Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to change thermal pad on memory?  (Read 115 times)
Rikimaruu (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 01:58:10 PM

I got a Vega 56 from a friend and the temp reach 60°C when mining ETH using HiveOS but the memory temp is up to 74°C  is this normal mem temp it something to worry about?

https://qenetex.com
🔵 Qenetex: non-custodial storage
✅ Find best exchange rates with Exchange Engine, up to 100 providers 🖥
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1053

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 02:08:39 PM

I got a Vega 56 from a friend and the temp reach 60°C when mining ETH using HiveOS but the memory temp is up to 74°C  is this normal mem temp it something to worry about?
On the reference video cards, the temperatures are 5 degrees Celsius less, the one that you have good results. If the temperature of the video cheat does not rise above 75°C and the memory temperature does not exceed 85°C, I would not change anything. And I would clean the dust as needed, or 1 time in 4-6 months.
Zotak337

Activity: 232
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 05:31:19 PM

You have nothing to worry about, most Vega 56 I've seen mining on YouTube are hashing away at 60+ temp and 70+ on mem temp this is how an HBM2 memory is supposed to work.

►           ►     enVoy        ▐ │     Sustainably Green Trust in Trade     │ ▌     ◄           ◄
►            ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK            ◄
[v]  Facebook     [v]  Twitter     [v]  Telegram     [v]  Medium     [v]  Linkedin     [v]  Reddit
5W-KILO

Activity: 234
Merit: 35

Moon.win

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 06:04:23 PM

If your friend was running the card at a cooler temp then change the location of the motherboard but honestly the temp on mem isn't bad, you can increase fan speed as well if you have table fan in your home you can also add this but for vega cards 75°C isn't a cause for alarm.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
February 27, 2022, 03:47:09 AM

Don’t change the Thermal pads. The temperature is perfectly fine. If you change them there is a good chance you won’t buy the right ones and you will either have overheating issues on the memory due to the pads being too thin or you will have overheating issues on the core due to the pads being too thick.

For some reason it’s very difficult to source the correct pads for the memory and VRMs components. Many suppliers sell you the wrong material or size/thickness and you pretty much dig the old ones out of the garbage and put them back in, at least that’s how it was for me.

Crypt0Gore

Activity: 868
Merit: 272

View Profile
February 27, 2022, 10:28:38 AM

It's hard to install thermal pad on Vega cards, if you got the wrong pad your mem temp will increase alot, I stay away from AMD cards for few reasons like this one, Nvidia graphic cards are the best.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                             █
   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          █
            ▄▄████████▄▄     █
     ▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄   █
          █████▀▀  ▀▀█████▄  █
          █████      ██████  █
          █████▄▄  ▄▄█████▀  █
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▀   █
            ▀▀████████▀▀     █
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          █
█                             █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
ROLLBOTS
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
   PLAY NOW   
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
ANSEL_2.0

Activity: 271
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 28, 2022, 08:59:13 AM

Trying to visit hive OS forum and search for your issue you will see many miners using Vega 56 and 64 gpus at 74 °C temp on memory I believe your GPU is working the way it's supposed to, no need to change thermal pad.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
February 28, 2022, 05:39:34 PM

It's hard to install thermal pad on Vega cards, if you got the wrong pad your mem temp will increase alot, I stay away from AMD cards for few reasons like this one, Nvidia graphic cards are the best.
"if you got the wrong pad your mem temp will increase alot"
Joke?

This apply to any gpu out there, not only AMD ones.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1053

View Profile
March 02, 2022, 10:35:12 AM

Do you think if you install the wrong thickness thermal pad on an nvidia graphics card, it will work fine?
Replacing thermal pads on AMD and Nvidia graphics cards is the same if you have a good tool
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000005101004.html
Determining the thickness of thermal pads with a regular ruler can give an error.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: