Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:04:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running s19 with one board removed  (Read 201 times)
elokk (OP)

Activity: 723
Merit: 519

View Profile
December 13, 2021, 03:05:43 PM

Curious if anyone has tried running an s19j with one board physically removed? I know historically this has been said to cause cooling issues with older gen models however I have successfully done it during winter months with no issues.

Thoughts? Experiences?

t.me/bitcoinasic

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bude Stacks

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 22, 2022, 01:56:43 AM

I am researching this topic.

Can you share more about your experience doing it?

What was the power draw?  Efficiency about the same as running the full unit?

Would love to find a way to control just a single s19 hashboard with my Apllo controller.
thierry4wd

Activity: 446
Merit: 347

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2022, 11:02:00 PM
Merited by NotFuzzyWarm (1)

Running with missing one hashboard, is not good idea if you don't have very good anbient temp ... with only two, the pressure of fan is droping, so, drop cooling efficiency ...

this reflextion is available for ALL miners

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 22, 2022, 11:12:02 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2022, 03:39:33 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Running with missing one hashboard, is not good idea if you don't have very good ambient temp ... with only two, the pressure of fan is dropping, so, drop cooling efficiency ...

this reflection is available for ALL miners
Spot on and merit given for that. Just like any fluid, (yes, for flow modeling air is considered a fluid) air flows through the path of least resistance so putting a large gap in the system means most of the air is going to flow through the gap and that drastically reduces airflow over and through the heatsinks.

There is also an easy kludge to get around that problem: In place of the removed hash board, put a sheet of fireproof rigid fiberglass with the same dimensions as the board into where it was. That should re-balance the airflow over the heatsinks on the boards still in the miner.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2022, 11:12:19 PM

Would love to find a way to control just a single s19 hashboard with my Apllo controller.

Are you talking about the controller from Futurebit Apollo controller?

I think each s19 hashboard can draw around 900w to 1100w and efficiency depends on how you overclock or underclock the unit. I don't know to those who make modified firmware how they succeed in modifying firmware with a high hash rate and efficiency.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 22, 2022, 11:19:51 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2022, 02:22:58 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Are you talking about the controller from Futurebit Apollo controller?

I think each s19 hashboard can draw around 900w to 1100w and efficiency depends on how you overclock or underclock the unit. I don't know to those who make modified firmware how they succeed in modifying firmware with a high hash rate and efficiency.
Got a driver the the ASIC used in a s19? I doubt it...
There there is the issue of the Apollo miner code being closed source so even if you did write a driver for the chip ya still cannot edit the Apollo code to use it. Sad

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
honeyminingcheng

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2022, 12:18:30 PM

Curious if anyone has tried running an s19j with one board physically removed? I know historically this has been said to cause cooling issues with older gen models however I have successfully done it during winter months with no issues.

Thoughts? Experiences?

There are about 800 s19 110t in my mine, and some of them only have two hashboards working due to maintenance reasons. They have been running normally for two months without any issues.
elokk (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2022, 10:01:54 PM

Thoughts? Experiences?

There are about 800 s19 110t in my mine, and some of them only have two hashboards working due to maintenance reasons. They have been running normally for two months without any issues.

Thank you for the only useful reply. Talked to some other people on the issue and they said the same

t.me/bitcoinasic
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6371

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
March 16, 2022, 12:47:42 AM

Thank you for the only useful reply. Talked to some other people on the issue and they said the same

All that these fine gentlemen said is true, it's simple physics which nobody can argue about, but (a big one) the effect of removing one hash board isn't exactly that huge, the impact on temps isn't all that bad, the two boards will run cooler if a 3rd dead hashboard is there (better airflow + the heatsinks on the head board will absorb some of the heat from the other working hash boards), but the two boards will still run cool enough regardless, they do get less airflow compared to a full miner, but the heat that was generated by the 3rd board is no longer there which helps to balance things out.

I tried that on tens of S9s, the effect on temps is little to nothing, nothing major that had me modify anything, so really, the only way to know would be to test your miner, do a before and after test, I highly doubt the temps will vary widely, but just to be safe.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elokk (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2022, 08:22:47 PM

All that these fine gentlemen said is true, it's simple physics which nobody can argue about, but (a big one) the effect of removing one hash board isn't exactly that huge, the impact on temps isn't all that bad, the two boards will run cooler if a 3rd dead hashboard is there (better airflow + the heatsinks on the head board will absorb some of the heat from the other working hash boards), but the two boards will still run cool enough regardless, they do get less airflow compared to a full miner, but the heat that was generated by the 3rd board is no longer there which helps to balance things out.

I tried that on tens of S9s, the effect on temps is little to nothing, nothing major that had me modify anything, so really, the only way to know would be to test your miner, do a before and after test, I highly doubt the temps will vary widely, but just to be safe.

No shit captain obvious, thanks for repeating the same shit as everyone else and not addressing my original question of a single board specifically removed from an s19j. Locking topic so you reply guys can get your post count up on different threads

t.me/bitcoinasic
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: