Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:01:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Synchronzing (Funds Lost???)  (Read 1847 times)
dolphin001 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:51:38 PM

Greetings all,

Recently I was supposted to get my first EVER incoming (receiving) transaction into bitcoin. The transaction was supposted to be done in minimum few minutes and maximum approximately 1 hour. Now it has passed almost entire day and no funds have ever arrived. Balance still zero. I did some google research to find solution on my own and I think I found it but it doesn't solve the problem. Solution says that I need to first synchronize the blocks. I have no idea what are ''blocks'' and honestly I am so worried about my funds that I don't even want to know definition of ''blocks''. However the problem is that synchonizing needs GIANT amount of hard drive space and im running low with hard drive size (please avoid suggesting me to buy new one). Second problem is that this procedure has been processing for the past 10 hours and still not finished. It doesn't look like it will be finished any time soon. Due to this it seems like I will need to pay electricity bill more than the actual amount of incoming funds/btc is. Im very worried I lost my money because it wasn't synchronized. Question: Would it be possible and if yes how, that I synchronize only my transaction (transfer towards me) so the balance would be updated as fast as possible? Its really taking very long. I see no reason why would I need to download entire list of transactions from millions of bitcoin users around the world. I just want my so balance could be updated. How could I do this? Procedure of sync is a way too long.. No much progress at all and I don't know where my money is.. It should be in btc ewallet long time ago...Please what to do??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
irrational

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:57:21 PM

As long as the address you had funds sent to was correct, you should be good.

The Bitcoin Core can take a very long time to get synced for the first time. But, this is independent of your ability to receive funds. They should be waiting for once the sync finishes.

To verify, visit https://blockchain.info and type in your Bitcoin address. It should display the amount and verify that your money is waiting on you.
redwhite037

Activity: 560
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:50:57 AM

I believe the current blockchain is around 15GB, and to fully synchronize, your wallet will need to download the entire blockchain. So, yes, this will take a long time. When I first synced with the litecoin blockchain, it took about 24 hours, and it was only about 3 or 4 GB of data. Your transaction should eventually come through as your wallet continues syncing.
dolphin001 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:07:16 AM

Thank you for reply. On blockchain website I see the transaction in correct amount but it hasn't arrived to my ewallet yet so the reason is for sure incomplete synchronizing. However the following three questions still occur:

1. Is there a way i could synchonize for only my transaction or at least transactions that happened close to my, including my? I really don't see any reason why would I want to have saved entire history of everyone's btc usage.

2. Im planning to buy new computer soon and I would have to go through this procedure once again but is there any way to avoid it along known one - copy blocks files (from Application Data folder) from old to new computer?

3. Once synchonizing is complete, can I permanently delete any of those blocks files from first time synchronizing? Obviously up to date software data should remain after removal also but it might get outdated if I remove those block files. The reason for removing is mainly hard drive size - it really takes a lot of GBs. If the answer is ''yes'' then: how do I figure out which files can I delete so I wouldn't delete the one which contains also my transaction otherwise balance would go back to ''unknown'' (zero) one.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:06:27 PM

I believe the current blockchain is around 15GB,

It is currently closer to 20 GB, and growing every 10 minutes.

1. Is there a way i could synchonize for only my transaction or at least transactions that happened close to my, including my?

Not with the Bitcoin Core wallet.  If you didn't want to operate as a full node, you should have used one of the "light" wallet options such as:
  • MultiBit
  • Electrum
  • blockchain.info/wallet

I really don't see any reason why would I want to have saved entire history of everyone's btc usage.

Because Bitcoin Core is a full node on the bitcoin network.  It verifies that every transaction and block properly follows the protocol, and relays those transactions and blocks to the other nodes on the network.

If you no longer want to operate as a full node, you can export the private key for your address from your wallet and import it into one of the "light" wallets listed above.  blockchain.info even provides a method to create a wallet with their service by importing the entire wallet.dat file directly from Bitcoin Core.

2. Im planning to buy new computer soon and I would have to go through this procedure once again but is there any way to avoid it along known one - copy blocks files (from Application Data folder) from old to new computer?

Yes, if you copy the entire contents from the bitcoin data directory to the same directory on the new computer, then you can avoid needing to synchronize the entire blockchain again.

3. Once synchonizing is complete, can I permanently delete any of those blocks files from first time synchronizing?

No.  If you do this, then Bitcoin Core will have to re-synchronize all the blocks again.
dolphin001 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:08:29 PM

• Electrum

Are you saying if using Electrum desktop software, which I expect to be available/online (for usage, not only to download) all the time 24/7, I wouldn't need to synchronize the blocks all the time? How it would capture the transactions then? You said I could try to switch from bitcoin-qt to Electrum (i chose it from your 3 suggestions). Now, since funds have been sent to ewallet (still not received), it is probably too late to try Electrum. I doubt I would have same ewallet id and due to obvious reasons I cannot define one.  So since funds have been already sent by me to my ewallet id, those funds would never arrive to Electrum because of different ewallet id and could be some other reason too. Im aware you told me I can export/import but im not so sure importing to Electrum ewallet.dat would enable me owning exactly the same ewallet ID. Im afraid doing this could lose my btc amount that hasn't arrived yet but the good thing is that I believe even if trying exporting/importing, IF something goes wrong, I could basically just resume with synchronization in bitcoin-qt.

It has passed almost 40 hours since I started synchronization procedure and so far very tiny progress. Im sure electricity utility bill will cost me more than the actual amount of btc arrived. The updating of blocks isn't going anywhere, almost frozen.

In bitcoin-qt isn't even exporting option but ewallet.dat can be easily accessed via Documents and Settings\User\Application data

However on the following link:

https://electrum.org/

I don't see Import option anywhere. How come? Plus according to their website i just provided, transactions aren't irreversibile (no refunds/chargebacks) anymore. See image on that website.

Also are there any other disadvantages in electrum?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:56:07 PM

• Electrum

Are you saying if using Electrum desktop software, which I expect to be available/online (for usage, not only to download) all the time 24/7, I wouldn't need to synchronize the blocks all the time?

Correct.

How it would capture the transactions then?

The last I heard, Electrum uses a client/server model.  The server stores the complete blockchain for you.  Your Electrum client communicates with the server. 

You said I could try to switch from bitcoin-qt to Electrum (i chose it from your 3 suggestions). Now, since funds have been sent to ewallet (still not received),

ewallet?  I'm not familliar with ewallet.  I had assumed you were running Bitcoin Core.  I assume that ewallet (whatever that is) provides you with the ability to export your private keys?

it is probably too late to try Electrum. I doubt I would have same ewallet id and due to obvious reasons I cannot define one.

If ewallet allows you to export your private keys, then you can import that private key into Electrum.  However, you'll lose the Electrum advantage of rebuilding your entire wallet from a seed if you do that.

Instead, what I would do is temporarily create a wallet at blockchain.info, and import the private key there.  Then install Electrum on your computer.  Then use blockchain.info to send the bitcoin funds to one of the bitcoins addresses from your Electrum wallet.  Then simply abandon the blockchain.info wallet.

So since funds have been already sent by me to my ewallet id, those funds would never arrive to Electrum because of different ewallet id and could be some other reason too.

See my notes above.

Im aware you told me I can export/import but im not so sure importing to Electrum ewallet.dat would enable me owning exactly the same ewallet ID.

I am sure.  As long as you export and import the correct private key, you will have access to the funds at the same bitcoin address.

Im afraid doing this could lose my btc amount that hasn't arrived yet

As long as you are careful and keep a good copy of your current wallet file from your current wallet, you should be fine.  If you damage or lose the current wallet file, then you'll have a problem.

but the good thing is that I believe even if trying exporting/importing, IF something goes wrong, I could basically just resume with synchronization in bitcoin-qt.

First you say ewallet, now you say bitcoin-qt.  Perhaps we should start by figuring out what wallet you are using right now and where you got it from?  If you are using Bitcoin-Qt or Bitcoin Core, then you can definitely get your private key and import it into another wallet.  Doing so will give you immediate access to the bitcoins that were sent to the address.

It has passed almost 40 hours since I started synchronization procedure and so far very tiny progress. Im sure electricity utility bill will cost me more than the actual amount of btc arrived. The updating of blocks isn't going anywhere, almost frozen.

Bitcoin really isn't very good for sending extremely small value.

If we assume that your current computer uses about 60 watts of electricity, and it has been running for 40 hours, then you've used about 2.4 kWh of power.  If your electric provider charges you about $0.11 per kWh, then You've probably used about $0.26 worth of electricity.  If you have done nothing else with your computer during this time, then you can perhaps attribute the entire $0.26 to bitcoin usage.  If you have done anything else with your computer (such as participating in discussion here at bitcointalk.org), then you'll have to figure out what percentage of the power went specifically to bitcoin blockchain synchronization, and what percentage would have been used by you anyhow even if you weren't synchronizing the blockchain.

In bitcoin-qt isn't even exporting option but ewallet.dat can be easily accessed via Documents and Settings\User\Application data

Bitcoin-Qt should have a file called "wallet.dat", it should not have "ewallet.dat".  Where did you get your Bitcoin-Qt?  Are you sure you got it from somewhere reliable?

To access the private key in Bitcoin-Qt, you use the "Console", found in the "Debug Window" under the "Help" menu.

Enter:
Code:
dumpprivkey 1yourBitcoinAddressGoesHere

Replacing 1yourBitcoinAddressGoesHere with your actual bitcoin address.

However on the following link:

https://electrum.org/

I don't see Import option anywhere.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum#Export_and_import_addresses

How come?

Because the Electrum website is not very helpful.

Plus according to their website i just provided, transactions aren't irreversibile (no refunds/chargebacks) anymore. See image on that website.

I looked at the image.  I don't see anything that says that transactions aren't irreversible. Where does it say that?

Also are there any other disadvantages in electrum?

I'm not an expert with Electrum.  Many people like it.  Others prefer some of the other wallets.  There are entire sub-forums here at bitcointalk.org to discuss each of the various alternative wallets.  I suggest you have some conversations in those sub-forums with users of each wallet to determine what they do and don't like about the wallet they've chosen.

dolphin001 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:38:43 PM

ewallet?  I'm not familliar with ewallet

I was referring to bitcoin-qt desktop software (.exe). I don't know what does ''Core'' mean and don't want to know. Also im not familiar with term ''private keys'' - never heard what this is. I only know ewallet.dat. But if private key is bitcoin wallet (ewallet) id then all cool.

First you say ewallet, now you say bitcoin-qt

ewallet = bitcoin-qt.exe (desktop application). Its the same. I have -qt. The term ''ewallet'' can be defined as web application or as desktop application.

Where did you get your Bitcoin-Qt

I downloaded it but don't remember exact url link. It looks similar to this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/fgvbd.jpg

except nothing under Recent Transaction. Zero balance, even if i withdrawed almost two days ago. It should come in minutes, nothing came but thats because of sync.

I don't see anything that says that transactions aren't irreversible. Where does it say that?

On the link i provided in previous post says ''chargeback''. You can see it there.

Also i posted the new question here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=539818.new#new

but noone replied  Sad

After running sync for over 47 hours, still no signs that it would ever come to an end. However the good thing is that in Task Manager near bitcoin-qt which is being runned does *NOT* say it isn't responding (=frozen) so there must be something what is being done. However I have deleted many files, even important one, for sync procedure. I have nothing left to delete on purpose to free up the space for sync.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:57:14 PM

ewallet?  I'm not familliar with ewallet
I was referring to bitcoin-qt desktop software (.exe).

Ah, ok.  I've never heard it called ewallet before.

I don't know what does ''Core'' mean and don't want to know.

When version 0.9.0 of Bitcoin-Qt was released it was renamed to Bitcoin Core.

Also im not familiar with term ''private keys'' - never heard what this is. I only know ewallet.dat. But if private key is bitcoin wallet (ewallet) id then all cool.

Private keys are why bitcoin is secure and trustworthy.  Bitcoins cannot be spent without the private keys.  Anyone who has access to the private keys can access to the bitcoins.  In the Bitcoin-Qt wallet, the private keys are stored in the wallet.dat file.

First you say ewallet, now you say bitcoin-qt
ewallet = bitcoin-qt.exe (desktop application). Its the same. I have -qt. The term ''ewallet'' can be defined as web application or as desktop application.

I've never heard it called ewallet before.

Where did you get your Bitcoin-Qt
I downloaded it but don't remember exact url link. It looks similar to this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/fgvbd.jpg

except nothing under Recent Transaction. Zero balance, even if i withdrawed almost two days ago. It should come in minutes, nothing came but thats because of sync.

Hopefully you got it from a reliable and trustworthy source.

I don't see anything that says that transactions aren't irreversible. Where does it say that?

On the link i provided in previous post says ''chargeback''. You can see it there.

That is not an actual "chargeback", that is a label that someone put on a transaction they created when they sent a transaction to someone.

Also i posted the new question here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=539818.new#new

but noone replied  Sad

Probably because most of your questions don't even make any sense.  Perhaps you should take some time to learn a bit about how bitcoin works.
dolphin001 (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:08:03 AM

Are those files that arrive to computer's hard drive from sync procedure 100% identical for every single worldwide bitcoin user who uses desktop application -qt with no matter on its version? Or do those sync files have microscopically small differences, e.g. the ones from X user on Y computer comparing to the ones from A user on Z computer?
Im asking this because I got the following idea. If they are 100% identical, so exactly the same files from sync arriving on hard drive, then they should be available somewhere else online too where downloading speed is much higher, e.g. rapidshare website. I could download from there into appropriate folder. I have seem some topic about this here:

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/20493/faster-way-to-sync-my-new-bitcoin-wallet

But obviously i would expect trustworthy, safe and offical location where could be downloaded from. Im Not going to download those from torrents website.. It could be virus/warm/malware, it could be stealer, it could be keylogger of any kind (related or not to bitcoin), it could even be some legitimate safe file but for different purpose, etc.
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 08:20:53 AM

You are learning quickly.  There is a torrent where you can download the files because they are all the same. Don't have link for it now but you should be able to find it.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
dolphin001 (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:17:44 PM

I am currently on 38 weeks behind. I only have 512 dram, very slow pc and it is taking everything for this synchonization. Also cannot leave pc 24/7 runned anymore. Torrents and other potentially suspicious website are NOT an option so Could anyone please upload remaining blocks files on some fast server such as rapidshare.com?
sitecoin

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:44:05 AM

I believe the current blockchain is around 15GB, and to fully synchronize, your wallet will need to download the entire blockchain. So, yes, this will take a long time. When I first synced with the litecoin blockchain, it took about 24 hours, and it was only about 3 or 4 GB of data. Your transaction should eventually come through as your wallet continues syncing.

It is like this, no wonder I how not synchronous.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: