Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:09:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook Bans American Trucker 'Convoy to DC 2022' Page With 139,000 Followers  (Read 267 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 06, 2022, 02:48:44 PM

I tend to feel it would be better to educate people on how to analyze information and discriminate out obvious deceit, fraud, half-truths, etc.  Basically to be less trustful and more discerning.  

Good luck with this though. There's no way that's happening here. Just the amount of idiocy during election seasons is cringe enough, like those idiots last nationals who insist Lee Kwan Yu was endorsing the then candidate-now-end-of-term dude just because they saw a quote on FB.  Angry

Now what makes us think these guys are gonna cut back on "fake news" once they are in office if it helped get them there in the first place?

As I said, I don't think that there is much hope of that.  If there is any hope whatsoever, it will fall to others to be the driving force...at significant and growing risk unfortunatly.  Maybe people like you (if you yourself stop drinking the kool-aid so much become a little more sensible about certain of your policy prescriptions.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
February 06, 2022, 09:33:30 PM

About governments doing something about them, they are getting there, although slowly and not exactly in the best path. For example in my country they are going to require social media companies to do identity checks first when creating a new account. As you can probably tell already this would also lead to other problems but I can just imagine that they will start asking more from these companies.
I don't think requiring identity checks would do much to solve the problems that social media sites create. If this is not a worldwide requirement, someone could just use a VPN to appear to be registering from another country.

Well true, this is just one insignificant country (Philippines). The government here has finally caught up to the rest of ASEAN in requiring prepaid SIMS to be registered upon purchase (ratified it like just 2 days ago) and they are then gonna require social media sites to ask for a mobile number (and an ID) upon account creation. The rationale is that trolls could be tracked when making multiple accounts but as you said, implementation is probably going to be spotty.

So I think it's just us poorer folks who might be disadvantaged at losing some anonymity for stuff like dissent. Trolls spreading misinformation is indeed a big problem but what I think is really the problem is that regulations are not often applied equally to all users.
Social media companies stopped responding to requests for information from the Hong Kong Chinese government after Hong Kong implemented one of its "national security" laws. If the Philippines government were to crack down on dissent on any major scale, hopefully, social media companies would not give that information. Obviously, if social media companies had to give the government the mobile number and ID of new accounts as they are created, that would create a different issue.

I don't think troll accounts are created individually though. I think it is more likely that bots are used to create accounts at scale that could trivially get around any geographical restrictions.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 08, 2022, 01:44:30 PM

Well true, this is just one insignificant country (Philippines). The government here has finally caught up to the rest of ASEAN in requiring prepaid SIMS to be registered upon purchase (ratified it like just 2 days ago) and they are then gonna require social media sites to ask for a mobile number (and an ID) upon account creation. The rationale is that trolls could be tracked when making multiple accounts but as you said, implementation is probably going to be spotty.

So I think it's just us poorer folks who might be disadvantaged at losing some anonymity for stuff like dissent. Trolls spreading misinformation is indeed a big problem but what I think is really the problem is that regulations are not often applied equally to all users.
Social media companies stopped responding to requests for information from the Hong Kong Chinese government after Hong Kong implemented one of its "national security" laws. If the Philippines government were to crack down on dissent on any major scale, hopefully, social media companies would not give that information. Obviously, if social media companies had to give the government the mobile number and ID of new accounts as they are created, that would create a different issue.

I don't think troll accounts are created individually though. I think it is more likely that bots are used to create accounts at scale that could trivially get around any geographical restrictions.

Though I don't trust social media giants that much, I'd definitely be thankful if they oppose this. Also I don't know the legality but I think it would be a breach of confidentiality if they handed over those personal details of existing accounts so at least those are safe I think. It's really the new accounts that might needed to be created that's the problem.

As for troll account those get created individually in some instances as I saw in a documentary. Those individuals would use one or 2 accounts and engage. For copy+paste spams I'm assuming those are separate automated accounts.
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
February 12, 2022, 06:20:01 PM

Though I don't trust social media giants that much, I'd definitely be thankful if they oppose this. Also I don't know the legality but I think it would be a breach of confidentiality if they handed over those personal details of existing accounts so at least those are safe I think. It's really the new accounts that might needed to be created that's the problem.

As for troll account those get created individually in some instances as I saw in a documentary. Those individuals would use one or 2 accounts and engage. For copy+paste spams I'm assuming those are separate automated accounts.
Social media companies routinely provide information to law enforcement about accounts in response to things like search warrants (or the jurisdictional equivalent). So if social media companies are collecting information, or if they have information, there is the risk that it will be disclosed to a government.
ammodotcom
Copper Member

Activity: 101
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2022, 09:01:19 PM

this is cancer culture. it's just what is going on to organizations that defy the government's mandate for vaccine passports. it's been a while already but cancel culture is very widespread today. Facebook preventing the people from seeing American Trucker and Canadian truckers protesting this legislation is like having a Chinese authoritarian government.

joe rogan is just an example with Spotify recently which he was also protested by a few artists because he is spreading misinformation. neil yong a rock Star protested against Rogan be banned from Spotify. upon checking Young's background turned out he is being paid by Pfizer CEO and big pharmas.

Ever hear of the Streisand Effect? The establishment's relentless efforts to deplatform dissidents is only going to spur anyone with half a brain to wonder just what it is they're trying to conceal.

Get $20 off your next $200 order via our Forum Friends page - save money on bulk ammo or your favorite calibers like 9mm ammo, 223 ammo, 12 gauge ammo, and more as we donate to your favorite pro-freedom group.
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
February 14, 2022, 10:08:11 PM

https://www.dw.com/en/canada-pm-trudeau-invokes-emergency-powers-to-deal-with-protests/a-60777581

Trudeau getting a bit nervous and invokes Emergencies Act to delegate himself more power and deal with the protests. Keep in mind the absuridity of his claims -- Trudeau seems to believe that truckers should face a vaccine mandate, despite trucking being one of the most isolated occupations aside from remote work online. Truckers are rightfully upset, and in response to governmental overreach, Trudeau has decided that he needs even more authority.
cmg777 (OP)

Activity: 478
Merit: 66

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2022, 11:38:52 PM

https://www.dw.com/en/canada-pm-trudeau-invokes-emergency-powers-to-deal-with-protests/a-60777581

Trudeau getting a bit nervous and invokes Emergencies Act to delegate himself more power and deal with the protests. Keep in mind the absuridity of his claims -- Trudeau seems to believe that truckers should face a vaccine mandate, despite trucking being one of the most isolated occupations aside from remote work online. Truckers are rightfully upset, and in response to governmental overreach, Trudeau has decided that he needs even more authority.

I was going to post this the other day but didn't get around to it:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/canada-invokes-emergencies-act-targeting-crowdfunding-and-crypto

I could have sworn this article was worded differently the other day maybe Trudeau had a good talking with CoinTelegraph, eh?

PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
February 20, 2022, 11:00:05 AM

Trudeau has sanctioned a number of "crypto wallets" that are associated with the Freedom convoy.

It appears that Trudeau wants to follow in the steps of his father, Fidel Castro, and to stomp out any dissent, along with disregard any civil liberties of his people.
cmg777 (OP)

Activity: 478
Merit: 66

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2022, 02:44:20 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2022, 06:17:40 PM by cmg777

The crazy part is that Trudeau is merely a pawn in the hands of the World Economic Forum (WEF) along with Chrystia Freeland. Sure he wants power and he certainly is not sorry about it.

A Canadian MP called this out and was told they were promoting "open disinformation" when you can look it up:

https://twitter.com/TrueNorthCentre/status/1495124955859668992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1495124955859668992%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1

Klaus Schwab the head of the World Economic Forum (WEF) has Trudeau in his pocket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbVD4tB4cVQ

Further: Klaus Schwab on Trudeau's loyalty to the World Economic Forum & not to the Canadian people.

https://twitter.com/TheNo1Waffler/status/1493702862471323661?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1493702862471323661%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1

So basically if the real police had any ball they would drag Trudeau out, throw him in jail for crimes of treason. Same could be said for our senile, corrupt overlord here in the States: Joe Biden.

So the hierarchy goes from left to right: Klaus Schwab -> Chrystia Freeland -> Justin Trudeau. More on Freeland from WEF:

https://www.weforum.org/people/chrystia-freeland

This is the same World Economic Forum that proposes that you own nothing and are happy in the near future (2030) hmmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zUjsEaKbkM

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: