Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:07:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Specific Address Wallet?  (Read 875 times)
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:14:27 AM

Was hoping to get an answer from the technically minded on here.

Is it possible to create a wallet, or address, that can only send btc to specific, nominated addresses?

I thought this may be possible by using a smart contract and would like to hear if it is possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:16:36 AM

No.  Sounds like an x-y problem.  What is the "X"?  What are you trying to accomplish?
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:24:30 AM

I'm pretty sure currently that something like that isn't supported by Bitcoin itself. However, you could probably implement something like that using a Blockchain wallet and its API.
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:43:12 AM

No.  Sounds like an x-y problem.  What is the "X"?  What are you trying to accomplish?

For example, a magazine subscription.

I set up an address with 1 btc in it. I use this specific address to pay for the magazine subscription. In order to make it secure, I nominate that my address can only send to the magazines nominated address and possibly another of my own addresses (in order for me to transfer funds out if I discontinue buying the magazine).
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:00:05 AM

I set up an address with 1 btc in it. I use this specific address to pay for the magazine subscription. In order to make it secure, I nominate that my address can only send to the magazines nominated address and possibly another of my own addresses (in order for me to transfer funds out if I discontinue buying the magazine).
What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? If you can move money to your own address at any time, how is that different from just having the money in your own address in the first place? And if you can't move money to your own address, why not just give all the money to the magazine and ask for a pro-rated refund if you change your mind?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:40:30 PM

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? If you can move money to your own address at any time, how is that different from just having the money in your own address in the first place? And if you can't move money to your own address, why not just give all the money to the magazine and ask for a pro-rated refund if you change your mind?

Or the magazine can send out a monthly invoice to their customers and only mail the magazine to those who have made payment by the mailing date.
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:11:15 PM

If my wallet is compromised then funds at that specific address cannot be moved away from my control.

And, I hope it would be easier than giving a service all my bitcoin and then having to ask for a refund if I want to change or discontinue my service. I have had issues in the past with subscription services charging beyond time or overcharging after subscription has been changed.

I suppose it might be a way to compartmentalise my funds.

Thanks for the replies, I had no idea whether this was useful or necessary but I didnt have the tech know how to flesh it out.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:53:43 AM

If my wallet is compromised then funds at that specific address cannot be moved away from my control.
Except they can. If you can move the funds to your own address, so can whoever compromised your wallet. And because they've compromised the wallet, they can then move the funds from your address to their own.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:24:46 AM

Except they can. If you can move the funds to your own address, so can whoever compromised your wallet. And because they've compromised the wallet, they can then move the funds from your address to their own.

Fair enough. But if I have separate wallets, lets say a hot wallet and a cold wallet, if my 'back up' address is my cold wallet, then I'm supposing that it wouldnt be under threat? (ie if a hot address could only send to a cold address and 1 other address.)

I am thinking that any kind of recurring payment for services will more than likely be kept 'hot'.
ning

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:45:30 AM

I think OP's requirement boils down to keeping one's private keys safe.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:21:20 AM

Just sign your transaction offline.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:46:39 AM

There is one thing that you can do. You can have an address to which you send multiple transactions of the exact amount needed for your monthly subscription. Then you create two transactions for each of those inputs. One transaction spends the input to the magazine's address and the other transaction spends it to your cold wallet. You sign those transactions and then delete the private key for your address. Now you can only send to the magazine or your cold wallet.
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:51:09 AM

There is one thing that you can do. You can have an address to which you send multiple transactions of the exact amount needed for your monthly subscription. Then you create two transactions for each of those inputs. One transaction spends the input to the magazine's address and the other transaction spends it to your cold wallet. You sign those transactions and then delete the private key for your address. Now you can only send to the magazine or your cold wallet.

This is something worth trying!

Space for rent if its still trending
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: