Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:26:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what is a hard fork  (Read 1617 times)
tbearhere (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:13:59 PM

what is a hard fork please and why do we need to upgrade our wallets.   ps i never got my max wallet to work. i tried every way possible, so i gave up.
ty

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:20:36 PM

what is a hard fork please

A hard fork is any change to to protocol that is not backwards compatible.  As such, if less than 100% of the users upgrade to the software that implements the hard fork, the blockchain will split into a blockchain for users of the old software and an incompatible blockchain for users of the new software.

and why do we need to upgrade our wallets.

So that we have all the latest bug fixes and new features?

ps i never got my max wallet to work. i tried every way possible, so i gave up.
ty

What is a max wallet?
andydabeast

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:36:02 PM

you dont want your coins to be in a wallet that is syncing to an incomplete blockchain from a fork because then you can't use them. update the wallet always to be sure you are not part of the problem if a fork happens.

that is prob not technically right for some reason or another but the bottom line is to update it to keep your coins safe. the extent of my knowledge.

make your BTC grow!
https://btc-arbs.com/referral/andydabeast
sharing is caring! LTC- Ld9dvgz5UfSpNXKNXHe766huw2dxi9iTWL
tbearhere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:55:03 PM

what is a hard fork please

A hard fork is any change to to protocol that is not backwards compatible.  As such, if less than 100% of the users upgrade to the software that implements the hard fork, the blockchain will split into a blockchain for users of the old software and an incompatible blockchain for users of the new software.

and why do we need to upgrade our wallets.

So that we have all the latest bug fixes and new features?

ps i never got my max wallet to work. i tried every way possible, so i gave up.
ty

What is a max wallet?

thanks and  I mean a maxcoin wallet.

tbearhere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

you dont want your coins to be in a wallet that is syncing to an incomplete blockchain from a fork because then you can't use them. update the wallet always to be sure you are not part of the problem if a fork happens.

that is prob not technically right for some reason or another but the bottom line is to update it to keep your coins safe. the extent of my knowledge.

Thank you
sitecoin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:57:53 AM

so  i know you say,My wallet synchronous update also had problems, hoping to help.
blackvoice

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 12:11:14 PM

what is a hard fork please and why do we need to upgrade our wallets.   ps i never got my max wallet to work. i tried every way possible, so i gave up.
ty

Try delete it and use a new wallet
tbearhere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:46:29 PM

thank you
tbearhere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:57:18 PM

so  i know you say,My wallet synchronous update also had problems, hoping to help.

thank you
okaynow

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:29:10 PM

A hard fork is any change to to protocol that is not backwards compatible.  As such, if less than 100% of the users upgrade to the software that implements the hard fork, the blockchain will split into a blockchain for users of the old software and an incompatible blockchain for users of the new software.

Thank you.

ty

Try delete it and use a new wallet

Make a backup of your wallet.dat file before deleting anything.

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
tbearhere (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:34:01 PM

thanks   Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: