Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU mining on virtual machine  (Read 98 times)
sgaubatz (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2022, 01:09:11 AM

Hi,
I am about to upgrade my memory on the host to 32GB. I am going to build as many virtual Ubuntu's as I can run. I have an app on my windows computer that pays about $5 a week. I need more than 1 computer to make anything significant. I am also contemplating running a CPU miner on all the Ubuntu computers.
I have played around with the Ubuntu and the lowest I can get it to boot up at is 350MB of ram. Does this have anything to do with the CPU mining. Also, please post a link to a CPU miner I could download and run through Terminal.
Thank you,
Stacey
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
January 13, 2022, 02:56:37 AM

First that Windows app is not mining, I'll say nothing more about that.

CPU mining in a VM is doable but the VM may not support all the extensions of the host CPU.
CPU mining is always best done on the host regardless of OS.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
January 13, 2022, 06:18:51 AM

Hi,
I am about to upgrade my memory on the host to 32GB. I am going to build as many virtual Ubuntu's as I can run. I have an app on my windows computer that pays about $5 a week. I need more than 1 computer to make anything significant. I am also contemplating running a CPU miner on all the Ubuntu computers.
I have played around with the Ubuntu and the lowest I can get it to boot up at is 350MB of ram. Does this have anything to do with the CPU mining. Also, please post a link to a CPU miner I could download and run through Terminal.
Thank you,
Stacey

I don't know what this app is, however if it was this easy then everybody would create tons of VM and try and get as much money as possible. There are lots of places like Amazon AWS where you can rent CPU and people would be all over this if it was profitable, however there is something you are most likely missing.

CPU mining is never really profitable unless you got maybe a high end processor and you can mine Monero. However keep in mind that the profits for that aren't even that great. Renting Amazon AWS to mine monero won't make you any money because you will pay more for rental than you will make income.

cmyk-B

Activity: 27
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 13, 2022, 10:19:18 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2022, 10:16:18 AM by cmyk-B

Hi,
Thank you,
Stacey

First since you asked for a terminal miner I am going to do a shameless plug of my Raptorium miner.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5378643.0

And if you are interested in Monero mining JayDDee's cpuminer.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.0
I was wrong about this being able to mine randomX

Both miners will run on Windows and Linux.

Running a cpu miner in a virtual machine is really not worth it even if you spin up multiple. In all cases you will see a better hashrate from running it on the Host machine because you loose hashrate from not being able to utilize CPU optimizations and from the emulation process. As for memory having more memory does not affect the hashrate but having faster memory will give you a tiny boost on Raptorium and no increase on Monero. What most CPU mining algorithms really love is a large L3 cache size. That is the primary reason AMD processors tend to do better then Intel.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: