Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:54:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question regarding Generation Transaction  (Read 85 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 04:35:52 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I'm pretty sure I recall there being a requirement added for a miner (or solo or pool) to put something specific in the input portion of the generation transaction to prevent an issue that came up where two different generation transactions in two different block heights both used the same output script and therefore had identical transaction hashes.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to remember exactly what it is that is supposed to be added to make the transaction unique, and a quick search on Google isn't turning it up.

Am I remembering incorrectly?  Or can someone tell me what it is that's supposed to be added?

PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 04:55:31 PM
Merited by DannyHamilton (10), ABCbits (3)

According to Peter Wuille, as of when BIP 34 was implemented, coinbase transactions must have the block height encoded in the previous script (along with potentially additional arbitrary data, although the additional arbitrary data is not required).
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 05:02:27 PM

According to Peter Wuille, as of when BIP 34 was implemented, coinbase transactions must have the block height encoded in the previous script (along with potentially additional arbitrary data, although the additional arbitrary data is not required).

Block height! That's it.  Thanks.  Slipped my mind, and I just couldn't seem to remember it.  Thanks!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: