Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:16:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What information does this site keep on users?  (Read 144 times)
yat97 (OP)

Activity: 171
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 07, 2022, 07:35:11 PM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (3)

Hi, do you guys keep logs of our IP addresses? If so are those deleted after a certain time or not? And under what circumstances would those IP logs ever be handed out to anyone? Under what circumstances would our sign up email be given out to anyone?

And does deleting ones account also delete logs?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 07, 2022, 07:45:22 PM
Merited by mprep (5), NeuroticFish (3), Welsh (3), DdmrDdmr (3), BitMaxz (1), Coyster (1), RickDeckard (1)

There are details about this here: https://bitcointalk.org/privacy.php

IPs are held for 6 months unless you enable limited retention (available in profile settings).
yat97 (OP)

Activity: 171
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 07, 2022, 08:57:37 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2022, 09:28:05 PM by yat97

There are details about this here: https://bitcointalk.org/privacy.php

IPs are held for 6 months unless you enable limited retention (available in profile settings).

Sweet thanks, I'm still somewhat of a noob with privacy.
Okay, so if I dont log in for half a year, or a month with limited retention on, do those logs vanish? Since I see like 3 IP locations right now.

Also, so I see email addresses get kept indefinitely. Hmm... can't delete accounts, but looks like you can delete posts, even from long ago. Hmm.... Kinda suck to delete everything posted. I guess there is no way to de-associate the current email of mine to the profile in question?
I was retarded and shot myself in the head with that one. >_<

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 07, 2022, 09:10:58 PM

Okay, so if I dont log in for half a year, or a month with limited retention on, do those logs vanish? Since I see like 3 IP locations right now.

Also, so I see email addresses get kept indefinitely. Hmm... can't delete accounts, but looks like you can delete posts, even from long ago. Hmm.... Kinda suck to delete everything posted. I guess there is no way to de-associate the current email of mine to the profile in question?
~snip~ shot myself in the head with that one. >_<

IPs are stored for either 3 months or 6 months (not a month, unless you're viewing the site as a guest).

Shooting yourself was done by saying what you did, really. Unless you're name is uncommon enough and, even then I've know people to take rare surnames for their online personas.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
February 07, 2022, 09:45:12 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2022, 09:57:18 PM by Welsh

I was retarded and shot myself in the head with that one. >_<
This is somewhat covered on the page:

Quote from: About Privacy Page
Between 6 and 24 months, the IP linearly loses least-significant bits over time. For example, the IP 123.234.210.221 would lose 8 bits and become the prefix 123.234.210.0/24 approximately 10.5 months after it was logged. For IPv6, the least-significant 66 bits are dropped after 6 months, and then the remaining bits are dropped linearly over the 1.5-year period.

So, is a less technical way of explaining it, basically your IP address loses its uniqueness in the logs as time goes on. So, at the maximum amount of time specified (24 months) your IP is only partially recognisable when compared to the initial IP logged.

User's threat models will differ between them, however its always best to try, and mitigate for the worst case. If you've posted under a IP address that you haven't obfuscated in some way, then you could potentially consider making a new account, but taking the precautions that wouldn't reveal any data you think is sensitive. Obviously, that's less than ideal for a lot of users here, but it depends on how much you value your privacy, and just how much data you might have given out. 

Unfortunately for you, if you haven't already opted into limited retention, the benefit of it is largely lost if you haven't been concealing your identity. To be honest, this is one of the reason's I'd like to see a newbie welcome screen which not only goes through rules, a questionnaire of some sort, but also explain these features, and optional opt ins at user registration.
Bitcoin SV

Activity: 626
Merit: 234

View Profile
February 07, 2022, 09:56:10 PM

Hi, do you guys keep logs of our IP addresses? If so are those deleted after a certain time or not? And under what circumstances would those IP logs ever be handed out to anyone? Under what circumstances would our sign up email be given out to anyone?

And does deleting ones account also delete logs?

Officially: City geolocation IP is kept at bitcointalk server about 6 years
UnOfficially: IP & emails of leaked bitcointalk dumps are kept forever at darknet databases

Note:
At the first request of law enforcement agencies, your IP is transferred to the right place.

Don't break the law
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3414

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2022, 04:24:23 PM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (4)

but looks like you can delete posts,
It's worth noting that the same thing doesn't apply to the ones that were used to form a topic! Despite having the ability to edit the OP/first post as a TS, you still have to deal with the following issues:

Also, so I see email addresses get kept indefinitely.
~Snipped~
I guess there is no way to de-associate the current email of mine to the profile in question?
Apart from something that only works to a small extent [changing it from the "Account Related Settings"], that's correct [unfortunately].

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████