Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:30:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My idea: CBitPal  (Read 8656 times)
jaymac407 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:07:48 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and BitCoin, and I'm loving the concept so far!

I'm a software developer, particularly web based technologies, and I had a great idea. A system like PayPal but for BitCoin payments.

Before you start flaming (central authority), this system would have a shopping cart based system, an API like PayPal's and no transaction fees (except for the transaction fees by the BitCoin network). It would have a UDP API for game-based micropayments, too.

You might say; why not let the end-user use the BitCoin API? Well, some people may not have a 24/7 server where they can run the daemon (e.g. shared hosting), additionally, it would be super easy, wouldn't require any programming knowledge (unless they wanted to get advanced).

Does anyone else like this idea?
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:09:52 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and BitCoin, and I'm loving the concept so far!

I'm a software developer, particularly web based technologies, and I had a great idea. A system like PayPal but for BitCoin payments.

Before you start flaming (central authority), this system would have a shopping cart based system, an API like PayPal's and no transaction fees (except for the transaction fees by the BitCoin network). It would have a UDP API for game-based micropayments, too.

You might say; why not let the end-user use the BitCoin API? Well, some people may not have a 24/7 server where they can run the daemon (e.g. shared hosting), additionally, it would be super easy, wouldn't require any programming knowledge (unless they wanted to get advanced).

Does anyone else like this idea?

+1 love the idea ...
Quantumplation

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:12:22 PM

>_> It kind of defeats the purpose.  What advantage would it offer over building such functionality directly into the client (such as with the RPC and JSON interfaces)?

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
jaymac407 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:15:19 PM

>_> It kind of defeats the purpose.  What advantage would it offer over building such functionality directly into the client (such as with the RPC and JSON interfaces)?

Not everyone has their own server where they can run the daemon. Additionally, the setup would make it much easier for people that just want to accept payments and automate them and not bother with configuring a special BitCoin daemon.
Quantumplation

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:18:10 PM

It doesn't require a server.  You can just start the bitcoin client, and javascript can interface with it from JSON, AFAIK.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2010, 06:22:21 PM

I made a version of this already: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=537.0
or http://mtgox.com/merch/about

jaymac407 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:27:48 PM

Ah, awesome. Should have had a look around first  Grin
eugene2k

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:36:51 PM

undefined<script src='http://mtgox.com/js/BTCButton.js' >+'<'+'/script>
You seem to have a problem with your code that outputs html/javascript somewhere.
mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2010, 08:05:44 PM

oh thanks. fixed.

Vasili Sviridov

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2010, 08:47:37 PM

You drag in jQuery and also pollute the JS global object?
Sorry to say, but that is pretty weak...

Not to mention that it will not work when JS is disabled.

Gotta tighten up that code man.

1JHYtsmsGq2McwGHmWayVjVtHds8rp1R5
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 23, 2010, 12:54:53 AM

The really interesting idea of a PayPal for Bitcoin (call it Bitpal) would be if a company were to come in and provide fraud insurance like PayPal currently does (hopefully less skewed towards the buyer). That way buyers could transact without trusting the seller. Bitpal would know both parties (somehow verify ID) and then offer to punish the seller and refund the buyer's money if the seller didn't deliver.

Bitcoin's strength is that it enables anonymous, irreversible transactions upon which it is possible to build other transaction types, including the more buyer-friendly reversible ones.

Bitpal could force the seller to keep coins on deposit for a certain amount of time, relaxing this requirement as they reached a higher and higher reputation. They would cover any losses above the amount they could recover from the seller. Sellers would gain rep for successful transactions and lose it for unsuccessful ones.

They would need a good system to ensure that neither the buyer nor the seller was lying about the transaction. Tracking numbers only help so much - the goods could have arrived damaged, and not all shipping services provide them. I've also envisioned a system where the seller ships items to a trusted party who checks them, sends pictures and description to both the buyer and the seller, and asks both parties if they wish to proceed. If so, they ship them to the buyer with a tracking number and optional insurance. If they arrive damaged and the buyer chose not to get insurance, they don't get their money back. If they chose to get insurance, then that claim is filed. It would double the cost and time of shipping, but would allow everyone involved to verify that the item shipped was correct and not a small pile of stones. Cheesy

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 23, 2010, 01:26:18 AM

The really interesting idea of a PayPal for Bitcoin (call it Bitpal) would be if a company were to come in and provide fraud insurance like PayPal currently does (hopefully less skewed towards the buyer). That way buyers could transact without trusting the seller. Bitpal would know both parties (somehow verify ID) and then offer to punish the seller and refund the buyer's money if the seller didn't deliver.

Bitcoin's strength is that it enables anonymous, irreversible transactions upon which it is possible to build other transaction types, including the more buyer-friendly reversible ones.

Bitpal could force the seller to keep coins on deposit for a certain amount of time, relaxing this requirement as they reached a higher and higher reputation. They would cover any losses above the amount they could recover from the seller. Sellers would gain rep for successful transactions and lose it for unsuccessful ones.

They would need a good system to ensure that neither the buyer nor the seller was lying about the transaction. Tracking numbers only help so much - the goods could have arrived damaged, and not all shipping services provide them. I've also envisioned a system where the seller ships items to a trusted party who checks them, sends pictures and description to both the buyer and the seller, and asks both parties if they wish to proceed. If so, they ship them to the buyer with a tracking number and optional insurance. If they arrive damaged and the buyer chose not to get insurance, they don't get their money back. If they chose to get insurance, then that claim is filed. It would double the cost and time of shipping, but would allow everyone involved to verify that the item shipped was correct and not a small pile of stones. Cheesy

Yes, combine with a global web of trust to get the best of both the anonymous and public web. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: