Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:54:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are S17 Pro's holding up deployed in immersion?  (Read 173 times)
Saskfarmer (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 31, 2021, 04:53:34 PM
Merited by Welsh (6), o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (2), wndsnb (2)

First post here and just wanted to say what a wealth of information here!   I'm a large agricultural farmer in northern SK and have access to a large 3 phase supply at .06 and under from hydro electric and this seems like a good fit.  Up front very little experience when it comes to mining other than internet research.

Immersion makes sense on a couple fronts, we can use the free heat to heat large building's here during the winter months and  at some point is probably going to be ultimately necessary to stay on top of the hash rate race.  Winter heating alone would net 25-30k.  

\Flame suit on.\   So I've got a line on used S17's from China in 50 lots knowing full well that we'll be taking each one apart on arrival and going through each hash board.   A PITA but the cost point is so attractive compared to new gear right now and used gear for immersion would be coming apart and getting cleaned anyways. Got some used S19's on the way too but they're harder to come by.

We'll start filling the tubs with S19XP's when I can get my grubby hands on them but this will get us rolling now.

That said, if there was any machine that looks like immersion would keep it running its the S17's and just wondering if there's other folks on here running that model in immersion and if it's been stable knowing their issues.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
January 02, 2022, 08:21:42 PM
Merited by LoyceV (8), Welsh (6), o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (3), JayJuanGee (1), Falconer (1), Despairo (1)

I don't think you're going to get a meaningful answer here. There aren't many people running immersion, and even if you find one that has run a significant number for a few years there seemed to be big differences in reliability depending on the batch. I had 13 S17 series miners delivered to a host in Canada, and all 13 ran for 2 years without a single issue. I also had 7 S17 series delivered to another host, a few months later, and 3 out of 7 died and required repair.

I would guess that running immersion would help, but your guess is probably as good as anyone else as to how much it might help. I think running at a much more constant temperature would definitely help with issues arising over time. The thermal expansion/contraction could be what accelerates the expression of the issues that are present.

It just comes down to how good of a deal you're getting on them, and if you have a good repair shop lined up. At least right now, you could also probably sell the broken ones on Ebay for nearly what you are buying them for, so that could be an option.

You could also check out this telegram channel, http://t.me/ImmersionCoolingTechnologyTalk

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2022, 08:23:27 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2022, 08:36:23 PM by HagssFIN

I only know after all I've read, that the S17 Pro is the best one from the 17 -generation and it doesn't have such heatsink falling problems etc. as S17 and T17 have.  (edit: never mind, see  further posts below)

It'd be interesting if Bitmain has immersion version of the S17, S19 generations.

I do know that Canaan has an immersion version of the Avalon 1246.
AvalonMiner A1246I: https://canaan.io/product/avalon-immersion-cooling-miner

wndsnb

View Profile
January 02, 2022, 08:32:53 PM

From what I've seen, there's no difference between the S17, S17pro, and T17.

The S17+ and T17+ had much much worse heatsink issues. That could be because that they moved to a different version of the 1397 chip when those came out, the AG version. Before that, all the 17 series had the AD version. Or it could be just from the denser chip placement and smaller heatsinks.

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2022, 08:35:50 PM

Okay I see, then never mind what I said about the S17 Pro

I must say that I myself have never owned a 17 series Antminer.

danieleither

Activity: 202
Merit: 405

View Profile
January 02, 2022, 09:49:49 PM

17-series are hit and miss. They're certainly not ALL bad, but it's fair to say most are. I have S17+, T17+, S17e and S17 Pros. The S17+ are by far the worst 17-series I have, with the S17 Pro's a close second. But on the flip-side I have a batch of 24 x S17e that have been running for almost 2 years and never failed once... Also, out of my T17+ and S19's, the T17+ have been considerably more reliable. What I do know is Bitmain gear isn't great... but generally easier to get hold of and resell than other manufacturers.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
January 05, 2022, 09:33:56 AM

Why not just place the miners in the building you want to heat?

You could also check out this telegram channel, http://t.me/ImmersionCoolingTechnologyTalk

not available anymore

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
itskeule

Activity: 14
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2022, 06:22:46 PM

not available anymore

The channel is up and running - I am currently viewing posts in that group...

https://t.me/ImmersionCoolingTechnologyTalk
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
January 05, 2022, 06:31:02 PM

cant join, seems to be a private group

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
wndsnb

View Profile
January 06, 2022, 11:52:52 AM

Noise and heat in the summer are the 1st two reasons that come to mind. You can also overclock considerably without much additional risk to the miners. Overclocking could pay for the extra cost of the system pretty quickly, and the immersion system won't go obsolete like the miners will. Also consider that if the OP goes the traditional way with standard air cooling, there's still a buildout cost to create a room for the miners and install exterior vents and exhaust fans.

FYI, the cost for a turnkey immersion system for 50 S17s will be in the range of $80K plus installation costs, a bit more if you want to oversize the pumps and dry-coolers to support s19s. I priced out a system a few months ago.

not available anymore

The link still works for me.

Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2022, 05:31:28 PM

Honestly all x17 machines suffer the same issue, so the solution is also the same: Resolder all those heatsinks (before a chip gets damaged). I have also seen some after market heatsink solution that replaces the individual heatsinks with two large ones for each side that screw against each other, MicroBT style.

So a brand new x17 put into immersion could surely last longer than one used normally? Maybe. Do you want to risk it? Most of them fail because the heatsinks will lose adhesion overtime, and there is no warning. Bitmain only takes the temps from two chips after all. And with the x19, chips no longer have sensors.

So its basically, once the chip burns, and you start seeing the counting error or x you discover that, oh, maybe that heatsink isn't adhering so well anymore...

Bitmain realized their mess and dropped this line, it doesn't exist, so stop thinking you will get the S17Hydro. S19 is their current line and the rest doesn't exist to them anymore.

MicroBT machines are still better built, those guys that left Bitmain knew what they were doing since the beginning...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Saskfarmer (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 08, 2022, 05:25:17 AM

Yeah as to heating with just the miners the noise is something else.   Even if we built off large area insulated for noise suppression and vented for building heat there would be considerable cost to that.
Then like wndsmb suggested the summer heat would be another whole level of difficulty to deal with.

I guess that was the other question that I didn't ask but was not only were they standing up but while overclocking because that's where immersion real payback would be.

The S17 Pro's entice me a bit because I trained back in the day as a micro tech which is oddly handy agricultural farming now a day's.    And I can bring them in at 50 and 90 lots reasonably cheap.  Not sure I want to be hunkered over hash boards in all my free time for eternity though.   And yet just filled a room with new gear to do it.  DOH.

Also my crew is in the shop right now during the slow part of the year.   Could have them building tanks right now.

I've found a couple refurbishing shops in china that's doing a fair bit of work on S19's as well.
wndsnb

View Profile
January 08, 2022, 03:13:21 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2022, 03:24:56 PM by wndsnb
Merited by Welsh (2)

Not sure I want to be hunkered over hash boards in all my free time for eternity though.   And yet just filled a room with new gear to do it.  DOH.

ha ... welcome to my world. I bought a 500lbs pallet of 17 series parts from a mine that shut down last year ... and now this is where I spend all my evenings.

gave merit for sticking around.... many (most?) just ask for advice and are never heard from again. If you move forward with a build post pics!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: