Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:43:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: burnt PSU out cable and Hashboard connectors  (Read 101 times)
sagars209 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 6

View Profile
December 07, 2021, 11:34:13 AM
Merited by o_solo_miner (2)

was getting smoky smell from my S9i, switched it off and checked it closely and spotted the PSU connector was melting... though it was mainly 1 connect that was melting, i am unable to remove most they are not coming out.. anyone faced this type of issue?

https://imgur.com/a/pCKnLXt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6235

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2021, 12:00:14 PM
Merited by mikeywith (2)

Sadly yes, it's quite common. A bit of bad contacts on one of the pins, so more power is pushed through others, which put them over limit, which cause them all to short / burn.
If you do not have the skills & tools & parts most better electronic repair places can replace the PCIe sockets.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sagars209 (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2021, 01:16:16 PM

thanks a lot that helps.. i have been moving the s9 from 1 place to another in my apprtment until if figure out a fix place and i guess one of the days i had the window open and it was quite windy i am wondering if the force of the wind might have moved the connectors .. i have now sent it for repair
sagars209 (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 07:28:59 AM

One more followup on this issue, I am using a PSU which is 2300 watts but S9i consumes only 1320 watts, will that be a problem?  do i need to change the psu with a smaller one?
o_solo_miner
Legendary

Activity: 2440
Merit: 1474

-> morgen, ist heute, schon gestern <-

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 09:44:40 AM
Merited by mikeywith (2)

That is not a problem, if you use a less powerfull psu , that would not be good.
Please check also your data cable on the hashboards, some time the ground wires get burnt there also.
This is caused by a high resistant ground connector (Black wire) and the power then run through the data cable.
I had 2 hashboards where the trace for the data cable where burnt and open.

from the creator of CGMiner http://solo.ckpool.org for Solominers
paused: passthrough for solo.ckpool.org => stratum+tcp://rfpool.org:3334
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2942

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2021, 04:20:04 PM

One more followup on this issue, I am using a PSU which is 2300 watts but S9i consumes only 1320 watts, will that be a problem?  do i need to change the psu with a smaller one?

Your PSU is fine as the above said sometimes it happens if the PSU male connector is not connected properly or bad connection between the PSU and hashboard.

It might be also because of the rust and corrosion cleaning the terminal both male and female connectors shouldn't experience this issue.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 09:51:05 PM
Merited by mikeywith (2)

Something to keep in mind - do NOT plug/unplug PCIe connectors a lot! Even the best available are only rated for 25 mating cycles. After that the silver and/or gold plating is worn off and at that point they are more on-par with the el-cheapo connectors BM uses. Maybe the PSU has better connectors but don't bet on it. In any case, when moving miners around, try to keep the PSU connected to it. If any PCIe connector has been plugged/unplugged more than a few times you need to keep an eye on them, any white ones that start showing brown areas must be replaced immediately!

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6359

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
December 19, 2021, 11:59:26 PM

it was quite windy i am wondering if the force of the wind might have moved the connectors .. i have now sent it for repair

No chance in heaven that any wind will be strong enough to move those connectors if they are tightly plugged in, a strong wind might be able to move the whole miner a few meters and still won't move those connectors, I still remember unplugging about 50 miners straight and my fingers kept hurting for a few days, those connectors are pretty tight unless they go through a dozen plug/unplug attempts which makes them loose.

One more followup on this issue, I am using a PSU which is 2300 watts but S9i consumes only 1320 watts, will that be a problem?  do i need to change the psu with a smaller one?

I tend to believe that your PSU is of bad quality and it was the reason why the pins were burnt, I have tested over 5 different brands of Chinese PSUs, the only "ok" brand was Lianli although I would still rate it at 6 over 10, get the original bitmain PSU as it's rock-solid, if not, then get an EVGA or one of the good PC brands PSUs, avoid the cheap Chinese PSUs at all cost.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████