Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:52:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU with 2 Fans and 3 Fans  (Read 166 times)
jasoncool (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 01, 2022, 12:06:26 PM

Hi there,

I noticed some Nvidia cards come in both 2 fan and 3 fan models. Apart from the difference in length, are there any design changes that would impact on hash rate? There seems to be $200-$300 price difference between the two. If no technical difference between the two then buying twin fan model would be the cheapest.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1056

View Profile
January 01, 2022, 12:55:04 PM

Hi there,

I noticed some Nvidia cards come in both 2 fan and 3 fan models. Apart from the difference in length, are there any design changes that would impact on hash rate? There seems to be $200-$300 price difference between the two. If no technical difference between the two then buying twin fan model would be the cheapest.
If you buy a video card for mining for installation in an open case or a PC, and do not want problems, then it is better to buy a video card with good cooling. Even a $ 200 overpayment for good cooling will pay off in a few years, but not every expensive graphics card is good.
I recommend that you read the reviews of miners before buying. If you use closed cases, then you can get cheaper video cards.
The processor is the same everywhere, and the hashrate depends heavily on the memory manufacturer and overclocking possibilities.
Looper_U

Activity: 369
Merit: 16

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 01, 2022, 06:36:31 PM

Graphic cards with 3 fans are better at cooling than those with 2 fans, if you are living is a area with less heat then even GPU with a single fan will serve you right but honestly I have few GPUs with 3 fans and they are always the coolest

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
January 02, 2022, 03:32:33 AM

I think it depends on the design. I had GPUs in the past like the Gigabyte Windforce and they had 3 fans and they were one of the worse fans I’ve ever encountered. I think every single one of those fans died in one way or another. It got so bad that I basically stopped replacing them and either slapped some case fans on the heatsink or I just popped off the fan blade and gave it some mineral oil from time to time.

The reason why they were bad because they were tiny and weak and didn’t push out much air. Hence they used 3 of them however the cooling was worse than GPUs that I used which had the 2 fan setup. So just keep in mind that 3 fans isn’t always better. 2 should be adequate for most applications, especially these days when fans are all low rated.
XUR_TIP

Activity: 227
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 02, 2022, 07:42:18 AM

Few 2 fans GPU performs better than some 3 fans GPU it depends on the makers, for example I have a gtx1660 super from gigabyte with 3 fans and also a zotac gtx1660 super with 3 fans guess what? The zotac performance is worse in terms of cooling

KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 05:39:42 AM

Two or three fans shouldn't matter as long as the pocket of warm air is removed.  There is directed airflow in a closed case.  Open-air frames need more help to push the cloud of warm air away.  A few 120 or 140mm fans mounted nearby should be enough.  My single rig has a linear fan blowing across the whole GPU area so each individual fan is sucking in fresh air.

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
cmyk-B

Activity: 27
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 03, 2022, 08:02:53 AM

Hi there,

3 fans are normally better at cooling but really its about cooler design more then the number of fans. The 5700xt Gamer X is a two fan cards and its a clear winner vs say the STRIX 5700xt witch is a 3 fan card.
Refrumatrix

Activity: 301
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 04, 2022, 05:21:18 PM

Not all 3 fans GPUs are better than 2 fans GPU it depends entirely on the GPU cooling design, strixx have good cooling than most of other cards I own and some times silicon lottery wins, a 1660 super with two fans I thinks it's zotac have greatest cooling it hardly get hot, other 1660 super gives me 55°C but this one gives 45°C

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2022, 12:26:34 PM

I don't understand why install a 3-cooler cooling system on a 1660 super video card.
The more copper pipes in the radiator, the better the cooling system. Some manufacturers try to compensate for a cheap radiator with more fans. Reviews, the best way not to buy a problematic video card.
Ceyflix-Rez

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 06, 2022, 07:06:31 AM

I don't understand why install a 3-cooler cooling system on a 1660 super video card.
The more copper pipes in the radiator, the better the cooling system. Some manufacturers try to compensate for a cheap radiator with more fans. Reviews, the best way not to buy a problematic video card.
Yea 1660 supers are always cool when mining even the single fan 1660s works so well but I'd like to correct you I have a gigabyte 1660super with 3 fans and 9 other 1660 super with two fans but the gigabyte still have upper hand over all in cooling

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2022, 11:04:18 AM

Yea 1660 supers are always cool when mining even the single fan 1660s works so well but I'd like to correct you I have a gigabyte 1660super with 3 fans and 9 other 1660 super with two fans but the gigabyte still have upper hand over all in cooling
I know that there are 1660 super video cards with 3 coolers, this is probably more like marketing to sell the video card more expensive.
The graphics card is longer than standard graphics cards, which creates problems for installation in older PC cases.
For installation in a rig, this does not matter.
devil2man

Activity: 759
Merit: 15

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 10:29:58 AM

Obviously cards with three fans have a better cooling system but if you use a rig it is useless to spend $ 200 more for each card just get organized with an alternative cooling system for the entire rig
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2022, 03:28:00 PM

Obviously cards with three fans have a better cooling system but if you use a rig it is useless to spend $ 200 more for each card just get organized with an alternative cooling system for the entire rig
A very good calculation is needed here.
An alternative system - a closed case with good fans, filters and controls costs $ 200-500. The price depends on the demand in the market.
But I make open cases, and reliable cooling is important to me. A video card with 3 coolers can mine perfectly and with 2 coolers, this is a huge plus. But a video card with 2 coolers will not be able to mine with 1 working cooler. There will be instant overheating and stoppage of mining.
Flying11Horse

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2022, 08:26:04 AM

Hi there,

Don't go for cheap, there is a reason for the 3 fans in this card ,it keeps the card cool and as you mentioned there is 200-300$ price difference between the two so module with 3 three fans will be more stable and will last longer then the one with 2 fans.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: