Author Topic: delete  (Read 9831 times)
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:12:30 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 05:24:01 PM by kalus

I just think extortion is the wrong way to address it.  Let the market handle it.

the market is handling this.  the developer ignored a documented problem, and forked the coin.

a few weeks ago i remember a thread that stated there was a flaw, it was to be tested, and there were a lot of flames from auroracoin zealots.

the market is responding, there are massive sell orders, and the coin is crashing.

you still haven't described the attack, or how it's extortion.  only a cartoon.  

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dspair

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:13:11 PM

If you examine his track record (the LTC threat fiasco is a good example), his MO is to either move the goalpost as the time approaches for action, or just to delete his posts and sulk away to throw another tantrum another day for another reason.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94912.0   <- LTC debacle
Forum clown vs. Shitcoins
It's a win-win for everybody Grin
woetohice

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:26:04 PM

I just think extortion is the wrong way to address it.  Let the market handle it.

the market is handling this.  

a few weeks ago i remember a thread that stated there was a flaw, it was to be tested, and there were a lot of flames from auroracoin zealots.

the developer ignored the documented problem, and forked the coin.

you still haven't described the attack, or how it's extortion.  only a cartoon.  

Perhaps it's not extortion in this case.  But the fact is, an extortion scheme has been publicly laid out, and people have admitted to their roles in that scheme.

BCX said he will attack whatever coin "they" decide.  And how do they decide?  No need to guess.  They stated it publicly.  Anyone who doesn't pay up gets destroyed.  

BCX threatened to attack this coin.  The coin is now under attack.

Can you seriously not connect the dots?

There's certainly FAR more evidence that this is a case of extortion than there is evidence that Aurora is a scam.

Zackgeno96

Activity: 1778
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:27:43 PM

It's been crawling.......I love you.

Look at the block explorer, it came to grinding slowdown starting about 5375.

It amazingly looks like a Time Warp exploit.

At this rate you might make block 5400 sometime in August ROFL.

~BCX~

well done  Grin

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:31:59 PM

Perhaps it's not extortion in this case.
well shit, that's all you had to say.  

i mean we thought your cartoon argument was air tight and everything.

woetohice

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:35:06 PM

There's certainly FAR more evidence that this is a case of extortion than there is evidence that Aurora is a scam.
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:47:53 PM

There's certainly FAR more evidence that this is a case of extortion....

CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR MIND  

ghur

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:55:15 PM

What evidence? https://i.imgur.com/8WsJYam.png

doge: D8q8dR6tEAcaJ7U65jP6AAkiiL2CFJaHah
Automated faucet, pays daily: Qoinpro
envy2010

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:58:51 PM

Anyone who takes a screencap of HTML text as proof is an idiot. Did we really have to point this out?
ElMariachi

Activity: 51

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:14:26 PM

Well shit and I was just going to immigrate to Iceland to get mah coins.

On a slightly more serious note though we better all pray this doesn't make the news, otherwise we'll have a geohot situation with one celebrity emerging from all of this (and/or going to jail) and everyone else getting fucked, no matter which coins they hold.

I agree "strengthening" cryptos is a good thing, even if it victimizes some in the process - but if the currency part of crypto currencies, in the public eye, becomes even more of a joke than it is now that entirely defeats the purpose and makes those actions irrelevant, with a side effect of costing many people a lot of money and reassuring the public that the only way to conduct financial transactions safely is centralized and governed.

Imho, the attacker(s) would stop now that they've proven their point and work with the dev (who, as I understand, wasn't all that cooperative in the past - I bet he is now) if they actually had the good of the community (or cryptos in general) in mind.

But then what do I know.
envy2010

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:29:44 PM

I think it's generally understood that all crypto networks have some security flaws and can be defeated by hashpower and other attacks.

A hacker killing off one little country scamcoin isn't going to undermine all cryptocurrencies, at least more than they already are.
CoinHeavy

Activity: 221

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:45:51 PM

Could someone please help me to understand the technicals of what's occurring here? 

The 'time warp' attack being discussed seems to also require a 51% attack.  Is that correct? 

I get the fundamentals of how the systems involved here work but not the line-by-line source code details.  Is this a simple majority attack?  And if so, are the attackers finding blocks at high difficulty due to their share of the hash rate and just not confirming them on the network?

For those who have done calculations on the time till block 5400, could you please provide some of the analysis you've done?  I would be curious to learn more and to see the formulas involved.  Thanks in advance.
CoinHeavy

Activity: 221

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:22:25 PM

http://blockexplorer.auroracoin.eu/
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:33:00 PM

5383 <3
ElMariachi

Activity: 51

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:49:12 PM

I think it's generally understood that all crypto networks have some security flaws and can be defeated by hashpower and other attacks.

A hacker killing off one little country scamcoin isn't going to undermine all cryptocurrencies, at least more than they already are.
I'm not worried about the "killing off" of the coin but the publicity it might yield - the world doesn't know shit about cryptocoins, much less about country coins - they only heard of Bitcoin, Litecoin and now Auroracoin.

When asked about Bitcoin they say "oh yeah, I heard that got hacked and is now worthless".

When asked about Aurora soon they'll say "oh yeah, I heard that got hacked and is now worthless".

It doesn't matter whether BTC are truly worthless, or if and when AUR might be able to recover. The only thing that matters is public opinion.

Confidence building doesn't work that way.
envy2010

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:56:13 PM

However many people have heard of AUR, that many and orders of magnitude more have heard of BTC and LTC. If AUR dies, the vast majority of people will never have heard of it. Cryptos die all the time. They die because of lack of interest because nobody ever heard of them, or nobody wants them.

If AUR is going to die, better sooner than later. If it survives, it will be much stronger for warding off the attack.
HinnomTX

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:59:07 PM

I'm not worried about the "killing off" of the coin but the publicity it might yield - the world doesn't know shit about cryptocoins, much less about country coins - they only heard of Bitcoin, Litecoin and now Auroracoin.

When asked about Bitcoin they say "oh yeah, I heard that got hacked and is now worthless".

When asked about Aurora soon they'll say "oh yeah, I heard that got hacked and is now worthless".

It doesn't matter whether BTC are truly worthless, or if and when AUR might be able to recover. The only thing that matters is public opinion.

Confidence building doesn't work that way.
So true. BCX is not doing the crypto community any favors with this stunt. Just because you can inflict malice doesn't mean you should.  A dead high profile crypto will damage Bitcoin's reputation in the public eye. The MSM and public are simply not as educated and nuanced as we are here.

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
Dash is Digital Cash.  https://www.dash.org
jiosefjd

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:11:06 PM

This thread is so entertaining. Just marking it for inexorable future amusement.
LTEX
Legendary

Activity: 1023
Merit: 1000

ltex.nl

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 08:31:06 PM

Sorry im late!

Me too!

BCX, (photo taken by his mother) while prepping his KGW attack...

A fool will just look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
micryon

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 08:36:54 PM

Seems to me this is a fixable situation, release new client, hard fork..

if serious about it should do it quickly...

VTC: Vi5NxyF6FPCCEQDrsDcA34P8pXe1Yck21y
PDR: PP3EQsV3oX9bBkjpsnESguMHz3tfMqHXhy PlanetDollar
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: