Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:04:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is hardly "doomed" because of the IRS ruling  (Read 3703 times)
s_s (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:33:25 PM

There was ALWAYS destined to be tax implications to investing and transacting in Bitcoin if it was a technology that truly had sufficient utility to survive.

Here in my mind is a rather good statement of why the current actions of the IRS is actually a positive advancement for Bitcoin.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/3-reasons-the-irs-bitcoin-ruling-is-good-for-bitcoin-cm339333

Record keeping is going to add certain complexities...but it seems to be that was almost always destined to be the case regardless of how taxation was ultimately chosen to be handled.

Somehow it doesn't seem to me that the necessary record keeping can't eventually be handled with a bit of code.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 03:56:46 PM

Good article and agree with 2 of his 3 points.

Now on to FinCEN vs. IRS....
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:00:17 PM

there are no taxes or book keeping a person has to do to buy things with fiat money.
why would anyone choose to use bitcoin now.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:14:25 PM

There was ALWAYS destined to be tax implications to investing and transacting in Bitcoin if it was a technology that truly had sufficient utility to survive.

Here in my mind is a rather good statement of why the current actions of the IRS is actually a positive advancement for Bitcoin.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/3-reasons-the-irs-bitcoin-ruling-is-good-for-bitcoin-cm339333

Record keeping is going to add certain complexities...but it seems to be that was almost always destined to be the case regardless of how taxation was ultimately chosen to be handled.

Somehow it doesn't seem to me that the necessary record keeping can't eventually be handled with a bit of code.

Just read the article and I am optimistic about the news.

Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:17:51 PM

Because it's best use cases have nothing to do with using it as daily spending money.

Ok... why would merchants want to accept bitcoin now when people can't use it as currency? The convenient and less risky use of bitcoin for purchasing was a strong use case

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:21:42 PM

Because it's best use cases have nothing to do with using it as daily spending money.

Ok... why would merchants want to accept bitcoin now when people can't use it as currency? The convenient and less risky use of bitcoin for purchasing was a strong use case

Where did I say anything about merchants?

You said best use was nothing to do with daily spending money, it seemed like that was one of the strong points to me

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:28:53 PM

there are no taxes or book keeping a person has to do to buy things with fiat money.

What about income tax, sales tax, gift tax, property tax etc? I pay tax on all my their money.  Bottom line, In the U.S. gains in wealth are taxable. None of us like what the gov does with our tax money, but the money to run society has to come from somewhere.  Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bubbagumpshrimp

Activity: 35

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:36:04 PM

The question is will bitcoin/alts be like moonshine of the future. Some big players pay and some hide in the woods and make the shine.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:40:12 PM

What about income tax, sales tax, gift tax, property tax etc? I pay tax on all my their money.  Bottom line, In the U.S. gains in wealth are taxable. None of us like what the gov does with our tax money, but the money to run society has to come from somewhere.  Undecided

the point is not that you have to pay tax.
the point is that with bitcoin you need to keep track of your tax liability after every purchase.
no such hassle with fiat money.

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:00:18 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong please,  but is this saying that every time you make a purchase using bitcoin you have to pay capital gains taxes if the value of bitcoin increased Huh  Wouldn't that make it pointless to use bitcoin as a means to buy things?

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:08:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong please,  but is this saying that every time you make a purchase using bitcoin you have to pay capital gains taxes if the value of bitcoin increased Huh  Wouldn't that make it pointless to use bitcoin as a means to buy things?

So do you think if you use foreign currency, you wont have to pay tax if the exchange rate has gone up?

For example, if you have EU or pounds in your bank, and you decide to purchase something online who takes those currencies, the moment you spend your EU or pounds, you have a tax liability to record because thats considered as exchange currencies. (selling your EU or pounds for USD)
7queue

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:27:46 PM

Actually there are rules but the general population doesn't take the time to research them never mind follow them. Catch-22 for the Fed if they did. Remedy comes to mind for FRNs(USD).

Federal Income Tax does not go to run society but to pay interest on the fiat(as Debt) we use as money, you can find the laws at the National Archives/Library of Congress.

Ignore-ance, counted on by your friendly nation state central banker.

8 )

In know way do I NO what I'm talking about!

8 )
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:32:42 PM

What are the best use cases?

How often does Grandma send money overseas?

If you want mass adoption, you need to cater to the needs of the masses.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
s_s (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:37:23 PM

I'm not sure how much "Grandma" sends....but there are 100's of billions of USD sent by others each year (v.s. the current 7 billion dollar Bitcoin market cap).

http://www.consumersinternational.org/our-work/financial-services/key-projects/global-money-transfers/

And the fees amount currently to 10-20%.

This is only one of those "best uses".
Robert Paulson

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:51:24 PM

I'm not sure how much "Grandma" sends....but there are 100's of billions of USD sent by others each year (v.s. the current 7 billion dollar Bitcoin market cap).

http://www.consumersinternational.org/our-work/financial-services/key-projects/global-money-transfers/

this is not what satoshi intended when he created bitcoin.
bitcoin was supposed to replace fiat money and remove the banker's power to print money at will.
if all bitcoin is good for is sending money abroad cheaper than western union/bank wire transfer then bitcoin is failing its mission.
s_s (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:11:32 PM

this is not what satoshi intended when he created bitcoin.
bitcoin was supposed to replace fiat money and remove the banker's power to print money at will.
if all bitcoin is good for is sending money abroad cheaper than western union/bank wire transfer then bitcoin is failing its mission.

I'm sorry...but in my own opinion (which likely is not shared by you...and most likely some others on this board)...the notion that Bitcoin was EVER going to completely replace fiat currency is and was an ideal NEVER likely to be realized.
herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:14:30 PM

I was under the impression that the appeal of Bitcoin was for it to be a currency that can survive and thrive despite government attempts to thwart it... a kind of cockroach currency. Or an improvised currency like cigarettes in a prison. Am I wrong?
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:39:19 PM

Of course governments cannot call it a currency, so Denmark says there is no tax, US says it is property ... so what? A commodity is property too. They said, BTC is like digital gold, thanks for the flowers   Cheesy

It should be good for the price of Bitcoin because it encourages people to hold on to their coins.

Large BTC holders aka whales in the USA will think twice about selling large amounts of their coins. Spending them slowly over time is much smarter.

There is also the issue of being a money transmitter that goes away, which is also good.

Lets see how long it takes for this to sink in.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:07:36 PM

There is also the issue of being a money transmitter that goes away, which is also good.

Lets see how long it takes for this to sink in.

That sounds right, if it is not money then moving bitcoins around does not make you a money transmitter. So that should open the doors to a lot more business and make it easier to shift funds in/out of BTC - and other altcoins.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:18:51 PM

I was under the impression that the appeal of Bitcoin was for it to be a currency that can survive and thrive despite government attempts to thwart it... a kind of cockroach currency. Or an improvised currency like cigarettes in a prison. Am I wrong?
That's what I think also. A lot of people say it will be destroyed by a government, yet no one has convinced me that there is a way for them to do it.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: