Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:09:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is PayPal plannning to Launch of Own Stablecoin?  (Read 525 times)
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 11:43:32 AM

Few Paypal users over the years.
I wouldn't say few, there's still a lot of their users. They've got an estimate of 390 million users worldwide and that's ain't few.

I'll compare this possible launching of their own stable coin to Facebook's Libra that has failed. They're both planned but not executed so let's see if PayPal will just remain on their planning stage and might end up the same as Libra's.
that's very true, paypal users continue to grow even though currently transaction activity on paypal is decreasing because of the many competitors

I agree with @mk14 opinion, paypal is just trying to explore what happens if they execute their plan above, will many support!

the possibility that paypal coin will become "the next failed libra" is also very large
One competitor is bitcoin and even they've just adopted cryptocurrencies, the number of their competitors are growing and that's why instead of beating them, they've joined the game.

We have to see it go first but that comparison of the failure of Libra, it's from a big company but didn't push through. That's why the thought of having that failure is no different from the first projects that have tried it.

Even it is PayPal, they're not exempted of failing with that plan.

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Taskford

Activity: 2534
Merit: 787

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 12:05:14 PM

I wouldn't say few, there's still a lot of their users. They've got an estimate of 390 million users worldwide and that's ain't few.

I'll compare this possible launching of their own stable coin to Facebook's Libra that has failed. They're both planned but not executed so let's see if PayPal will just remain on their planning stage and might end up the same as Libra's.
that's very true, paypal users continue to grow even though currently transaction activity on paypal is decreasing because of the many competitors

I agree with @mk14 opinion, paypal is just trying to explore what happens if they execute their plan above, will many support!

the possibility that paypal coin will become "the next failed libra" is also very large
One competitor is bitcoin and even they've just adopted cryptocurrencies, the number of their competitors are growing and that's why instead of beating them, they've joined the game.

They are thinking smart on situation since little by little they are been overcome by bitcoin and its a good move for them to adopt bitcoin since this could make them survive in this business so for sure others will follow since this is the new trend right now. Also I see it a good move for having that plan so hopefully they will succeed since there's a huge competitor if we talk about stable coin and for provably they will get a hard time to surpass the other who came out first.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Reid

Activity: 2884
Merit: 642

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 12:13:45 PM

So many digital wallets popping out, we are being forgotten. I have an idea, "Let's create a stablecoin!". I am sure we will be back in mainstream again because of this new gossip.  Grin
Isn't it a bit too late?! They should've created this when they made the announcement of acceptance of buying Bitcoin in their platform. That way it will be not just be an explosion but like a nuke dropped in the cryptocurrency field. I don't agree or disagree and not even neutral. It's just okay. Do it, let's see where it will go.
Blue0x.com

Activity: 31
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 02:16:18 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2022, 02:26:24 PM by Blue0x.com

Paypal is the absolute definition of a company that should be using a stablecoin.  Its goes against everything crypto used to stand for, but so does Elon Musk, and crypto 'investors' take his Tweets as the word of God.  Paypal is also what made Elon all his money.  So there is that....

Its not a dying service.  Its used worldwide to send money 10x faster than a bank.  

Also Libra Coin didnt fail.  They changed the name to Diem.
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1334

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 05:19:58 PM

I'm pretty sure exploring != planning.

The former likely means that they're still trying to find out if it's worth doing or if it's feasible; while the latter likely means that they're probably already decided. Also taking note that these huge companies frequently "explore" stuff that they can implement to their company; without any guarantees in the end that they will push through.

Good job by the media by creating a "pAyPaL cOiN" to get clicks and shares from the normies though.
Correct, besides now that governments are exploring the creation of their own coins I doubt they will tolerate that a company like PayPal that is entirely focused on being a form of payment will do something like this, so all in all even if they are exploring this possibility I think the chances are very low that something like this gets implemented, because the moment they try to do so the regulators will come to them and shutdown the project indirectly through their regulations.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 07:25:23 PM

Stablecoins are the root of the evil type of thing in crypto these days. People get in and out of cryptocurrencies with ease thanks to these centralized stablecoins, even fiat would have been better. I mean when you are in crypto, going back to fiat takes a slightly more time compared to stablecoins, not a lot but still like maybe 10-15 minutes longer when you consider banking hours it could be even more.

This is also the key for most leverage places as well, you have a dollar worth debt and when you are going the wrong way you get liquidated and all of your crypto turns into stablecoins. The last thing we need is an industry giant to start their own stablecoin, facebook had their own thing for a while and I am hoping that we do not end up having the same thing once again. Not that it would be impossible or horrible but it would definitely not be profitable for anyone.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1404

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2022, 07:42:40 PM

Isn't it a bit too late?! They should've created this when they made the announcement of acceptance of buying Bitcoin in their platform. That way it will be not just be an explosion but like a nuke dropped in the cryptocurrency field.

