Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:51:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello.. I'm new to the community  (Read 66 times)
thomaswgeorge (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2022, 07:42:52 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the community and could use some hints and tips, and suggestions.  I've recently invested in my first rig: ASUS mobo, Intel processor, ram, msata, 1000 watt psu, and a 1 non-LHR GPU.. with plans to add GPUs once I get up and running.

What I'd really like, is for someone that's been around for a while to let me know what sort of implications my hardware selections might have on software selections, pools I might join, and
coin I might mine, and if there's a better or recommended initial setup.

I'm leaning towards Windows as an OS, but I'm also very familiar with Linux and macOS.  I'm also considering something like hiveos, although I've read that it consumes more energy than just using a desktop OS.   

I've got parts, including a chassis and cooling fans arriving this week, and would appreciate any insight you can offer me early on.

Thanks in advance!
Thomas
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thomaswgeorge (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2022, 08:11:25 PM

Never mind.. this appears to be the wrong forum for this topic - no point in trying to mine bitcoin with a GPU rig.
cmyk-B

Activity: 27
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 21, 2022, 04:43:29 PM
Merited by Toughit (1)

It looks like your post was moved to the correct section. If you are still interested in mining and don't have any problems mining alt coins.

#1 lookup your GPU at https://whattomine.com/gpus and see what the most profitable coin to mine is.

You did not say how much RAM, what CPU and Motherboard you purchased.

For RAM you need a minimum of 4GB but I recommend 8GB.
For CPU the only number that really matters for GPU mining is the number of PCIe lanes.
For Motherboard the more PCIe slots the better.

I have never mined on macOS so cant answer that part but Linux VS Windows, Linux wins every time even if it is HiveOS. Linux consumes less power and Most GPU will perform better. There is the exceptions to the rule like the first generation 3060.

This part is completely my opinion but mining rig frames are a waste of money specially if you plan on having a decent number of cards. Just get a good old wire frame shelf and some zip ties. Mining rig frames are 100s of dollars, Amazon basic wire shelf is $39, assorted pack of zip ties $6.
Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 3045

View Profile
January 21, 2022, 05:18:45 PM

Never mind.. this appears to be the wrong forum for this topic - no point in trying to mine bitcoin with a GPU rig.
Its possible that you can mine Bitcoin with a GPU rig but you will not get any out of it today.
In 2012 - 2013 i was mining with GPUs , good old days of BTC  Cool .
But for now there ASICS that mining Bitcoin , and with a GPU rig you should be mining Altcoins like ETH or others.
And then exchange them to BTC or hold them , thats what the most are doing with GPU rigs.

BitKongy

Activity: 405
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 21, 2022, 05:42:13 PM

You said 1 non LHR GPU do you mind sharing the exact number of the GPU? Maybe it's 3060, 3060ti, 3070s, 3070ti or even 3080ti which one exactly? The best OS for mining is hiveOS you won't regret using this Linux based mining
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: