Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:43:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Node: (1) Ramifications of 0 in, (2) ISP Bypass for Port Forwarding  (Read 110 times)
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 62

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2022, 11:14:28 AM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (4), RickDeckard (3), pooya87 (2)

Hello All,

The content of my post has been touched on in this sub-forum, but my take is a little different, so please bear with me!
I am running a BTC Full Node, 24/7, on Windows 11, in a developing country, the Dominican Republic. I have two linked issues, so I am posting them simultaneously.

My concern is that I’m running less than a Full Node because my node is not optimized. When I go to the Network section of the Bitcoin Core Node window Information tab, I see 10 connections,  (In: 0 / Out: 10). Zero in must indicate that although my node is functioning it is not optimized.

Question 1: Exactly what does zero in mean? What data is missing? (In the Peers tab I see 10 User Agents and I can watch data received in real time, so data is coming in. Data  in but zero connections sounds contradictory.

Now the linked problem. I’m showing In = 0 is because Port triggering (forwarding) settings in my router/modem via Port 8333 or a range between 1024 and 65535 do not exist, so I cannot make the changes I need.  (I have enabled Port 8333 in the LAN Wi-Fi of Windows 11 and the Firewall as well, so Windows is ready to receive via 8333.)  The port I need is closed at a higher ISP level. If this is true, and I should confirm it, a router with the settings I need will not work.

This closed port issue is confirmed when I go to bitnodes.io and enter my IP address with 8333. I get a “red bar, system unreachable", which means that my client is not accepting connections from other nodes.

In a country where FB jokes are more important than blockchains, I’m not sanguine about getting a sympathetic ear when I go to tech support and see if they can accommodate me. But I will try.

Question 2: Any work-around to bypass my ISP's restriction?

[FYI, I have read https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node  It’s pretty general for new people. I have also searched my router for UpnP. No setting.
Looked at “telnet to port 8333 . . . Couldn’t find a clearly stated solution.]

Again, any work-around to bypass my ISP? I am determined to run a bona fide Full Node!! Thank you!

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 7512

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
February 21, 2022, 11:45:38 AM
Merited by pooya87 (2)

Question 1: Exactly what does zero in mean? What data is missing? (In the Peers tab I see 10 User Agents and I can watch data received in real time, so data is coming in. Data  in but zero connections sounds contradictory.

"In:0" refer to 0 incoming connection. It means there aren't any node which connect to your node. You should check "Network" tab to see total data you sent/receive.

Now the linked problem. I’m showing In = 0 is because Port triggering (forwarding) settings in my router/modem via Port 8333 or a range between 1024 and 65535 do not exist, so I cannot make the changes I need.  (I have enabled Port 8333 in the LAN Wi-Fi of Windows 11 and the Firewall as well, so Windows is ready to receive via 8333.)  The port I need is closed at a higher ISP level. If this is true, and I should confirm it, a router with the settings I need will not work.

Most router/modem usually have port forwarding feature. It's possible you couldn't find it since you don't use admin account. If you're willing to share type of your router/modem, some member might able to help.

Usually it comes down to 3 option,
1. Use non default port.
2. Use VPN which allow port forwarding.
3. Configure Bitcoin Core to use Tor connection and setup hidden service.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6304

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2022, 11:50:28 AM

Also are you obligated to use the router your ISP gave you?
Here in the US (and in a lot of places in the world) they give you a really cheap one that works. BUT, you can go out to your local electronics store and get a much better one.

What is the make / model of your router? Might just be a setting in an oddball place that you have to find to set it.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PawGo
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1367

View Profile
February 21, 2022, 05:02:42 PM

Could tell us more which router do you have? Which model, maybe from which ISP?
Are you connected directly to network (via router) or you a part of network managed by someone (like network in students house or sth)?
Do you have fixed external IP or is it dynamic?
Is it possible to try other way of connecting to Internet? For example if you have wifi card to connect to hotspot created by your phone?
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2022, 01:23:01 AM

"In:0" refer to 0 incoming connection. It means there aren't any node which connect to your node. You should check "Network" tab to see total data you sent/receive."

First, EFTbitcoin, I much appreciate your comments. When I go to the node window for Network Traffic I see MB's of data both sent and received. How can I be receiving data if  I have 0 incoming connections?

"Most router/modem usually have port forwarding feature. It's possible you couldn't find it since you don't use admin account. If you're willing to share type of your router/modem, some member might able to help."

I am not in the United States. My modem/router is not "most." It's an Altice. Model #, etc. Who cares? I read the manual; I entered the router directly and checked every config. setting I could find. There is no port forwarding. I went to the main office today and spoke with tech support. I spoke very clear Spanish. I couldn't translate "port triggering" so I translated as puerta virtual in which you enter a code to receive data, for example, from a game in the cloud. They never heard of this function and gave me the same manual that I already read that didn't have port forwarding. So useless to even bother. I may buy from Amazon and have it sent here a cheapie TP-Link router/modem--I can download the manual free before buying to confirm the settings I need--and swap that out.

Usually it comes down to 3 option,
1. Use non default port.
2. Use VPN which allow port forwarding.
3. Configure Bitcoin Core to use Tor connection and setup hidden service.

(1) How can I use a non-default port if I cannot change any ports?
(2) After posting, I signed up for Proton Mail VPN. It does not have a port forwarding function, and tech support confirmed that, and I received a refund. Do you know of another VPN that does support port triggering? (I will google too).
(3) I have downloaded the TOR browser/app and have turned on that preference in the Core. But there was some problem. I will re-visit that and see what's going on.

Sorry, EFTbitcoin, I really messed  up my formatting but I couldn't find an "undo."

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2022, 01:40:19 AM

Here in the US (and in a lot of places in the world) they give you a really cheap one that works. BUT, you can go out to your local electronics store and get a much better one.

What is the make / model of your router? Might just be a setting in an oddball place that you have to find to set it.

-Dave

You make a good point. Now I remember that years back, when I lived in the U.S., that you could, instead of paying a monthly rental fee for a plain vanilla modem/router, that you could upgrade and buy your own and cancel the rental fee and just swap out.

I'm going to try the same here. I think that TP-Link has decent budget products and I've done well by them. Amazon lists four budget ones. Before purchasing, I will download the manual, say for TP-Link AC2100, around 50 USD and confirm if it has the port triggering setting. Then I will have a device sent here and swap out and hope that my ISP doesn't have shenanigans with port blocking above the level of the user's device . . . It's a 50 dollar gamble but could solve my problem.

I have gone through the settings within the device and outside the device (the manual) and there is nothing. I went to tech support at the main office today and explained in very clear Spanish what I needed and they had never heard of a modem having virtual ports and had no idea what I was talking about and handed me the same manual that I already read that had no settings for port forwarding and this ISP sells only this modem. Another family member, Spanish fluent, will call tomorrow and see if they have a business class modem.  We'll see, again, if they even understand what he is talking about. All evidence points to my wasting my time with this ISP--one of the  better ones in the D.R. Another, very popular, is still using DSL. I went to that office too and explained port forwarding and they had never heard of it.

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2022, 01:59:49 AM

Could tell us more which router do you have? Which model, maybe from which ISP?
Are you connected directly to network (via router) or you a part of network managed by someone (like network in students house or sth)?
Do you have fixed external IP or is it dynamic?
Is it possible to try other way of connecting to Internet? For example if you have wifi card to connect to hotspot created by your phone?

Hmm, are you referring to a fixed vs. dynamic DNS. I know I can change that. But if I do, how does that help me to open port 8111? The two seem like apples and oranges to me.

And ditto for connected my pc to my smartphone hotspot. But, again, how does that enable me to change port settings?

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2022, 02:40:01 AM

-Dave

Dave, I apologize if I already replied. I was looking at this sub-forum for a "reply all" but I cannot find that.

My hope for buying a modem/router that allows port forwarding was just dashed. I made a mistake. I must buy a CABLE modem/router and that's another whole ball game because ISP's here don't list compatible cable modems, they tend to be expensive, and I have no way of knowing if one will work in advance, and they don't seem to sell "international cable modems." At Amazon, for example, they all state explicity "approved by Comcast" etc. etc. so I feel like I'm playing with fire here and meanwhile will look at other options that members here have suggested.

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
erictan90

Activity: 22
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 22, 2022, 03:10:28 AM
Merited by odolvlobo (1)

https://www.lopp.net/bitcoin-information/full-node.html

I hope this link is helpful to you.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)