Its still pretty early for all of these companies to move around crypto space and create whatever opportunity that they deem profitable for their companies. Back when they started to add the new feature to buy and sell crypto, they probably didnt expect that it will blown up and the fact that this new idea is still in development phase means that they are not fully ready yet

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
yhiaali3
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1866

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2022, 08:19:23 PM

(-) The disadvantage in this, I see, is that the new PayPal Coin will be centralized and, of course, the problem of mandatory verification. And of course, PayPal Coin will be very far from the ideology of Bitcoin.

How do you rate the event with this company's plans to launch its stablecoin?

Paypal's Coin will certainly be centralized without a doubt, and without a doubt it will be completely different from the Bitcoin ideology, but the mere thought of Paypal making its own coin gives us a great indication of how different Bitcoin has made in the world of money and payments, in the beginning all these global companies were The big one that covers the payment system around the world completely rejects the idea, but we see them now racing to enter this new world. It is the fait accompli that Bitcoin imposed, despite all the correct negative points you mentioned. I see that thanks to Bitcoin, we are at the gates of a new financial world system completely different from Previous.

istiak2277

Activity: 728
Merit: 19

KUWA.ai

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 08:33:08 PM

If they bring their own stable coin which will be backed by USD then how crypto will be benefited from it? They are a very big company so many new people will come to crypto so fresh money will flow but the problem is it will be centralized which we are trying to eliminate. We are trying to create a decentralized economy so how that could be possible with a centralized crypto assets. It may serve good purpose for paypal but not for crypto.

───[  KUWA  ]───
─────────────[  Securely Connect Smart Contracts with Real-World Data and APIs  ]─────────────
─────────────[  TWITTER    |    CHECK OUT KUWA    |    TELEGRAM  ]─────────────
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 08:35:59 PM

Isn't it a bit too late?! They should've created this when they made the announcement of acceptance of buying Bitcoin in their platform. That way it will be not just be an explosion but like a nuke dropped in the cryptocurrency field.

Its still pretty early for all of these companies to move around crypto space and create whatever opportunity that they deem profitable for their companies. Back when they started to add the new feature to buy and sell crypto, they probably didnt expect that it will blown up and the fact that this new idea is still in development phase means that they are not fully ready yet
They were totally hesitating on touching it up due to some legal issues or in with regulation since they do know that government is totally opposing crypto adoption thats why hindrance of these common

big companies could really be seen but they had made out their decision on touching or recognizing it and now that they have seen a possible benefit which can add up revenue then its expected that they

would really be doing such step for them to do so and creating their own coin is the one but do they really think that people here on crypto market would see it as a good add up?
I dont think so.

.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 3009

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 08:47:08 PM

I don't know if I'd take these ideas seriously, especially from PayPal.

Assuming it's still owned by eBay, its probably just trying to get some demand on ebay stocks (since they just seem to fall relative to their profits).

Also, I don't know if anyone uses PayPal for any other reason than it being useful for not putting in card details when paying for stuff, if you instead have to bother to sign a transaction or do something fancier then why would anyone bother?

All this being said, a centralised organisation controlling a cryptocurrency might make it more forgiving from scams and accidental mistakes (eg sending to addresses spelt wrong).

They (eBay) no longer owns PayPal and they have actually become somewhat “enemies” since splitting up but the premise here is the same, PayPal is one of that worlds most corrupt organizations and should not be trusted by anyone. It amazes me that people actually buy and store bitcoin and crypto through them. Steer far clear from these scumbags everyone !

.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 09:09:00 PM

Paypal owns Venmo, and Venmo directly competes with CashApp. CashApp allows stock trading but offers a large crypto platform too, so if Venmo doesn't already offer crypto, they soon will. I see Paypal as strictly a fiat based system and payment processor, doesn't seem to me that crypto users would be particularly interested. If they did create a stablecoin, they'd probably just use Venmo to to push it.
Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 09:12:40 PM

Assuming it's still owned by eBay, its probably just trying to get some demand on ebay stocks (since they just seem to fall relative to their profits).

Also, I don't know if anyone uses PayPal for any other reason than it being useful for not putting in card details when paying for stuff, if you instead have to bother to sign a transaction or do something fancier then why would anyone bother?

All this being said, a centralised organisation controlling a cryptocurrency might make it more forgiving from scams and accidental mistakes (eg sending to addresses spelt wrong).

They (eBay) no longer owns PayPal and they have actually become somewhat “enemies” since splitting up but the premise here is the same, PayPal is one of that worlds most corrupt organizations and should not be trusted by anyone. It amazes me that people actually buy and store bitcoin and crypto through them. Steer far clear from these scumbags everyone !
Maybe PayPal is highly corrupt, but the positive mind Keep people using it. eBay and PayPal have been partnered and it got broken in the year 2020. Now eBay is with talks of partnering with adyen for transaction support. Adyen is an Amsterdam based transaction company.

PayPal might've found creating a stablecoin to be cost effective way to make transactions faster than the present system. Maybe that could've interested in going for a stablecoin, but we don't know how far this is going to be effective in real-time.

milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1127

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 10:32:18 PM

Maybe PayPal is highly corrupt, but the positive mind Keep people using it. eBay and PayPal have been partnered and it got broken in the year 2020. Now eBay is with talks of partnering with adyen for transaction support. Adyen is an Amsterdam based transaction company.

PayPal might've found creating a stablecoin to be cost effective way to make transactions faster than the present system. Maybe that could've interested in going for a stablecoin, but we don't know how far this is going to be effective in real-time.
We would be seeing the effects of application when it is already been integrated.The thing we can do for now is to speculate whether it would really be that a big change or turns out to be nothing or not interesting at all.Every company could possibly made out those kind of changes as they would really be going along on whats the current trend which could neither be beneficial for them.
Of course they had made out such brainstorming whether they do apply it out on the business or would totally just skip out but we've seen that they had
consider it out.

Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
January 11, 2022, 11:06:55 PM

I think everyone explores stablecoins ever since tether destroyed $500 million dollars worth of their own supply back in 2018.

The $500 million number definitely put stablecoins on many peoples radar and those positioned to leverage those types of gains in the financial world would naturally explore and pursue such an option if it became available.

Tether Just Burned 500 Million USDT Stablecoin Tokens

Shortly before 1:00 p.m. ET Wednesday, Tether, the company behind the dollar-linked stablecoin of the same name, announced via Twitter that it had destroyed 500 million tether (USDT) tokens.

From Oct. 14, when USDT started to slip below $1.00, to Oct. 23, 680 million USDT were transferred to the company-controlled Treasury wallet.

As a result of these transfers, the supply of tethers in circulation has dropped by around a quarter in a week and a half, to approximately $2 billion. Now many of these tokens, in addition to having been taken out of circulation, have been "burned" or destroyed by the company.

https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2018/10/24/tether-just-burned-500-million-usdt-stablecoin-tokens/

Without knowing more details, its difficult to say exactly what paypal's motive is.

Perhaps they feel pressure from 3rd party payment apps like venmo, apple pay and whatsapp and are looking for competitive advantages.
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
January 12, 2022, 12:47:21 AM

Paypal is the absolute definition of a company that should be using a stablecoin.  Its goes against everything crypto used to stand for, but so does Elon Musk, and crypto 'investors' take his Tweets as the word of God.  Paypal is also what made Elon all his money.  So there is that....

Its not a dying service.  Its used worldwide to send money 10x faster than a bank.  
Yes, it's still popular as it is and got millions of users worldwide so it's not really a dying service, they're just adopting the trend that might get them with their competitors and so they've added crypto.

Also Libra Coin didnt fail.  They changed the name to Diem.
It is the reality that failed and that's why they have to replace the name into Diem. To avoid being tagged to the failed project that they've once worked for.

They are thinking smart on situation since little by little they are been overcome by bitcoin and its a good move for them to adopt bitcoin since this could make them survive in this business so for sure others will follow since this is the new trend right now. Also I see it a good move for having that plan so hopefully they will succeed since there's a huge competitor if we talk about stable coin and for provably they will get a hard time to surpass the other who came out first.
Well, as for the success, we don't know with that. There's too many stable coins in the market already as long as they can provide that they're backed with real money and it's for sure going to be a centralized stable coin.

henryvuong

Activity: 27
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 12, 2022, 01:26:50 AM

We already have USD Coin. No need for PP coin. It won't make any difference.
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 5665

Blackjack.fun🎲

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2022, 12:27:01 PM

We already have USD Coin. No need for PP coin. It won't make any difference.

PayPal doesn't care that there are dozens of stablecoins, they are interested in making their own. It has become big business, and PP has obviously smelled profit in that, they are not the first or the last to make their stablecoin. What fascinates me most is the fact that people use stablecoins en masse, not only for trading, but also to store their money thinking it's a safe way - and they don't know that most stablecoins can be frozen even if you keep them in a non-custodial wallet. Another stablecoin in a row, but with the PP signature will surely attract a bunch of potential users who will use it.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 914

View Profile
January 12, 2022, 12:37:01 PM

I have a 10 year old Paypal account and haven't been using this account in the last few years(since I've discovered Bitcoin).I'm thinking about deleting that account,since I don't use it anymore,but I'm confused about the possibility of using this account for something in the future.
I live in a country,where Paypal isn't accepting crypto payments.I guess that all the "Paypal has become crypto friendly" thing is still in the US only.I don't care about Paypal since 2016/2017.I wouldn't care about them even if they create a centralized shitcoin.
This is definitely a clickbait article,but if Paypal really wants to launch their own token,let them do so.
Calling this centralized "coin" a cryptocurrency would be a big mistake.

The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2022, 01:15:00 PM

I am not much excited at all about PayPal coin or whatever. You can expect only centralized coins from a centralized organization. We don't need more coins actually. We need Bitcoin adaption. More coins are just dust of cryptocurrency. There are good stable coins that exist in the markets. If PayPal uses Blockchain to deploy stable coins it will just make differ between on-chain and off-chain compared with current PayPal currency. It's like they allow to use of Bitcoin at the beginning but not on-chain. Means their thoughts are always centralized.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██