Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:26:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All internet connections are not the same...  (Read 1680 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 06:49:36 PM

I made a post a week or two back asking what your number of connections on the bitcoin client was showing.

Now I have something quite odd to share with you.

I have ~5 dynamic IP addresses allocated to my apartment.

I was getting ~40 connections max after a few weeks with my windows 7 computer plugged directly into the wall.

Unplug that same computer, and hook it to the internet via Wifi and I have been seeing a steady 8 connections for the last few days. 8 seems to be it's limit for some reason..? Anyone know why?

I ran bitcoin on an ubuntu box in the same apartment and it immediately jumped to 60 or 70 connections within minutes of starting it up.

So I can safely say, that all internet connections (when it comes to bitcoin) are not treated equally.

The real question is why?

I can connect to the same number of seeders whether I download a torrent through my windows computer or my ubuntu box.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 06:53:57 PM

Are you NAT'd on wifi and not ethernet possibly?
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 07:22:38 PM

Aren't we all?
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 07:27:02 PM

Did you point your external IP:8333 into your internal W7 IP:8333 for both ethernet and wifi?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 11:00:02 PM

Stopping at 8 connections implies that inbound connections are being rejected.  If all you did was add the wifi router into the mix, it's probably configured by default to deny incoming connections on unknown ports.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 11:10:57 PM

creighto is right. routers come with ports closed by default(with maybe couple of exeptions - dns, www, UPnP). I just tried it on one of my machines. If I use wireless router with default config, I get steady 8 connections, but if I enable port forwarding, number of connections encreases to 32
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 06:38:53 PM

Stopping at 8 connections implies that inbound connections are being rejected.  If all you did was add the wifi router into the mix, it's probably configured by default to deny incoming connections on unknown ports.

You were correct!

It was because I did not forward the ports properly.

However that still leaves me with a question about platforms.

Why does bitcoin on linux jump up to 60-70 connections within minutes, and bitcoin on windows 7 takes weeks to get up to 30-40?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 08:27:24 PM

You were correct!

It was because I did not forward the ports properly.

However that still leaves me with a question about platforms.

Why does bitcoin on linux jump up to 60-70 connections within minutes, and bitcoin on windows 7 takes weeks to get up to 30-40?

Because Windoze sucks?

I can't help you here, as I don't use Windoze if I have a choice.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: