Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:35:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin Built to Last a couple of decades? Will other altcoins rise up?  (Read 2615 times)
coinnewbit (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:00:18 PM

What are your thoughts?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:37:30 PM

Bitcoin will definitely be replaced by other alt coins. It was a great first start, but it simply isn't practical for everyday use, especially since we are now taxed and have to record whenever we use or recieve Bitcoins, so buying things with Bitcoin daily for some people is now out the window.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Trance

Activity: 551

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:39:57 PM

What are your thoughts?

BTC will last until 2140.

Eventually there will be FOUR main 'Unions' in this world we live in and each will have their own cryptocurrency...

...god told me

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 05:00:18 PM

all the good ideas and implementations in the other altcoins will filter into bitcoin

bitcoin's network effect is too large and provides too much value for it to be over taken

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 05:03:18 PM

all the good ideas and implementations in the other altcoins will filter into bitcoin

bitcoin's network effect is too large and provides too much value for it to be over taken

temping fate a little, here..
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:17:28 PM

Bitcoin will definitely be replaced by other alt coins. It was a great first start, but it simply isn't practical for everyday use, especially since we are now taxed and have to record whenever we use or recieve Bitcoins, so buying things with Bitcoin daily for some people is now out the window.
What makes you think the new IRS guidance doesn't apply to altcoins?

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:22:52 PM

The answers to your two questions are yes and no.  Determining which answer belongs to which question is an exercise left to the reader.
vqp

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:24:38 AM

What makes you think the new IRS guidance doesn't apply to altcoins?
The ruling applies, but other coins might be easier to hide
ar9

Activity: 352

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:59:10 AM

I actually think BTC will eventually become the medium in which people store their wealth, not exchange it.
Something faster needs to eventually take over in terms of volume, but that does not mean BTC loses its value.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 01:10:47 AM

I'd say Bitcoin is pretty safe for anyone who is alive today and reading this, for the rest of their lifetimes.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:13:04 AM

I'd say Bitcoin is pretty safe for anyone who is alive today and reading this, for the rest of their lifetimes.

That is what i would say about gold. Not bitcoin and fickle internet citizens.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:11:16 AM

I actually think BTC will eventually become the medium in which people store their wealth, not exchange it.
Something faster needs to eventually take over in terms of volume, but that does not mean BTC loses its value.

That something will be bank accounts and credit cards denominated in BTC.  In a world where bitcoin is the only currency, the majority of the population will never actually possess real bitcoins.  They will interact with it through intermediaries.

RnnrRnnr

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:13:52 AM

I think in the long run bitcoin was the foundation of cryptocurrencies. by the time gov's really start cracking down on it people are just going to move their belongings to a different coin.
coinnewbit (OP)

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:37:50 AM

The answers to your two questions are yes and no.  Determining which answer belongs to which question is an exercise left to the reader.
So would the question now be how many people determine if bitcoin can be replaced?
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:01:20 AM

Bitcoin is like beta software. Granted it has a big head start, but eventually amidst all this altcoin craziness, you are going to see an altcoin get developed by a competent team that will trump bitcoin. I'm not saying the current alt developers are all incompetent, but eventually you'll get some economists, project managers, financial analysts, tax experts, consumer psychologists, programmers and so forth all working together to create a coin with better overall technical characteristics. Since people are very rational about their financial choices (compared to just about anything else), this coin will eventually triumph.

Or, really, I expect a couple coins to triumph. I ultimately expect that 4-5 dominant coins will arise, along with scores (at least) of niche coins. The reason for multiple dominant coins is that they will each perform best at different things. Business-to-business transfers will be done with Altcoin A, paychecks will be paid out in Altcoin B, major purchases will be done with Altcoin C, in-store purchases with Altcoin D and so on. And there will be complete liquidity between them (such that articles will talk about a gradual 5% shift in exchange between Altcoin B and C due to demographic shifts over the next generation for example).

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
catoshi

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:14:23 AM

At the end of it all, we will be left with catcoin and dogecoins.  Maybe cowcoins lol.

CATS RULE - DOGS DRULE!
twiifm

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:21:47 AM

Bitcoin is like beta software. Granted it has a big head start, but eventually amidst all this altcoin craziness, you are going to see an altcoin get developed by a competent team that will trump bitcoin. I'm not saying the current alt developers are all incompetent, but eventually you'll get some economists, project managers, financial analysts, tax experts, consumer psychologists, programmers and so forth all working together to create a coin with better overall technical characteristics. Since people are very rational about their financial choices (compared to just about anything else), this coin will eventually triumph.

Or, really, I expect a couple coins to triumph. I ultimately expect that 4-5 dominant coins will arise, along with scores (at least) of niche coins. The reason for multiple dominant coins is that they will each perform best at different things. Business-to-business transfers will be done with Altcoin A, paychecks will be paid out in Altcoin B, major purchases will be done with Altcoin C, in-store purchases with Altcoin D and so on. And there will be complete liquidity between them (such that articles will talk about a gradual 5% shift in exchange between Altcoin B and C due to demographic shifts over the next generation for example).

Interesting thesis.   Makes sense though.   Im hoping someone designs a crypto thats not based on politics but good economics.

I think the challenge is to figure how it should interface w fiat.   Expecting crypto to replace fiat is the wrong direction IMO.

I think what could be interesting is how we can use current ideas like crowd sourcing and micro finance to provide financial services.   Like instead of speculating as a commodity.   If you can crowd source a mortgage.   I would not mind receiving mortgage payments if I financed 1/10th of a mortgage.

There s lots of possibilties you shake out all the libertarian nutjobs from crypto community

r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:25:36 AM

but eventually you'll get some economists, project managers, financial analysts, tax experts, consumer psychologists, programmers and so forth all working together

What makes you think an "economist" would do a better job than what we have now?  Here's my response to an economist that thinks he can do such a thing:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=374829.msg5942089#msg5942089

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:28:55 AM

Bitcoin has a head start, but might fall behind later, we will see.

Yahoo! used to be the #1 web site in the world.
Years later, MySpace was the clearly dominate Social Network.
Just Saying...

twiifm

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:38:03 AM

but eventually you'll get some economists, project managers, financial analysts, tax experts, consumer psychologists, programmers and so forth all working together

What makes you think an "economist" would do a better job than what we have now?  Here's my response to an economist that thinks he can do such a thing:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=374829.msg5942089#msg5942089

An economist can advise on economics since thats what he spends his life studying.   No different than any other experts like computer scientist advising on programming

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: