Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:50:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Point for Bitcoin! Point for Linux! And point for Ubuntu!!  (Read 13636 times)
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:57:21 PM

I am glad that we have a unix client for Bitcoin. I think that is an important strategic development.

Don't forget MacOS which is unix-based.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlackPrapor

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 01:32:39 PM

Meanwhile, I was sitting on ubuntu 12.04, and had no idea what button to press, which command to write in terminal, and where the hell I could get a guide. I found this thread by accident, somewhere on google, as even bitcointalk search engine failed to show this page, when typed in "bitcoin wallet installation in ubuntu". I just installed ubuntu, and now I understand why it doesn't get adapted widely everywhere. It looks pretty, but you can't do anything with it, unless you happen to know a website, where could be a list of code that you need to execute, just to get something to work. I'm using ubuntu only for security reasons, otherwise I'd avoid it at all costs. Anyway, I'd like to thank the person who wrote this guide, and I'm sending some coins too =). It was really helpful  Cheesy

I agree that a single click .deb for ubuntu would be highly desirable. The fact that there isnt one, isnt ubuntu's fault, its just that no one has made a bitcoin package for ubuntu.

That said, it cant have been that hard to find out how to install from PPA.
If you go to bitcoin.org official website, in the download section click "ubuntu" you go straight to Matt's PPA page. If you dont know how to use a PPA (which is certainly understandable for a new ubuntu user) there is the "read about installing" right in front of you which guides you through the steps.

Is it a bit intimidating? Yeah, at least for someone new to linux, Im sure it is. But its not exactly mission impossible either.

Anyway, Id still like to see a .deb.

I'm sorry, but for me at this stage, clear instructions means a list of commands I can copy/paste, possibly with comments for each line. Not that bogus message on bitcoin.org about PPA.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 01:26:23 PM

That kind of clear instructions are on the "read about installing" message at launchpad... you get full paragraphs to explain each of the two commands needed and even screenshots. What else do you want?

bitcoin.org points you to the PPA page with details and instructions for installing it from the PPA; what's wrong with this?

BlackPrapor

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 07:57:33 AM

That kind of clear instructions are on the "read about installing" message at launchpad... you get full paragraphs to explain each of the two commands needed and even screenshots. What else do you want?

bitcoin.org points you to the PPA page with details and instructions for installing it from the PPA; what's wrong with this?
If you read carefully those instructions on bitcoin.org where it points you to the PPA page, you can find that all it says, is how to enable installation of PPA packages on your system. That's it. Nothing else. Not a word how to install bitcoin wallet. So please, next time you send someone to an address, do read its contents first.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:17:19 AM

If you read carefully those instructions on bitcoin.org where it points you to the PPA page, you can find that all it says, is how to enable installation of PPA packages on your system. That's it. Nothing else. Not a word how to install bitcoin wallet. So please, next time you send someone to an address, do read its contents first.

After you completed the instructions on the PPA site, you can install bitcoin-qt like any other ubuntu program; through the ubuntu software centre. I agree  that "Now you're ready to start installing software from the PPA! " is perhaps a little vague for someone totally new to the concept of repositories or PPAs, but generally those users dont need/use PPAs.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:58:25 PM

i just returned a Windows 8 computer to Best Buy b/c i couldn't install Ubuntu due to the new bootloader Microsoft is employing to block competition.  i hated the new Windows 8 Start page as well. 

personally, i think Msft is doomed.  their stock price is dropping once again and i'm considering shorting them.
jl2035

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 06:23:49 PM

i just returned a Windows 8 computer to Best Buy b/c i couldn't install Ubuntu due to the new bootloader Microsoft is employing to block competition.  i hated the new Windows 8 Start page as well. 

personally, i think Msft is doomed.  their stock price is dropping once again and i'm considering shorting them.
a "new bootloader" to block competition... ugly!!

It's so nice to hear bad news from M$ and yeah... they're doomed! it's worse every day!

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 06:38:13 PM

this does not really look so good:

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:47:03 PM

Roll Eyes

its to bad we cant buy Linux stocks....

oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:34:33 PM

maybe slightly ot, but here is a good article about the impending doom of m/s:
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/14/microsoft-has-failed/

Microsoft has three product lines that underpin everything, Windows, Windows Server, and Windows Mobile. On those, the other moneymakers, Office and Exchange, run exclusively. The apps use protocols that are locked down with dubious methods, and will not run on any competition. The competition is likewise excluded from doing what Microsoft can, either directly like Novell, or by raising the cost to the point of it not being profitable. This is how the wagons are circled, with every iteration, the cost of competing go up, and value of alternatives go up too.

The problem is that if you are locked in with a choice of 100% Microsoft or 0% Microsoft, once someone goes, it isn't a baby step, they are gone. Once you start using Google Docs and the related suites, you have no need for Office. That means you, or likely your company, saves several hundred dollars a head. No need for Office means no need for Exchange. No need for Exchange means no need for Windows Server. No need for Office means no need for Windows. Once the snowball starts rolling, it picks up speed a frightening pace. And that is where we are. The barriers to exit are now even more potent barriers to entry.

Microsoft bought Nokia to both kill off one competitor and to buy their market share. Microsoft at the time had approximately 12% smartphone OS marketshare, Nokia a bit over 30%. With the collaboration, Nokia and Microsoft, together with all the other OS partners selling Windows Phone 7.x, sales are now hovering around 2% of smartphone market share.

Microsoft's mobile aspirations have failed so spectacularly that it is almost impossible to account for. Rather than fix the lock in that excludes the overwhelming majority of the market that does not have a Windows phone, Microsoft doubled down with the new iteration playing the same compatibility games they did before to lock out developers, competitors, and innovators.

The death spiral for Microsoft is in full effect, and management is expending a lot of effort to speed it up. Microsoft is unwilling to change, and that is very clear. Even if they wanted to, they are culturally far beyond the point of being able to. What was a slow bleed of marketshare is now gushing, and management is clueless, intransigent, and myopic. Game over, the thrashing will continue for a bit, but it won't change the outcome. Microsoft has failed.

sad sad...
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 04:59:42 AM

sad sad...

Why (or are you referring to Microsoft's sad efforts to regain glory)? The passing of a warring giant is nothing new. Lessons were learned, progress was made, and we're moving on. Microsoft probably won't disappear, but its dominance isn't likely to ever come back.

Given a choice of combative, competitive, or cooperative businesses to deal with, I prefer the latter.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 06:32:07 AM

a "new bootloader" to block competition... ugly!!

Don't think that's gona last long  Roll Eyes  Wink

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
jl2035

Activity: 146

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 09:28:33 AM

sad sad...
sad for Microsoft, good for you  Smiley

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
chufchuf

Activity: 205

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:04:09 AM

Are any of you getting E: Unable to find a source package for bitcoin

when writing

sudo apt-get build-dep bitcoin

?
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:32:54 AM

Are any of you getting E: Unable to find a source package for bitcoin

when writing

sudo apt-get build-dep bitcoin

?

You can fork from github and build... its not hard on ubuntu.  There are some deps tho so read the readme in the repo.  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt-get

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:13:28 AM

I know this is an old thread but I'm having trouble compiling the core in ubuntu. I followed this walk and got an error on the third command. I also tried to follow the more recent guide here http://bitzuma.com/posts/compile-bitcoin-core-from-source-on-ubuntu/ and ran into problems as well. I usually have a problem when I enter the command ./autogen.sh. If anyone can tell me what I'm missing I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I have all the dev tools necessary and had no problem unpacking the berkely database. Thanks
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: