use for anything else except to run Bitcoin Core.
I agree with Loyce. Since you don't use the computer for anything else, why not just format it and install Linux on it. If you are have zero experience with Linux but are used to Windows, then Linux Mint is a very easy first step while still being significantly more secure and more private than Windows.
fayk2022 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 18, 2022, 11:59:28 PM

@o_e_l_e_o:
I'll probably get with an accountant when I sell because I don't know how it'll all work.
Spoke to my uncle over the holidays, and he said, he sold one of his very small piece of land that he bought long time ago when he first moved to Australia, to a friend's friend. Btc was part of the agreed  payment type besides some cash. His friend helped him split the btc to different wallets which he had been giving away to his kids, nieces and nephews.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587

View Profile
January 19, 2022, 08:42:13 AM

I'll probably get with an accountant when I sell because I don't know how it'll all work.
Wise. If you are planning to sell or trade via a KYCed exchange, then the IRS will be passed your details and come knocking eventually. Good idea to make sure you are in order before that happens.

Btc was part of the agreed  payment type besides some cash.
So, whatever the price of bitcoin was when your Uncle received it in exchange for his land will be your cost basis. So if it was $50k when he received it, and you later sell at $60k, then you only owe tax on the $10k gains, rather than the full $60k. As I said above though, I don't know if this process is complicated by the fact your Uncle is not a US resident.
fayk2022 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 20, 2022, 07:18:17 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2022, 09:19:50 PM by fayk2022

@hd49728:
How do you use https://mempool.space ?
I put in a random btc address that I found online (Laptop is at home) and it shows 25 of 111 transactions.

So when I go to https://bitcoindata.science/plot-your-transaction-in-mempool.html, is the 25 or the 111 the input? And if I just send to an exchange, is that considered 1 output? I like this website ... it calculates the Transaction fees for me, pending the input / output question.

Also, https://withdrawalfees.com/coins/bitcoin is missing coinbase? Isn't coinbase not one of the exchanges? Else, that is a very helpful site. I like it! Thank you so much.

Thank you all.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: