Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:13:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for help to the forum's security experts  (Read 339 times)
lovesmayfamilis
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4302

✿♥‿♥✿

View Profile
February 13, 2022, 02:40:53 PM

Thank you all. Smiley

Lovesmayfamilis I don't have that in my settings. It may be part of the newer versions of Firefox...  Sad
I did try Fedora 34 and 35, and Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mabox, Manjaro, and a few others.

You look like a power user on Linux systems, but reading your adventures with systems, I'm beginning to have my doubts. Smiley
At the moment, I'm working on Fedora 35. And I showed my browser example from it.  Firefox Version 97.0. To view the video, You probably needed to install additional codecs. And also check to set the time to turn off the screen during idle time.
The same as you, I am also a fan of experimenting, that is, trying out different Linux distributions. But the latter suits me at the moment, after Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, deepin, and others.
For a long time, I have used a completely simple system that is flexible for all the whims of the user, this is MX Linux.

I think a big part of the problem may have been I was using an older version of Firefox, and a version of Fedora that had reached its end-of-life a while ago. I just installed Open Suse Tumbleweed (hope it works), and, so far, everything's going smoothly.

Yesterday I read that your choice fell on this system, but again, the software will always be new, but there is no guarantee that it will always be able to work perfectly. That's why its second version is considered the most stable, isn't it?

The beauty of Linux systems is that each user can eventually find and customize the system to their liking.
https://www.linuxcapable.com/how-to-install-nvidia-495-xx-beta-drivers-on-fedora-35/

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BernyJB (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 190

View Profile
February 14, 2022, 01:37:21 PM

ETFBitcoin: Crunchbang! was a rolling release, so versions were far between. If I remember correctly (I'm really bad with dates), Corenominal abandoned crunchbang! development in 2015 or so. Either way, yeah, it's been a long time. It's sorely missed. In fact, at least as far as I'm concerned, the fact it's been talked about after all these years is a clear testament to its quality.

I will try Open Mandriva now, see if it works. If  it doesn't, I guess I'm gonna have to take a look at that unofficial version...

Your guess is as good as mine... Huh
I ran the update. It had to download 368 files (which is a lot, but not unheard of in a fresh install), and it started stalling and eventually stopping after downloading a few files. Then all of a sudden, when I was at about file 160, it went back to 0.  Angry
That's when I quit, rebooted and it never started again.

Lovesmayfamilis: Oh, trust me, I'm not a power user, not by a long shot. Grin I'm a rookie when it comes to Linux. I just happen to love it.
I don't know. I've been using VLC probably since 2010 or so, and I never had to install anything on it. That's the one thing I loved: it just worked.
In any case, I'm not a fan of experimenting at all. I loved crunchbang! because I installed it once and forgot about it. Then, I loved Fedora (with the caveat that I had to reinstall it every couple of years or so) for the same reason: I installed it, installed the apps I used, and copied my home directory in full to the new version, and voilá!, no fuss. That changed with F34.

I don't know, maybe I'm spoiled. Maybe I was lucky that all my distros worked flawlessly out of the box before, and now I'm just finding a facet of Linux I didn't know about. But reality is I've been at it for over a year, and my hardware is starting to feel it, and so is my patience. We'll see how it goes with Open Mandriva, but this is getting on my very last nerve.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
February 15, 2022, 12:39:36 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (2)

Something sounds broken in your configuration if updates are failing to install. I'm not sure if I would point that to being compromised in some way or if it's just a configuration error. Especially, since you said other distro's haven't worked in the past. It might be just because it seems you like to use older distributions which are no longer supported. I think before going through the following, it might be worth considering updating to a clean install of a newer Linux which has long term support, and go through that to see if the same inconsistencies pop up. Ubuntu or Debian are the best for this I'd like to think, they're generally the most used, and most supported. I know you've previously suggested you don't like Ubuntu, but if we can get a minimally working system, then we can potentially rule out driver issues or we could actually pinpoint the difference between your normal operating systems, and more modern up to date ones.

Otherwise, what I would do is monitor your system monitor, and also look at your incoming, and outgoing network connections for a long period of time. See if there's anything suspicious, and if there's we can work from there. Otherwise, I actually think this might be pointing to a problem at the operating system level.  The configuration errors might not be down to user error, but in compatible drivers/hardware, which is rare I'll be honest especially if your on a modern machine. I use fairly older laptops to do work, so I've come across my fair share of nuisances when it comes to bugs with Linux, so I know how frustrating they can be at times.

If your updates aren't working or they're failing weirdly, I would check your sources.list, and see if there's any weird repo or if there's just a repo that's incompatible with your software/hardware which could be causing the problem. I've seen people add repo's for the wrong architecture from time to time which can cause issues when updating, but then Linux usually warns you something is adrift in your sources.list.

I guess the question is; is your cpu consumption, and disk consumption only high when your connected to the internet? This doesn't prove anything either way, but if the resources are still being used without being connected to the internet, it might point to it not being a miner. Monitoring the network connections through the terminal should point out any miner, since I'd assume they'd need to make connections from outside of your machine.

I never hear that distro, but it would be great if it works on your laptop.
Old distro reminds me of my days dabbling in Slackware.

I don't know, maybe I'm spoiled. Maybe I was lucky that all my distros worked flawlessly out of the box before, and now I'm just finding a facet of Linux I didn't know about. But reality is I've been at it for over a year, and my hardware is starting to feel it, and so is my patience. We'll see how it goes with Open Mandriva, but this is getting on my very last nerve.
Shouldn't be luck, unless your using a older computer then pretty much all newer hardware works flawlessly out of the box. The only time you start running into issues is when there's older hardware, although usually this doesn't cause problems with updating, unless there's some kind of corruption or incompatibility in your sources.list.
BernyJB (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 190

View Profile
February 15, 2022, 01:53:34 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4)

I will try Open Mandriva now, see if it works. If  it doesn't, I guess I'm gonna have to take a look at that unofficial version...

I never hear that distro, but it would be great if it works on your laptop.

Well, it didn't, and neither did Mageia. Cry
I'm off to MX Linux now...

Your guess is as good as mine... Huh
I ran the update. It had to download 368 files (which is a lot, but not unheard of in a fresh install), and it started stalling and eventually stopping after downloading a few files. Then all of a sudden, when I was at about file 160, it went back to 0.  Angry
That's when I quit, rebooted and it never started again.

I never use Solus or it's package manager (eopkg), but i definitely never experience problem with different package manager. While it's bad experience for you, take note Solus is rolling release distro, so i wouldn't expect stability from it.

But my point is I used crunchbang! for years, it was a rolling release, and it was a rock.  Huh
I don't know. I couldn't find much information on MX Linux (other than it comes with Fluxbox, which is almost as good as Openbox), so I don't know whether it's a rolling release or not. But to be honest, I was more than a bit upset yesterday afternoon, so I may take another look now...

It's not 90s or early 2000, most distro these days should able to work flawlessly or with little problem these days.

My point exactly. It's like people defend their right not to learn from their mistakes.
I mean, Linux was the big promise when LT developed the kernel, yet it's been DECADES and it's still nothing compared to Windows. Now, anybody that has used any Linux distro for 5 minutes understands it's far superior to Windows, not to mention it's free, yet people keep coming up with distros that are buggy, difficult to set up, unstable, high maintenance, you name it. Don't they understand that system doesn't work?

Something sounds broken in your configuration if updates are failing to install. I'm not sure if I would point that to being compromised in some way or if it's just a configuration error. Especially, since you said other distro's haven't worked in the past. It might be just because it seems you like to use older distributions which are no longer supported. I think before going through the following, it might be worth considering updating to a clean install of a newer Linux which has long term support, and go through that to see if the same inconsistencies pop up. Ubuntu or Debian are the best for this I'd like to think, they're generally the most used, and most supported. I know you've previously suggested you don't like Ubuntu, but if we can get a minimally working system, then we can potentially rule out driver issues or we could actually pinpoint the difference between your normal operating systems, and more modern up to date ones.

Otherwise, what I would do is monitor your system monitor, and also look at your incoming, and outgoing network connections for a long period of time. See if there's anything suspicious, and if there's we can work from there. Otherwise, I actually think this might be pointing to a problem at the operating system level.  The configuration errors might not be down to user error, but in compatible drivers/hardware, which is rare I'll be honest especially if your on a modern machine. I use fairly older laptops to do work, so I've come across my fair share of nuisances when it comes to bugs with Linux, so I know how frustrating they can be at times.

That would be my guess as well, but then I switch the hard drive to another one with F30, and everything works flawlessly.
I don't. I've been stuck with F30 for over a year now, because I'm unable to find a working replacement, and it's getting tremendously annoying. My laptop is from 2016, so it's not new, but it's not a dinosaur either, and so far it's been working great. It's a cheap Chinese generic one with a 1.5 GHz Celeron I bought to have a lighter (and cheaper) one to get to work, as I had a 17" HP that weighed a ton. But the HP died on me, and this one keeps on going.
I didn't think about monitoring network traffic. I can see that on Conky at all times, and it is a bit high, but nothing to write home about (under 6k download, and under 1K upload, that having 4 open tabs on Binance, which keep updating all the time).
The more I think about it, the more I believe it's just because I have a bunch of open tabs on Firefox, nothing to do with mining or the like.
We'll see... MX Linux is Debian based, so it should (hopefully) work. But, to be honest, it's a good thing I'm broke, cause I'm getting ready to light the computer on fire.  Angry

If your updates aren't working or they're failing weirdly, I would check your sources.list, and see if there's any weird repo or if there's just a repo that's incompatible with your software/hardware which could be causing the problem. I've seen people add repo's for the wrong architecture from time to time which can cause issues when updating, but then Linux usually warns you something is adrift in your sources.list.

I guess the question is; is your cpu consumption, and disk consumption only high when your connected to the internet? This doesn't prove anything either way, but if the resources are still being used without being connected to the internet, it might point to it not being a miner. Monitoring the network connections through the terminal should point out any miner, since I'd assume they'd need to make connections from outside of your machine.

Oh, I never touch my repo list. The weird part is all those were fresh installs, and they failed right from the beginning.

Shouldn't be luck, unless your using a older computer then pretty much all newer hardware works flawlessly out of the box. The only time you start running into issues is when there's older hardware, although usually this doesn't cause problems with updating, unless there's some kind of corruption or incompatibility in your sources.list.

Right now I'm at a loss. I have a Linux course I expect to follow in the near future (if I can ever get VLC to work), but right now I just want a working distro, nothing fancy. Maybe in a couple of years I can start tinkering with LFS, and get a distro to my liking...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: