Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:33:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Typhoon Odette Vs. monetary assistance is only selectively granted  (Read 70 times)
Akieshann (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 12:10:16 PM

From the very beginning, we knew that the typhoon does nothing good, even if you are rich or poor, it will really hit everyone.

December 16,2021 day when we were hit by a very strong typhoon Odette here in Philippines, that night I thought everything would be over the strong wind almost destroyed our roof but Odette really broke our roof because the coconut trees fell towards our house and because of fear we cried out loud, we could do nothing we chose to stay inside even though the rain was already inside our house, we stabilized we put protections on our heads and no longer thinking about our wet bodies and easily we felt the wind had weakened and the rain was a bit weak but still enough for us to get wet inside and we slept even wet.

The next day, we woke up early tired and depressed we felt that morning, our old house is now dilapidated and used to have many houses now dilapidated. the dirty surroundings and the falling trees and the people who are just standing there and seeing that they are losing hope because most of them are homeless, all I can do is pity and cry.

Everyone took action to rebuild their house even if it was just patched up so that somehow they would have a place to sleep or shelter as well as we fixed our house and cleaned.

We all relied on the Government to help us and give us help or financial assistance but most of us were sad and so were we because they said that only the homeless and damaged houses would be given and I told them that I had evidence that the our house was stormed and our little money and my brother's money were used to repair the house so we didn't have anything because we didn't have any work because of the storm but they still didn't want to help us because the house should be broken, meanwhile after the storm four days before they toured our area so I'm sure all of us here have fixed the houses but they still don't want to.

So the question and voice of the people here is do they choose who will be given financial assistance?
While typhoon odette does not choose anyone !.Sad but true.
sunsilk

Activity: 2926
Merit: 620

View Profile
February 02, 2022, 09:47:40 AM

That's sad and I've seen some videos about the devastation that typhoon has left. About the assistance, it's the whole duty of your local government to help you out and assess the situation, there's no need for them to choose who are they going to help.

Just because you did a quick action for repairing your house, they shouldn't ignore you with the help that they've brought in your area. It's a disaster and everyone in your area should get treated well but I'm also thinking that the local authorities might have a tight budget and they're only looking for those terribly affected people in your community.

I wish you recovery and hopefully, you'll get up from this calamity.

TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
February 02, 2022, 06:53:46 PM

We all relied on the Government to help us and give us help or financial assistance but...

When has the government, any government, in this goddamn country been efficient at responding to such calamities? With this being part of the country's geography since time immemorial you would have thought they've already known how to prepare for it but NO.

It's a fact of life in living in this country. You can never rely on the government to do anything properly for you. I am not better off myself and wasn't able to give anything but if anyone's able to, better off to hand over the money to a charity that can manage it better.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 05, 2022, 03:42:36 PM

I wonder if blockchain could be used to improve the aid assistance situation there. Like, if there's on single blockchain used for giving aid (and aid is exclusively given through it) and that every citizen has a "wallet" linked to it, they can show that they've not received funds.

The country has a strong tradition of nepotism and the officiasl especially down the community level can be quite selective and will be stingy at handing out aid so they can share it with their own families and favorites.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
February 05, 2022, 09:39:00 PM

most governments dont just pay out automatically.

its never based on a 'everyone deserves assistance and government will help as much as they can' its always based on who 'NEEDS assistance where no other option is available'

they instead look for the vulnerable that cant repair. and help them out the most.
by admitting you already used money and already fixed it, proved to them you CAN pay and you CAN repair. thus dont NEED assistance

if you left the house in a broken state and showed a $0 bank balance and said you have no clue about how to do any repair work.  they might have helped. but because you had money and physically able to do repairs yourself. then technically you didnt NEED their support. you just WANTED their support to reimburse you for your work

the government does not act as an insurance provider to help everyone just by filing a claim of an event/incident. they only help those that cant help themselves, where the person has no other options to help themselves.
they dont care about the claim of previous damage. they only do a needs assessment of how able are you to access any other method of rectifying the problem

EG if you were homeless they wont just put you up in a hotel or give you a new house automatically. if you said you are staying at a relatives house. boom, you are classed as not NEEDING assistance.

even in the UK. if someone has no income and no food in the kitchen. the governments welfare system dont simply send you cash or a food voucher to go to a supermarket. they instead ask if you have decided to go to a food charity. and question you as to why not.
if food charities did not exist the government would have to step in fast. but because food charities do exist the government can step back and not help

in all governments there is a paradoxic paraphrase
                      [handing out money]     [making it someone elses problem]
"you can avoid passing the buck, by passing the buck

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: