Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:42:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does PCB stand for in miner operating temperature range?  (Read 136 times)
henryvuong (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 04, 2022, 05:20:18 PM

I am new to mining. Can someone tell me what PCB stand for in this table (Miner normal operating temperature range):

https://support.bitmain.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005088914-Miner-normal-operating-temperature-range

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 04, 2022, 10:57:21 PM

That should be self-explanatory: Printed Circuit Board.
They are talking about the maximum temperature the PCB is rated to be able safely operate at.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2022, 11:37:00 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2), hugeblack (2)

It's a temp of the PCB or the hashboard and the ASIC chip itself has its own temp sensor.

You can use that link as your reference you can find the PCB temp under the miner status.
And this is the sample image below

Temp(PCB) this must be what you talking about. It has a 4 PCB temp sensor as you can see from the image above. Those sensors are under the heat sink look at the image below

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
henryvuong (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2022, 12:01:48 AM

Thanks for the explanation. So what would be a safe ambient temperature for the miners? In summer when temperature rises to 90+ Fahrenheit how do you keep the miners from overheating?

My friend and I are planning to run some S19 Pro Antminer in his home in Houston, TX. Right now the weather is good for cooling, but in summer the temperature can reach 100+ Fahrenheit, I assume we must install some AC to cool them down? We plan to have up to 10 units in a shed. Do you think running an AC is sufficient?
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2022, 11:48:56 AM

Thanks for the explanation. So what would be a safe ambient temperature for the miners? In summer when temperature rises to 90+ Fahrenheit how do you keep the miners from overheating?

My friend and I are planning to run some S19 Pro Antminer in his home in Houston, TX. Right now the weather is good for cooling, but in summer the temperature can reach 100+ Fahrenheit, I assume we must install some AC to cool them down? We plan to have up to 10 units in a shed. Do you think running an AC is sufficient?

Just keep monitoring your miner and keep your miner lower than the recommended PCB temp according to the link you provided above.
S19 pro has PCB max. 80c more than that it could melt or damage some parts or ASIC chips.

If you can afford to pay much for Electricity you can install AC but actually, for me, it's not necessary to buy AC if you want to cool them down you should set up your room with proper room airflow you must have an intake fan(Air from outside) then exhaust(to exhaust hot air) you can also separate them hot and cold air you can check the link below as a sample.

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5263722.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
henryvuong (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2022, 10:58:02 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2022, 01:39:16 AM by henryvuong

80°C is a very high degree to reach, so am I correct to assume that with proper air circulation, you can keep you miners running even in summer when the temperature reaches 38-40°C (100-104°K)?  Huh
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2022, 03:03:48 PM

Yes, that's what they published in their specifications for the original S9, for the modern miners like the S19 they lowered the max ambient temp to 35°C.

What you need to do in summer is move that air. 200~250CFM for S9s and 400~500CFM for the others. And when i mean move, it means fresh air from the outside, into the miners, and then to outside again, without mixing. You can (and should) take advantage of the typical wind direction in your place.

I have seen the S9s work with 40°C ambient temp just fine. Hundreds of them.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: [1]
  Print