Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:14:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think an email from a university in London to Portugal could be lost?  (Read 193 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1119
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2022, 11:45:19 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2022, 11:25:27 PM by remotemass

I remember that my first encounter with peer-2-peer money was a bit like that of Andreas Antonopoulos, not paying it the attention I should.
I was studying Computer Science and Engineering at London South Bank University (I graduated in the summer of 2012) and I was studying hard but sometimes I would do very weird things like spending a whole day watching youtube videos of all of the hundreds of writers listed in a freebie magazine, called "Shortlist", that was given to me in the morning when I was going to uni.
This time, I was surfing the web in some blogs related to "intentional communities" and alternative styles of life. I remember I found this bizarre apparently very young man that I would certainly recognize if I saw one of his videos again, that was channeling messages from aliens, some very bizarre videos actually. And along with that, I found a blog, that I really don't know how to find out what it was, and in one of the posts I found out there was this experimental software for peer-2-peer money.
And I said to myself, "Wow, peer-2-peer money. How cool!".
And without spending too much time and realizing how important it would become, I just moved on, but still, I remember it well, I sent an email from my university email (since it was not my Gmail, I checked it, and I wouldn't certainly create an email for that specific purpose) to my dear uncle, to whom from time to time I would send emails of stuff I found particularly interesting that he could not know about, which is actually extremely hard, believe me).
The email was sent from my email, namely: alexandd@lsbu.ac.uk and his email address ended in: @cix.pt (which used to be a very popular ISP and online email provider in Portugal). My best guess is that it was by the end of 2009, probably November or December, but could have been in 2010, I am actually not sure, and it is hard for me to figure it out). That was actually the last email I sent to that email address because what happened is that the email bounced back straight away saying that That email box was no longer in use.
The email was just saying something short like: "This is amazing, peer-2-peer money." with a link to that short blog post where it was mentioned.

When I graduated I didn't backup emails. There was not a simple way to export and backup and I didn't realize I would need anything from those emails, so I just looked a bit into it to see if there was really anything that I wanted to save, but quickly moved on and thought, well I will not actually need any of these. So I will move on.

Later I realized I actually would like to have this particular sent email. But it was too late. I contacted the uni but they always say the same, after a few months those emails are discarded and there is really no way to recover them.

My question is, most internet activities in the UK are all particularly scrutinized and logged by GCHQ, which is like the NSA of the UK, so it is extremely unlikely that an email sent from a university in London at that time could be lost. But still, I really don't know. Emails are very specific internet communication, using specific protocols like IMAP and POP3. So, what do you think, is that email really lost?

Any feedback would be very welcome. And of course, I know the email address I sent it to.
And actually most emails I would send him were from my Gmail. But for a bit bizarre reason this last one was sent from: alexandd@lsbu.uk
Then, I was many many years without contacting him. And even by that time, I would only send him emails, because talking with him on the phone was even less often. I talked with him on the phone in December 2006 and more recently, a few years ago and last year. But as you see, not every day.
Mainly because he is very much of a hermit and mysterious man. But his heart is definitely in the right place. And he is a very moral man. Probably the most intelligent, cultured and knowledgeable I ever met. And I have met many, believe me. He is probably the closest thing to the Richard Feynman of our time. And yes, he could be Satoshi Nakamoto. And has an extremely very high profile for that actually. He even studied Maths at Ph.D. level at Harvard at about the same time of Neal Koblitz (creator of the Elliptic Curves math) and by the time that William Feller, last referenced in the bitcoin whitepaper, (that looks a bit like how one would imagine a very wise  Smiley Japanese Satoshi), from Princeton University, received his National Medal of Science medal, around the Summer of Love.

Another thing, it is very unlikely Satoshi never searched or read on the web about the "Byzantine Generals Problem" before we had VPNs and Tor Browser. Now we have SyncThing which is even more powerful if you are careful and protect your files, air-gapped from the internet, with a password using 7z (from 7-zip.org), making them for that matter encrypted. So why no one would try to find who did actually look for it on the web before 2008?! Wouldn't that be the first thing to try?

But I only became really interested in Bitcoin, reading the whitepaper and everything I could on the web, by the end of August in 2011 (26/Aug/2011), when Ray Kurzweil posted about it on his email mailing-list that I used to receive. I think there was something else that triggered a bit of my attention before that, but don't know exactly what.

- remotemass

[EDIT: Actually, I just found out it was sent, for sure, after: 08/Oct/2009]

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 10, 2022, 01:44:43 AM

I don't think emails are encrypted so someone somewhere might have a copy of it but that might be quite unlikely and no one will know where to start with getting access to that afaik.

If MI departments started allowing people to access their emails, we'd probably get encrypted emails and those departments would lose some power...
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2022, 02:15:16 AM

Another way, I guess, is that the mentioned ISP from Portugal (clix.pt) stores all emails it receives, even the ones that bounce back because the mailbox account is gone.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4521

View Profile
January 10, 2022, 10:29:05 AM

so that wall of text is just to say you emailed your uncle in 2009-10. and you cant find the email.

if he doesnt have it. then why does it matter? just call him. say hello.
why is it so important that 12 years after emailing him you need an email about how you emailed your uncle about a blog you seen.

there were many many many blogs in 2008->october 2009 about peer to peer money.

i have the strangest feeling that the legendary user that owned 'remotemass' as of 2012, recently sold his account to a noob. and this noob is trying to start a chain of unfortunate events that somehow, eventually lead into a story implicating his uncle as being satoshi.. and this is just the first chapter.

if your just looking for the email to see if the blog still exists, just out of curiosity, or for revisiting the past..

main ones were p2pfoundation.ning.com
which is one of the places satoshi posted about bitcoin, but many other posts were about p2p money in general even before bitcoin

then there are things like the cypherpunks mailing list and.. well google search can tell you more

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2022, 01:23:57 PM

franky1: Nope, didn't sell the account. Same dude, here. You said it with fewer words, Franky1, but with much less details.
Yes, I am implying exactly what you said, but not recently, for a very long time. Since I have this account actually, or even before, as a matter of fact.
It's a pity you don't find that worth of any credibility because it actually is worthy of that.

- remotemass

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4521

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 12:27:03 AM

saying you read some blog in 2010. and then emailed your uncle.... (end of your story)
is not any proof of your uncle being anything but your uncle. or a recipient of a 2010 email

heck i sent emails to lots of people. doesnt mean they are satoshi.
trying to find an email from 2010 is of no factual importance or proof.

thats why i dont give any credit or importance to care about your uncle

heck. i can make a message now
to:mother
date:10/10/10
"are you satoshi"

to:franky1
date:11/10/10
"yes son i am.. why dont you visit more often"

see. no proof

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: