Bitcoin Forum
August 06, 2024, 07:22:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fold card, in the UK  (Read 97 times)
clexp (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2022, 10:01:11 PM

Hi,
I wanted to trial a Fold credit card, but I live in the UK.  You can only sign up through the app, and you need a US phone number for that.  Have any of you non US nationals got a US number (how?) and then got a fold card?

A bit of googling reveals a bunch of free and non free services where you can get a US phone number.  The free ones are text only, and rotate the cell number on each text (not helpful). The paid ones are really in the small business field, not the consumer territory, and want me to have a website with them and business email and a formal US post box for further expense.  No good options.

By sim card: A number of US mobile operators provide no PAYG sim option with international roaming, and are not responsive (even to decline) requests for this.  Also no good options.

I want a Fold card because I can earn small BTC (if their hype isn't lies) on each purchase, like air miles on a credit card.  Living requires spending and if spending earns a little side BTC, then I am interested.

So then internets hive mind:
1. for reals?
2. better option anywhere?
3. How?

graciously
c
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 3872

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 03:23:40 AM

I don't think registering through a loophole(using a US sim) is a good idea; knowing that they're most probably going to request AML/KYC documents from you in the first place. They're likely to just lock up your account immediately.

Curated Crypto Airdrop Database
noorman0

Activity: 1764
Merit: 695

[Nope]No hype delivers more than hope

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2022, 04:05:07 AM

Is this the site? https://foldapp.com
I looked at the FAQ section, if they accept UK bank cards it means they are also available for UK users. Consider using only your local phone number, contact support for guidance.
Be careful if you rent a virtual phone number from abroad, they can stop their service at any time and you will lose access as I experienced sometime ago.

This space for rent.
Available in mid January 2024 - PM me
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 6251

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 07:18:58 AM

Are you sure about this though? The app apparently supports the UK but IMO, whether you're going to rent a phone number or manage to use your local one, it may just not be worth it since the only supported merchant in the UK is Starbucks:

https://support.foldapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016538152-Where-does-Fold-work-

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
clexp (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 11:09:51 AM

Thanks everyone, really helpful. 

Just that I heard an interview with a Fold card advocate (I think employee), said loads of South East Asian clients just putting everything through their Fold card, and getting BTC on normal purchases. 

Maybe I misunderstood.  South East Asian clients living in the US? (not sure how they would know) Maybe monthly purchases to South East Asian companies that do normal groceries? It made me think international card like mastercard/visa. 

I'll look forward to when it is available, says 'soon' but that was 2018.  So pandemic got in the way then. 
Thanks again
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: